Will too much protein make me gain weight?

Options
I'm always under my calorie goal by at least 400 calories but I usually go over my protein goal by like 5 or six. I guess it's because I eat A LOT of chicken. By a lot I mean I have it for every meal because it's a lot less fattening than most meats (besides fish). Anyways, if too much protein can make me gain weight I need to know how to lower my protein intake,

Replies

• tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure about the gaining weight part.... as long as you are within your calorie goal I don't see why you would gain. However, it's important to make sure you're getting enough healthy fats in too. A spoon of natural peanut butter will take care of the fat and 200 calories!
  • samilynn005
    samilynn005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good! I love peanut butter! It's like a desert to me :) I'll probably start eating like a tsp a couple days a week after a good workout.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Protein is great for you! It helps you keep and build lean muscle. Mfp estimates your protein needs LOW, so if you are higher, that's much better. Most women don't get enough protein. I eat about 130 grams a day. And chicken is a great source!
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I'm actually concerned i'm eating too much too!!!
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    Protien is GREAT...but you need to be closer to your cal goal. missing it by 400 calories a day will cause you to stall and not loose any weight :/
  • CAHRD
    CAHRD Posts: 7
    Options
    Like others have said, as long as you're under your calorie requirements for the day, it won't make you gain weight. However, an imbalance of nutrients (by too much) can be bad for certain organs (with protein a main concern is kidneys and liver). Everything in moderation. Balance is key.
  • 13nicholas
    13nicholas Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A very recent article suggests that, at the end of the day, FAT gain is the same. However, you will gain more lean muscle mass with a higher protein diet. Keep it up and you will like the way you look.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    A very recent article suggests that, at the end of the day, FAT gain is the same. However, you will gain more lean muscle mass with a higher protein diet. Keep it up and you will like the way you look.

I bloody hope so!
  • samilynn005
    samilynn005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I feel like if I eat more calories I will gain more weight! I always feel sooo bad about myself if I eat a lot, even if it's healthy food!
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    As long as you are at or under your maintenance net calories, you won't gain weight. Protein is also said to be very good for keeping you fuller for longer, actually helping people eat a lot less throughout the day.

Try to mix up where you get your protein from though, it's good for your body to eat a variety of foods, helps the metabolism!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The protein recommendation on MFP is quite low. You should be meeting or exceeding it every day.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i read some of your food diary and it doesnt look like you have enough of anything ..hope its just because you arent documenting everything. that protein is kind of low for you so no you are not taking too much in if those numbers are accurate. if you do any exercises that pertain to weight lifting then you will want to increase your protein.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    i read some of your food diary and it doesnt look like you have enough of anything ..hope its just because you arent documenting everything. that protein is kind of low for you so no you are not taking too much in if those numbers are accurate. if you do any exercises that pertain to weight lifting then you will want to increase your protein.

She is right. Your diary is incredibly low on everything. You need more calories, carbs, protein, fats, water, etc, especially if you are active.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need more calories. Don't be afraid to eat some fat!
  • chicklidell
    Options
    Too many calories make you gain weight, regardless of where they come from.
  • karmacfwill
    karmacfwill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I joined this to track food on my phone, and I own a gym where we are giving away a trip to Mexico but one of the requirements is food-logging. I have been a trainer for almost 16 years and there is way more too it then calories in/calories out. I know that you all mean well but the idea that "if you just stay below your cal..." is very inaccurate. It has way more to do with what is going on hormonally. Calories are to a large extent irrelevant.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    wow, please tell me that you have missed logging some of the stuff that you have been eating? Some of your days are around 300 calories?! I eat more than that for breakfast.

You need to eat more.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Too much protein will make you gain weight. So will too many carbs or fat. This is ONLY because having too much could make you eat more than your body needs. That's what makes you fat.

You are not eating too many calories. You are eating too little. The point of having a calorie goal is to reach it, not be under it by that much.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post (maryjay) and I am going to be very honest and blunt. You don't eat enough of anything, and your diet is extremely low in calories and nutrients.

Most of the time your diaries show between 300 and 700 calories a day. That is not healthy at all, specially for an 18 years old still developing, I suggest that you increase your calories to 1200 per day, at least, or you may suffer nutritional problems later on, such as missing monthly periods. If you exercise and burn between 200 and 300 calories a day, you will still be in a caloric deficiency.

I don't mean to offend you but you posted a question, and this is my answer.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If I may get all mother-hennish here..
    At 17, with a new child, please go ahead and eat your calories. A little overage in the protein department isn't going to hurt you, but you do need to replenish the vitamins and the minerals your term of pregnancy has taken.
    Please be careful. And, though I seldom say this, you should maybe take a good multivitamin for a while, like a maternity vitamin.
    Good luck to you and your new baby. It's an awfully exciting time!