Treadmill or elliptical !?

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    i would deff get an elliptical because they are easier on the knees, and feet and do burn a lot of calories. you can crank up the resistance or crossramp and challenge yourself constantly. what i like about the treadmill is the incline because you can walk slowly if you choose but get a great burn walking uphill, either way you will not be saddened by either choice
  • baybeecakes08
    Options

The one I am looking at is 2299.00 but on sale for 749 right now ! Should be okay ?
    [/quote]

No kidding? If I may ask, which one is it?
    [/quote]

Nordic track free spirit 5.5
  • motomom327
    Options
    It is totally personal preference, and if your not sure, alternate using both a local gym for a month. You can burn the same amount of calories on either one. I currently own a SOLE treadmill. Paid about $2500 through sole a few years ago..I think they have come down in price and you can now purchase in stores. It probably got 150-200 miles on it a month and I've had no issues with it. I HAD a PreCor EFX machine elliptical. PreCor is excellent. Paid $3,800 for it...didn't use it as much as my treadmill, but I'm a runner, when we moved I ended up selling on craigslist for $1,500 it was still in LIKE NEW condition. Ended up having hip surgery in August and can only use an elliptical or spin bike..bought the spin bike, but joined the gym for the elliptical. I would definetely look on craigslist or play it again sports for elliptical..if your planning on putting alot of miles on a treadmill I'd go new.
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    l LOVE my elliptical! Low impact, I don't feel like I'm going to misstep and fall off.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Elliptical...I tend to see way higher burns on the elliptical than the treadmill plus love that it's low impact.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It is entirely a personal preference decision. I love the elliptical, it just feels so much better to me and I've never really enjoyed running. My boyfriend is an entirely different story, he likes to run, therefore prefers the treadmill, in fact won't even get on an elliptical. It just comes down to whatever feels better to you.
  • jdjefferson
    Options

The one I am looking at is 2299.00 but on sale for 749 right now ! Should be okay ?

No kidding? If I may ask, which one is it?
    [/quote]

Nordic track free spirit 5.5
    [/quote]

I don't think this is originally 2299. Found on the NordicTrac website for 599USD. It's not an ideal machine. Only 2.5HP motor and a rather short deck. Max speed is 10mph (that's fast, but an indication of the motor quality). But it does have a great warranty (lifetime deck and 25-yr motor). You can do better, but not the worst machine.
    Precor is tops, but pricey.
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    elliptical does burn double and I would choose the elliptical. I have both.
  • jdjefferson
    Options
    I just have to post one more time on the topic of running being bad for your joints (and then I promise I will shut up!)

"'Angela Smith, assistant professor of orthopaedics at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, was quoted: 'There is no evidence to prove that running is bad for joints. But, if you already have an injury, running may aggravate it. S.K.S. Marya, director, orthopaedics, Institute of Joint Surgery, Max Health Care, New Delhi, says: 'It is unclear if long-distance running causes the hip and knee joints to deteriorate. The current evidence suggests that a moderate level of running does not increase the risk of osteoarthritis of hip and knee for healthy people. In fact, there is evidence to suggest that it might even have some protective effect on the joints. Increased muscle strength and constant motion preserves the biomechanics of the joint.'

I promise, that's the last time I'll mention it! (unless asked to repeat it)
  • michelby09
    michelby09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Elliptical!!! I feel so much more accomplished on an elliptical bc I can go further...and it's not as boring because you're doing something with your arms as well :)
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Neither. Run outside.

Of course if you have children to look after and you can't go outside for extended periods of time then treadmill.

I used to do elliptical all the time and it was great for low-impact exercise but I really avoided the treadmill because I was scared of running. Now running is all I do for aerobic exercise. You just feel like you've worked harder after a jog.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I would get an elliptical. Although I am physically capable of running I choose not to because I do not like the way it hurts my chest and I do not like the way my stomach bounces while running. So, I rock the elliptical machine!
  • Ms_Angela
    Options
    An elliptical does burn more calories because it engages more muscle groups :)
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical. I use one at my gym all the time and I find I burn more calories (it may be different for everyone). I also have issues with my knees and ankles so for me, the elliptical is better as it puts less strain on those regions. The one I use has a cross train aerobics function which I LOVE. It has do a series of different things, like pace yourself at 5 mph for a bit, then will switch to 2-3 mph. Then it has you focusing on pulling the handles with your strides, then pushing them. It also has you go in reverse for a bit too. I like that because it kind of breaks up the exercise for and is less boring.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    elliptical does burn double and I would choose the elliptical. I have both.

Yeah I wouldn't trust the numbers that come off any machine. Those numbers are motivated by sales.
  • CarlyRobbinsGilbert
    Options
    It's true that the treadmill burns less than the elliptical, but probably not half. They work some different muscles so I like to do 5 or 10 minute circuits between the two (I tend to get bored) -- ten on the treadmill, ten on the elliptical, and then I do that for at least 30 minutes total. Using the incline will help pump up your treadmill calorie burn.
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    "Elliptical trainers suck! It's not that I'm just against the use of elliptical trainers, I disagree with the need to use any piece of cardiovascular exercise equipment. The elliptical trainer just happens to be the worst of the bunch because of its non-functionality to any real world purpose. The key to being fit, lean, and healthy is how your body behaves and responds to real world activity. It's embarrassing when you have to walk three flights of stairs with a friend and you have to make them wait so you can catch your breath. Training on the elliptical won't make you better at anything. At least riding the bike will improve your biking. The treadmill will improve your running. The stairclimber will improve your vertical climbing and the rower can make you better at rowing. Who cares if you can elliptical well? No such competition for that exists." - Paul Plakas (X-Weighted)

Well Said!
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i can work out longer on the elliptical but i burn more on the treadmill
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    Neither. Run outside.

Of course if you have children to look after and you can't go outside for extended periods of time then treadmill.

I used to do elliptical all the time and it was great for low-impact exercise but I really avoided the treadmill because I was scared of running. Now running is all I do for aerobic exercise. You just feel like you've worked harder after a jog.

I have 2 little ones so running outside isn't really good for me .. Well it's good for me but not for my situation
  • WowieGarcia
    Options
    Lastly, there is a myth that running is hard on your joints and muscles. There are many peer-reviewed medical studies that indicate running can actually be beneficial to joint health and fighting osteoarthritis. Don't let that myth steer you away from running.
    Best of luck!

So true! I used to have this thing with my left knee, wherein it would suddenly buckle for no reason. I was always afraid this will happen as I'm coming down a flight of stairs and I would fall and break my neck. Since I've started running, that hasn't happened again.