I would like ADVICE on ATKINS??? :) ***GOOD?**NAY?***

Options
Hi everyone,

So, I've heard a lot about Atkins but have always said "no way". Mostly because I heard that 'Phase 1' is NO carbs whatsoever. Not gonna lie, this wouldn't be easy for me in the least. LOL

Recently, I keep hearing really great things about Atkins on MFP. The most common thing I hear in that it jump starts weight loss. Even if just Phase 1 is completed.

I would really like some advice about Atkins. Anyone done Atkins? Success stories? People who don't like Atkins?

I think I need something very different than I've been doing for the last eight months. I have about 23lbs to lose.

I signed up on the Atkins website for now and they are actually sending out a free kit at no charge. That's pretty awesome.

Should I be purchasing the Atkins book? How do I get started? Do I just wait for my kit to arrive and then start?

Thanks so much! Hopefully I can get all the answers I need and make a decision. :D I really appreciate any advice!!!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* Just wanted to add that from what I read on Atkins site, it isn't a no-carb/low carb approach anymore. They want you eating good carbs.

Replies

• jpalimpsest
    Options
    You're probably going to get a lot of hate-speech against all carb-related diets. Personally, I'm not a fan of Atkins. Instead I push South Beach. It recommends limiting simple carbs but encourages complex carbs (the ones your body breaks down more slowly), thus avoiding insulin spikes and the resulting blood-sugar drops.

I previously lost 70 lbs on South Beach, enjoying whole grain rices and pastas.
  • trea16
    trea16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    everyone that I know that has been on it has lost the weight and gained it back.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think that some people can do well on low carb approaches, and for people with diabetes or other insulin related medical conditions, a low carb approach is pretty much desirable.

If you are capable of using a calorie-counting approach without eliminating or severely limiting an entire macronutrient, then you're likely better off not restricting carbs since it's not going to provide you any metabolic advantage.

The jump-start that you'll get from low carbing will be water-weight reduction.
  • Hyperspace
    Options
    I've never done pure Atkins because I could not go no-carb without keeling over from low blood sugar.

What does work well for me, however, is strictly limiting carbs in the morning. Usually my breakfast is carb-free or nearly so. (eggs, or a protein shake, or something like that). I try to avoid carbs until lunch but usually I end up having some fruit or the like later in the morning, if and when I start to get hungry.

I find that this (no carbs for breakfast) cuts my appetite for the rest of the day. I try to limit carbs the rest of the day but I do eat them.

I personally think Atkins is OK as a jump start but eventually you'll have to transition into a more normal diet. It can still be low-ish carb, but more normal.
  • spinal77
    spinal77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70lbs over the last year and a half on first Atkins (20 lbs, I gave up on it after some personal life issues and it stopped working), and then 50 more on South Beach, which is a much, much better and more flexible plan.

Once you break the carb addiction in the first two weeks and put yourself in a different mindframe its a lot easier. I was consistently losing 2lbs a week and my doctor's tests were insanely awesome compared to what they were before, despite the fact that I was eating red meat, butter, and oil and not denying myself things that tasted good.

Because of some other health issues (Celiac Disease) its too much for me to try to get back on South Beach, so I'm watching calories.

So in summary, try South Beach, not Atkins, but follow the instructions religiously, and it'll work.
  • jpalimpsest
    Options
    I regained some of the 70 lbs, but I did maintain it for over a year.

I started regaining the weight when I began dating an Italian man who cooked. He frowned on whole grain and/or brown rice pastas, and, like so many, he poo-pooed on any diet that paid attention to insulin/blood sugar effects on weight gain. It is hard to say no to an Italian man plying you with authentic and delicious Italian meals. I let him woo me.

I am not dating him anymore. Now, I make his same recipes using brown rice pasta. I enjoy them just as much as when he made them.
  • jpalimpsest
    Options
    I should add that I'm not diabetic and my blood-sugar labs have always been normal.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I lost 135 pounds on Atkins in 2001 (excellent blood work results, too!) and kept it off until I got pregnant in 2006 and my OBGYN told me I had to eat carbs for the baby. Sigh. Enter 80 extra pounds, despite following a nutritionists program. I am now doing low carb again, having had problems with traditional diets and calorie counting. I was diagnosed two years ago with PCOS and Insulin resistance, which explained my infertility and inability to lose weight. Started low carbing, got pregnant again, had the baby, and now I am back to low carb for good. It's a lifestyle, for me it's the only one that works, and I'm embracing the reality of how *I* need to eat.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70lbs over the last year and a half on first Atkins (20 lbs, I gave up on it after some personal life issues and it stopped working), and then 50 more on South Beach, which is a much, much better and more flexible plan.

