Gastric Bypass Vs. Lap-band

Options
I'm scheduled to meet with my surgeon on Wednesday to discuss my options. I've read that weight loss is very rapid with bypass, but I'm leaning towards the lap-band because it sems less invasive. Anyone on here care to share their thought, tips, expiriences?

Replies

• anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    If i could go back i would not have any surgery (had gastric bypass) but if I had the choice i would do Lap Band, recovery is better and it is less invasive. Feel free to email me is any othe rquestions
  • brilynn79
    brilynn79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to go to Obesity Help and do some research on both forums. As far as the band being less invasive, please research all the complications. They have quit using it in some countries and because of high complication rates and failure rate many surgeons in the US no longer place it.

Good luch researching:smile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My neighbor is having a lot of trouble with her band. Seeing that, it's not something I would consider.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I would totally recommend Obesityhelp.com I personally had the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (didnt lose as fast as bypass but I guess slightly faster than band) and I could not be happier
  • samantha64118
    Options
    My friend took money she was going to use for weight loss surgery & instead used it for a personal trainer...that's what I recommend. Even with a lap band or gastric surgery you're going to have to eat healthier & exercise, so why not just do that from the start? It's going to take longer for the weight to come off but I honestly believe it's the better long term solution. Good luck with everything!
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric band about 5 years ago and it was the worst thing i ever did...

I don't know what went wrong with it but in the end even though i had it completely drained so in theory it is there doing nothing i cannot eat things like bread or pasta or plain meat without suffering from it getting stuck in the pouch causing significant pain and discomfort.

I'm preying that should i lose some weight the hard way that i can have it removed but its a catch 22 now ... eating 'filling' food i struggle with so i end up eating stuff that tends to not fill up thus feeling hungry.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Neither!!! You can lose weight without having your body altered in such an extreme fashion. Yes, my cousin's husband had it done and he struggles to eat what little food he's allowed to eat and he still cheats and he's still heavy. I also had a friend who did the lap band a long time ago, and she's still heavy too.

You have to get right (whatever's wrong) in your head and in your heart, then use your brain along with this site and take the weight off. It's working for plenty of us on here already - it will work for you. Sorry if I sound harsh, but those options really tick me off. But if you don't listen to advice and have your body altered - good luck to you, you will need it.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled to meet with my surgeon on Wednesday to discuss my options. I've read that weight loss is very rapid with bypass, but I'm leaning towards the lap-band because it sems less invasive. Anyone on here care to share their thought, tips, expiriences?

I had the full roux-en-y in July of 2003 and would never go back. The key is you MUST follow the rules and STOP eating when you get the "full" feeling. I did notice that once I passed the three year mark, I stopped losing "automatically" and really had to think about what I put in my mouth. This is because by that time, my body was used to the small pouch and I could eat whatever I wanted. Corn Syrup really kills me, but I can have cookies, candy, pop, etc if I want it. That is what got me into trouble! :) By 2006 I was down to just over 200 from 450, but I have yo-yo'd between 200 and 290 for the past 5 years. I have to focus and pay attention to my food and exercise just like a normal person does.
  • nurseygirl66
    nurseygirl66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lap band isn't really less invasive. You will forever have a foreign body inside of yours which will eventually have to be revised, replaced, or removed during your lifetime. They need constant adjustment and attention, and many lap band patients eventually turn to a more permanent answer for weight loss. So, if you want to commit to a lifestyle change that is permanent and final, you'll want to look at the sleeve or bypass. The gastric sleeve procedure is laproscopic, leaves a smaller version of your own stomach intact, but it's much smaller (80% smaller). This surgery has less complications, and does not involve removing or re-routing your intestinal system.......thus you have less intolerance to foods and other malabsorption issues. If you have a large amount of weight to lose, 100 pounds or more, you'll do better in the long run with one the sleeve or bypass. Good luck in your decision!!:bigsmile:
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes, I keep hearing the full bypass route is the way to go.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    Options
    Also, I'm asking for people who have had either surgery, not for the opinions of those who are agaisnt it. If all you're going to do is tell me not to get the surgery, then kindly keep your comments to yourself. Thanks.
  • linguist98
    Options
    I had my RNY on 11/16/11...recovery wasnt easy but...hands down the best decision ive made in years....down 55 lbs today also, off of all 14 meds i was taking and blood sugars are in good shape (was taking 1000 units of insulin per day = metformin and 11 other meds for assoc ailments) leasring to eeat slower has been hard (still is) but its like anything itll take time...find things you like... i found the atkins shakes and oh yeah shakes are great for getting your protein in during the liquid and soft food stages...im just beginning to work in fish and some soft meats now...doesnt take much to fill up but the "clean your plate" condioning is hard to break too...at restaurants, my wife and i split a meal but ive started asking for a togo box with the serving of my meal so i can get the extra portion of it off my plate and asking for a bread plate to eat from so the plate looks full as well. seems to work pretty good so far.

