Helpful hints?

Hi all. I just joined this program today. I'm a 48 year old - 5'3 and weigh 155. The most I've ever weighed. My weigh is all around my stomach. So much so that I look 6 months pregnant.

So, I went to JC Penney this morning and was talking to a women there who had lost 44 pounds on this program. She looked fantastic. She inspired me so much that I came home and joined the program too.

Other than calculating what you eat each day, what exercise program would you recommend for a fat 48 year old?

Sylvia

Replies

• sylviap
    sylviap Posts: 6
    Hi all. I just joined this program today. I'm a 48 year old - 5'3 and weigh 155. The most I've ever weighed. My weigh is all around my stomach. So much so that I look 6 months pregnant.

So, I went to JC Penney this morning and was talking to a women there who had lost 44 pounds on this program. She looked fantastic. She inspired me so much that I came home and joined the program too.

Other than calculating what you eat each day, what exercise program would you recommend for a fat 48 year old?

Sylvia
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    I'm a fat 46 year old ( soon to be 47) I go to the gym 5 - 6 times a week and do cardio and weight training. I do length swimming twice a week. We have two dogs that need walking. We have a Wii Fit that I use and I have signed up for a belly dancing class.

Age is not a factor in getting your body moving. You are a lot lighter than me so you shouldn't have too much problem getting it going.

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I just know you will love this site if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::smile: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sylviap
    Thank you for responding to my note.

How do you know how many caleries you burn when exercising? For example, if I do jumping jacks for 5 minutes, how do I know how many caleries I've burned?

Sylvia
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Here's a great thread. . .with lots of advice from us "oldsters" (or whatever the opposite of a newbie is. . .)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/41685-how-it-s-done-tips-from-me-to-you
  • cynn
    cynn Posts: 20
    welcome I am soo lost on here too I just joinned as well
    I too hear great stories about this site soo very excited to join just not sure where to go for the information or to get started as well !
    I hope we both get just as great results as we heard together !!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Thank you for responding to my note.

How do you know how many caleries you burn when exercising? For example, if I do jumping jacks for 5 minutes, how do I know how many caleries I've burned?

Sylvia

When you put your exercise in under "Exercise" it calculates the calories you have used.
  • jaydanna
    jaydanna Posts: 17
    Hi there. Have you ever tried spinning? I highly recommend it. You can work at ur own pace and add as much or little resistance as you like. The 1st few classes are a killer but before you know it your keeping up with the instructor. I go with my mum who is 50 this year and is trying to lose weight. We also love it because although its intense the class is only 30mins long so gives us the rest of the day for much needed retail therapy!!
    :happy:
  • sylviap
    “Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid...for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.”
  • sylviap
    I have taken a couple of spin classes and they were an hour long. It was a lot of work but worth it. I did enjoy it. I may take a step class also.

I'm wondering if you can help me. I eat a garden salad every day from our salad bar at work. The salad is this same every day, green lettuce, cucumber, green pepper, 2 tablespoons of tuna, a tablespoon of sunflower seeds, and a small amount of thousand island dressing.

How would I create this meal in my food log to track the caleries?
  • sylviap
    What foods should I eat to increase my proteins each day? And what foods have good carbs and good fats?