Pre & Post workout food

Options
I get up every morning and go to the gym and work with my trainer. I need suggestions on pre & post work out food.
Today I had: an homemade oatmeal muffin & 1 cup of skim milk. Last week, 1 day I ate a peanut butter sandwich before going to the gym. Another day I had Malt O Meal. Should I be adding protein at this time of day? Pre workout? maybe a hard boiled egg or a scrambled one?

Also I have noticed that about 30 minutes after I get home from the gym..I am starving! I feel like this is a dangerous time for me., so I try to be really careful about what I consume. It is a mid morning snack because it won't be lunch time yet.
One day I had 6 triscuit crackers and a baby bell cheese. That did seem to take the edge off quite well. Should I also add protein post work out?

ok gang...any suggestions/thoughts/comments?

:smile:
~NettyB~

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    Options
    You have about an hour of opportunity post-workout to really maximize your nutrition. This is the time when you want to reload all of the carbs you used during your workout, and add some protein if you're muscle building. A good ratio (agreed on by several organizations like the ISSA, ACE, and Beachbody) is 2 carbs for every protein.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Definitely protein and carbs post workout. Pre workout I tend to just stick to anything that will not have my guts churning during a workout. Usually oatmeal or a slice of high fiber toast with peanut butter.
  • jedinight32
    Options
    Hi there,

I agree with DKev about protein and carbs post workout (especially if you finished a long run). As for a pre workout suggestion maybe a whole grain waffle with some peanut butter on it or some trail mix and for a post workout I usually have my protein shake with fat free milk but sometimes I have a glass of low fat chocolate milk or if you have time maybe an english muffin with a scrambeled egg and slice of cheese.
  • brookeg20
    Options
    I usually eat a couple graham crackers about an hour before I workout, and then after I have a glass of low fat chocolate milk and sometimes a banana too depending on how hard the workout was. Everything that I have read about post workout food is protien and carbs within 30 mins of finishing the workout.
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Protein is a MUST when working out
    I start my day with an egg on a wheat English muffin (Aunt Millie's is only 100 cal)
    And IMMEDIATELY after working out I have a protein shake (Muscle Milk is my fav, but I also drink "GNC Lean Protein, and sometimes I have a SlimFast)

Your body will not recover from your workout without you putting the right things in it (aka protein and fiber!)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Protein should be a part of every meal or snack.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Gotta get that protein in there!!!

I do a 46 gram protein shake before and after each workout every day. It really helps repair your muscles after you've been ripping them to shreds!!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout I'll usually have some oatmeal with nuts and coconut milk with maybe a little protein powder thrown in. Post is a protein smoothie with greek yogurt.
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I also workout with a personal trainer. Pre-workout, I usually have a half protein bar or a protein shake (about an hour before). After the workout, it's breakfast time for me. So I load up on eggs and veggies.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You have about an hour of opportunity post-workout to really maximize your nutrition. This is the time when you want to reload all of the carbs you used during your workout, and add some protein if you're muscle building. A good ratio (agreed on by several organizations like the ISSA, ACE, and Beachbody) is 2 carbs for every protein.

Such bro science...
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    peanut butter (or almond butter) w/ whole wheat toast.. and a cup of milk (or silk milk, or coconut water).
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i like a protein shake post work out. i make it to be about 400-700 caloires, which is about what i burn at the gym. so right there, i drink back my exercise calories. doesn't upset my stomach, and takes that edge off that some people have an hour or so after the gym when they want to EAT ALL THE THINGS!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Before the gym, it really depends what my schedule looks like, but shakes usually sit better if I'm in a time crunch.

After the gym, I'm the guy that EATS ALL THE THINGS! (Which usually include a giant helping of eggs, mixed with whatever I'm feeling like)
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Wheat bread with natural PB but now I am eating a banana/whey protein prior and then another whey protein shake after.....the banana really adds a boost for me!!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Pre workout a simple carb & a complex carb, post workout a simple carb a protein, then about a hr later protein in solid form and a small complex carb.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Assuming you meet adequate macronutrient intake by end-of-day and assuming you aren't using a fasted training protocol, I would let personal preference and performance dictate your pre/post workout nutrition.
  • dwurth2
    dwurth2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake pre workout--about an hour before, then after working out I have protein with a complex carb. Since you workout in the morning, and egg omelet with 1/3 cup oatmeal would be great post workout. You want to try to eat every 3 hours eating a protein with a complex carb at every meal.
  • dwurth2
    dwurth2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say the advice I gave comes directly from my trainer.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake pre workout--about an hour before, then after working out I have protein with a complex carb. Since you workout in the morning, and egg omelet with 1/3 cup oatmeal would be great post workout. You want to try to eat every 3 hours eating a protein with a complex carb at every meal.

Just wanted to say the advice I gave comes directly from my trainer.

None of that is necessary and if it is a burden to you to eat every 3 hrs, just find something that better fits your preference. There is no metabolic advantage to increased meal frequency
  • hillman18
    hillman18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I read that chocolate milk is one of the best post workout refreshers! I gulp a cup of it right when I get home & it holds me off from snacking while cooking dinner.

Pre-work out, I make energy bites. They consist of peanut butter, honey, wheat germ (or flaxseed), mini chocolate chips & rolled oats. One ball is about 135 calories & gives me the little "umph" i need w/o filling me up so that I feel too full to workout. If I don't have those handy, I eat a sliced apple w/2 tbsp peanut butter. 1 apple gives you the same amount of "enery burst" as a cup of coffee.

I like to keep things simple yet delicious!! :-)