Pre & Post workout food

Options
2»

Replies

• soozeeg
    soozeeg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Post workout try a protien shake/smoothie.
  • LVBelleAme
    LVBelleAme Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a morning work out person and the thought of eating anything before a workout makes me want to hurl. But post workout I have my morning juice (from my juicer, none of the store bought stuff) and then by the time I get to work a bowl of oatmeal and some kind of fruit. So far it's working for me <fingers crossed>.
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    I workout in the morning too.
    You need to have several options, that are easy, and something you enjoy - That way, you will stick with it.

I think, that fruit like a banana or grapes are a great option for before your workout. Or half a banana with some peanut butter. But whatever you choose, make it simple and easy.
    For after your workout, you need protein. Personally, I love me some Greek Yogurt BUT you have to do the plain, and add your own fruit. The pre-made with fruit are way to high in sugar! Adding milled flax seed in there will also help with hunger - You will NOT be hungry after eating 1/2c greek yogurt and 2 tbsp of milled flax seed, I promise you! Eggs are a great option too... If you can stomach them. I, cannot. Also, just because its breakfast time, doesn't mean that you HAVE TO eat breakfast foods. Have some chicken if its what you have on hand. Or some fish/shrimp. There are no rules here, its up to you!
  • jellyedge
    Options
    Either nothing or just half of a banana pre-workout. A piece of fruit and protein powder mixed with skim milk post workout. Works for me!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    None of that is necessary and if it is a burden to you to eat every 3 hrs, just find something that better fits your preference. There is no metabolic advantage to increased meal frequency

I'm not so sure...that's not what all of my super-jacked friends at the gym say...
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    I read that chocolate milk is one of the best post workout refreshers!

That study has been widely circulated by the dairy industry, and only involved 11 subjects who were endurance athletes...might want to read some more.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    None of that is necessary and if it is a burden to you to eat every 3 hrs, just find something that better fits your preference. There is no metabolic advantage to increased meal frequency

I'm not so sure...that's not what all of my super-jacked friends at the gym say...

main-qimg-853291f28e6279971a6210a77521c6b7
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

main-qimg-853291f28e6279971a6210a77521c6b7

as a heart attack...lol
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I work out at 9pm each day...so I make sure I eat dinner 2 hours berfore going and post I usually have yogurt and fruit or bread with peanut butter.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

When I started with a trainer he said my body was in starvation mode and requested that I start eating every two hours to get my metabolism working right.
  • Acg67
    Options

as a heart attack...lol

Then they are sadly misinformed if they think increased meal frequency has a metabolic advantage. They're probably also slamming whey shakes spiked with dextrose as soon as they are done working out
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

as a heart attack...lol

Then they are sadly misinformed if they think increased meal frequency has a metabolic advantage. They're probably also slamming whey shakes spiked with dextrose as soon as they are done working out

I suppose I should have said "as a heart attack, bro"

*facepalm*
  • NettyB62
    Options
    You have about an hour of opportunity post-workout to really maximize your nutrition. This is the time when you want to reload all of the carbs you used during your workout, and add some protein if you're muscle building. A good ratio (agreed on by several organizations like the ISSA, ACE, and Beachbody) is 2 carbs for every protein.

Thanks SpaceMarkus I had not heard this before.
  • Acg67
    Options
    You have about an hour of opportunity post-workout to really maximize your nutrition. This is the time when you want to reload all of the carbs you used during your workout, and add some protein if you're muscle building. A good ratio (agreed on by several organizations like the ISSA, ACE, and Beachbody) is 2 carbs for every protein.

Thanks SpaceMarkus I had not heard this before.

Too bad it's bro science and he is mis informed
  • NettyB62
    Options
    What I found works for me (and this took years of trial and error) is absolutely NO FATS before working out. (this includes peanut butter, butter, nuts, cheese, milk, etc.) I found that this really slows my workout and I run out of steam. What has benefited me during my workouts is to eat carbohydrates and protein and some fructose before working out. For instance, before working out I will eat maybe a ham sandwich consisting of 2 slices rye bread, fat free low sodium ham (or turkey, chicken, etc), and baby spinach. I will then eat an apple as well. I find that if I eat this way, suddenly during the middle of my exercize I will have a burst of energy and I can workout for much longer. The reverse is true when I eat say an apple with PB or celery with cream cheese, or even the one day I ate a roast beef sandwich (a very fatty cold cut)- I was very sluggish. It was like a light went off when I figured out the difference my choice in pre-workout foods could make. I think what you eat before the work out is more important than what you eat after, since you are obviously relying on what you eat before the workout to get you through the actual work out itself.

This is very very interesting...thanks so much!
  • NettyB62
    Options
    Either nothing or just half of a banana pre-workout. A piece of fruit and protein powder mixed with skim milk post workout. Works for me!

If I eat nothing..I will surely pass out..LOL
    right now I am going to the gym at 9, but after I get a handle on my workout..it will be 7 a.m.
  • NettyB62
    Options
    You guys have really come through for me! Thanks ever so much! I visited with my trainer before leaving today..she looked over the food diary I did on this site (printed off). Gave me good sensible advice.
    I did get dizzy today a few times.

I bought some lean turkey, a can of almonds, eggs to boil, and whey protein shake mix. I think tomorrow I am going to have a shake before working out.
  • NettyB62
    Options
    Before the gym, it really depends what my schedule looks like, but shakes usually sit better if I'm in a time crunch.

After the gym, I'm the guy that EATS ALL THE THINGS! (Which usually include a giant helping of eggs, mixed with whatever I'm feeling like)

I am going to try the shake route. And I am glad to know it is normal for me to get so hungry after my work out..thanks!
  • NettyB62
    Options
    Gotta get that protein in there!!!

I do a 46 gram protein shake before and after each workout every day. It really helps repair your muscles after you've been ripping them to shreds!!

That is almost exactly what my trainer said!
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Glad I could help and good luck!!