Once you break the carb addiction in the first two weeks and put yourself in a different mindframe its a lot easier. I was consistently losing 2lbs a week and my doctor's tests were insanely awesome compared to what they were before, despite the fact that I was eating red meat, butter, and oil and not denying myself things that tasted good.

Because of some other health issues (Celiac Disease) its too much for me to try to get back on South Beach, so I'm watching calories.

Thanks so much for this! :)

So in summary, try South Beach, not Atkins, but follow the instructions religiously, and it'll work.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've tried Atkins - I did it for about three months two years ago. Personally it wasn't for me, but it has worked for other people. I lost about 8 pounds, but I was miserable without any energy and I always felt sick. I followed the program to a T, and my body just wasn't having it hahaha. I also gained the 8 pounds back before I found MFP. My body definitely does better when I limit my carbs, but not nearly to the extent of Atkins. Now I just try to stay under the limit MFP sets.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Atkins does work. Going super low carb not for everyone, for sure. For me and many others it is FINE, you do not keel over from low blood sugar, if anything your blood sugar is far more stable. BUT, super low carb can be tough to face mentally.

I think south beach is fine. Do which ever one you can deal with the best mentally and physically.
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Everybody is different. I have tried most diets, and Atkins is the only one that works for me. I actually put ON weight doing strict Pritikin, way back when. I got to over 300, but in the last three years have lost over 110 pounds. I still have a way to go, but I had to come to terms with the fact that carbs are something I can not handle. Like diabetics can't do sugar. Does not mean I don't do carbs, but I pay for it!
    Mainly I have meat (lots of chicken and fish) and cheese and lots of allowable vegetables. My biggest issue was what to have for breakfast if I can't have cereal - but once I found the Atkins brand breakfast bar, I'm good.
    And the best part is, after the first couple of days, you don't get physically hungry (emotionally, though, that can be a whole 'nother kettle of fish!)
    No, wait, the best part is, you can eat until you are full (you will find you can't eat as much) and still lose weight fairly quickly!
    Get the book and have a read - after the initial phase, it doesn't have to be real strict - depends on your body and how fast you want to lose weight.
    Good luck!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If you have ANY health issues, I would suggest consulting your doctor before you try Atkins. I am diabetic and when I asked my doctor about going on Atkins, he said absolutely not. He told me the best and most healthy eating plan he could recommend was Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet. Not the entire program, Phase 2 only.

Of course, that was my doctors recommendation to me, so I'm not sure whether that would apply to your situation. Our neighbors are doing Atkins and are having a lot of success with it, though they haven't been able to maintain the success long term. They'll stick to it religiously for awhile, but if they start to slip and eat too many carbs, the pounds come back. Not sure why that is exactly, just that it's how it worked for them.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck and much success!

Amber
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I've tried it a couple times. Always lost a lot of weight, but was never able to maintain and ended up regaining. It's too restrictive. I find South Beach to be a lot more practical.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I was on Atkins a few years ago. I lost weight, but I eventually gained that weight and more back because it just wasn't something I could stick to.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think that some people can do well on low carb approaches, and for people with diabetes or other insulin related medical conditions, a low carb approach is pretty much desirable.

If you are capable of using a calorie-counting approach without eliminating or severely limiting an entire macronutrient, then you're likely better off not restricting carbs since it's not going to provide you any metabolic advantage.

^
    This is great advice.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    No.
  • jagpie42
    jagpie42 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    NAY! I have tried it. I lost many, many pounds. I also am here trying to lose that weight once again. I really think anything that is restrictive to something essential that your body needs is not a good thing even for a short period of time. Carbs are necessary. I agree with the South Beach philosophy--sugar is not. Find something more balanced and do not go for the quick, fast approach even for a short period of time.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

^
    This is great advice.

+2
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was diabetic. Type 2. I went extremely low carb and stablized my blood sugar. People who say they have blood sugar drop on Atkins must be doing something wrong because it doesn't affect blood sugar levels. They should be VERY stable.

I am now off all medicines for diabetes and high blood pressure. My total cholesterol is now 155.
    My diet is 60%fat, 30% protein, 10% carb.

I exercise like mad, and am training for a triathlon. I do 45 mins on a ski machine 6 days a week, and some other activity on the 7th. This weekend was a 5.5 mile hike.

It is the PERFECT diet for ME. I am not saying it is for everyone. I eat tons of veggies, and plenty of foods I like. I limit myself to 1500 calories a day too. My body runs like a top on this plan. But everyone has an opinion. It is why I don't post often on these threads. People always say things like I am crazy or whatever. My doctor and I are extremely happy with my health, test results, and progress.