I know for me the lap- and sleeve wouldnt work because i need a no going back clause so i was forced no matter what to get on with it.

best of luck to you and go for it!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm asking for people who have had either surgery, not for the opinions of those who are agaisnt it. If all you're going to do is tell me not to get the surgery, then kindly keep your comments to yourself. Thanks.

^^ Agreed! That irks the hell out of me!
  • nurseygirl66
    nurseygirl66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ok then......I had the sleeve done August 15th. As of this am, I've lost 85pounds. Off diabetes and bp meds, running 3miles 4x a week, lost 4 pant sizes. My stomach holds 4-6 oz at a time, so I have 5-6 meals/snacks a day pretty much 3hours apart. I don't have as many restrictions as the bypass in terms of what they call dumping (diarrhea/abd pain/ vomiting) due to sugar which is a reason I did this surgery. My stomach may strech to a cup or so of food over time, so I'll always have a portion restriction....but I'll never be able to eat like I used to. I hope to be at goal (100 pounds) in about 8 weeks.....that being said, the journey then starts as maintanance is what it's all about. It's smart to find out what people have to say. I recommend looking at renewed reflections.com for some REAL insight.
  • brilynn79
    brilynn79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I reccomended Obesity help above. I had the sleeve September 2010. It was the best surgery choice for me. I did not want to deal with the complications of the band and did not want to deal with the malabsorption of bypass especially since after a few years your body compensates and stops malabsorbing calories, but malabsorbs nutrients for life..

I did get off to a rough start. I had trouble following all the reccomendations because all of the weird things that can happen did happen to me. I developed acid reflux, lactose intolerance, my body did not tolerate ketosis, my palate could not stomach the taste of artificial sweeteners, especially things like crystal light, I did not tolerate the supplements, plain water hurt my stomach for months.

Even with all these challenges and slow weightloss, I would do it all over again. My only concern is that the sleeve is not reversible, but I am pretty sure I do not want any portion of my stomach back!
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    ok i work and am very close with 2 people who have had a lap band done .and one who has had the gps
    ok for lap band one of the women works out and eats healthy sense hers and she has lost 100+ weight and if looking very well . the other lady she eats like **** on a day to day basis eating krystals bacon everymorning , eating zaxbys or mcdonalds for lunch . that being said she is obese only a couple months after surgery and her stomach now that she got it looks odd like it is misformed , may sound mean but it is true and she is not afraid to admit it is hard to stay on track ... now the gastric by pass surgery lady , she is also staying on track she eats well and does exercise , every once in a while she eats bad but she still stays on track and she hasnt put on any weight since and like the other woman said it is worst as far as recovery but it is all you , you have to have will power with both options and as well it is a surgery and we all know there are good surgery stories and horrid ones so ... sounding like a broken record but it is true make sure you do every single research that there is possible
  • lhaas24
    lhaas24 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I work at a weight loss surgery office. If you have a large amount of weight to lose, you will want to look into the sleeve or bypass. They are much more effective. So many of our patients have "buyers remorse" after having the band placed due to slow or not much weight loss. Previous posters are correct, the band requires much more maintenance than the other two procedures.

I would however suggest that you really look at the root of your weight problem. As someone else stated, you still need to change your mind set toward food and adopt great discipline for any of these procedures to work. Good Luck!
  • hope4gl
    hope4gl Posts: 15
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey with the intention of having gastric bypass. I went through all the nutritionist appts my insurance required, but as I lost more and more weight decided I could do this without surgery. I am at 84# lost in 7 months and am happy with this. But that was my choice. My cousin had the gastric bypass and has wonderful results. She is down 140# in just over a year with no complications and she has done everything by the book, she says she thinks that is why she has had such great success. Good luck with what every you decide.
  • jenniferboyd81
    jenniferboyd81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a close friend who did the sleeve and has lost 160 and looks great! Its only been 6 months and he has completely changed his life
  • LadyQueefsalot
    Options
    I work at a weight loss surgery office. If you have a large amount of weight to lose, you will want to look into the sleeve or bypass. They are much more effective. So many of our patients have "buyers remorse" after having the band placed due to slow or not much weight loss. Previous posters are correct, the band requires much more maintenance than the other two procedures.

I would however suggest that you really look at the root of your weight problem. As someone else stated, you still need to change your mind set toward food and adopt great discipline for any of these procedures to work. Good Luck!

As it stands now, I am doing my best to lose the weight on my own, and it is happening, but very, very slowly, as my biggest issue is portion control. I attend 90-minute hot yoga classes 4-5 times a week, have eliminated all fried foods, as well as pork, red meat and chicken from my diet (save for sunday dinner, I'll eat a piece of meat), haven't touched a soda in years, only drink alcohol on either Friday or Saturday night, and feel that I have a generally positive outlook on life. I am also thirty years old and have literally been put on diets since I was 3 years old. What three year old emotionally eats? I have thought about doing surgery for a long time now, and am well aware that food can be an addiction, and intend on speaking with a counselor during and after the process. This is my choice, for my health, and just want to make sure that I am making the right desicion when it comes to what kind of surgery to get. I'll look into the gastric sleeve being as my insurance company does not fully cover bypass. Thanks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!