Will too much protein make me gain weight?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    I'm always under my calorie goal by at least 400 calories but I usually go over my protein goal by like 5 or six. I guess it's because I eat A LOT of chicken. By a lot I mean I have it for every meal because it's a lot less fattening than most meats (besides fish). Anyways, if too much protein can make me gain weight I need to know how to lower my protein intake,
    If you are in deficit then no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have continued to breast feed, I know it's soooo much better for the baby but I completely dried up for some reason. I had such a hard time starting her on formula, it broke my heart :(

Did you have this level of eating right after birth? That is if your diary is accurate?
    You comment you just aren't hungry much, which sounds like you may have been.

Well, that's what happens when you restrict your body, and the metabolism slows down to protect itself from what appears to be extreme calorie reduction.
  • samilynn005
    samilynn005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm always under my calorie goal by at least 400 calories but I usually go over my protein goal by like 5 or six. I guess it's because I eat A LOT of chicken. By a lot I mean I have it for every meal because it's a lot less fattening than most meats (besides fish). Anyways, if too much protein can make me gain weight I need to know how to lower my protein intake,
    If you are in deficit then no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Welll since you're certified I have a question for you :) What protein shake would you recommend for me? I want to lose weight so I know it should be low in carbs but I don't know what is good burning fat and gaining muscle
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Eat more... why are you 400 calories under your weight loss goal?? No, more protein won't make you gain weight. Too many calories of any kind will make you gain weight...

You need to EAT to lose weight, no matter what anyone tells you. You'll be surprised how much weight you'll lose (although, probably at a slower weight) once you give your body what it needs.
  • samilynn005
    Options
    I ate pretty well after I had her since it was right around Thanksgiving and there was food everywhere but I still dried up so I don't know what the problem was. Maybe stress.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I ate pretty well after I had her since it was right around Thanksgiving and there was food everywhere but I still dried up so I don't know what the problem was. Maybe stress.

Very sorry to hear that. Keep those special times with just mommy and baby anyway. I of course felt left out, but now's my time to bond and/or mess with him!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Good lord girl, you better not be breastfeeding if that's all you're eating because your darling baby will be malnourished.

This is not true. Her body will leach the necessary nutrients from her body and give it to the baby. Her health would (if she were breastfeeding, but has since stated she is not) be affected, but not the quality of the milk. The quantity of the milk could be affected though if severely malnourished.

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbmarapr04p44.html
    In recent years, research has confirmed that even if some nutrients are missing in a woman’s daily diet, she will still produce milk that will help her child grow. There is very little difference in the milk of healthy mothers and mothers who are severely malnourished. For example, if a mother’s diet is lacking in calories, her body makes up the deficit, drawing on the reserves laid down during pregnancy or before. Unless there is a physical reason for low milk production, a woman who breastfeeds on cue will be able to produce enough milk for her baby, regardless of what she eats.

Thanks for finding that, I didn't know.

Although, I think we can all agree here that the mother should not be malnourished for her own sake. :flowerforyou:

I definitely agree with that! I was not trying to detract at all from the "she needs to eat" camp. I just have a hard time letting misinformation go when it comes to breastfeeding. :flowerforyou:
  • shydaisi
    Options
    samilynn005: Does your food diary include everything you have eaten over the last week?
  • samilynn005
    Options
    Yes I record everything I eat but I'm not very good at recording all the water I drink because I drink so much. I drink about a gallon or more a day
  • shydaisi
    Options
    With taking in so few calories, it is between difficult and impossible to get all of the nutrients your body needs to function optimally. You should be eating the number that MFP is giving you. Your deficit is already built into that number, so undercutting that number by a few hundred calories each day could affect your health and how your body functions.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    no no no no! Protein has a higher thermogenic effect than carbs or fat. The more calories that come from protein the better. Your body uses more calories to digest protein therefore it's almost like consuming slightly less in cals than if it comes from fat or carbs. When I up my protein to 140 I always drop fat faster. :)
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Double post sorry!
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i read some of your food diary and it doesnt look like you have enough of anything ..hope its just because you arent documenting everything. that protein is kind of low for you so no you are not taking too much in if those numbers are accurate. if you do any exercises that pertain to weight lifting then you will want to increase your protein.

She is right. Your diary is incredibly low on everything. You need more calories, carbs, protein, fats, water, etc, especially if you are active.

Your food diary is scary- you're basically starving yourself- that's not what a diet should be. your body will respond poorly to this- eat more of a balanced diet! You need some grains, fruits, and fiber...
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i could live on muscle milk alone ........ mmmmmmmmmmmmm protein
  • samilynn005
    Options
    Your food diary is scary- you're basically starving yourself- that's not what a diet should be. your body will respond poorly to this- eat more of a balanced diet! You need some grains, fruits, and fiber...
    [/quote]

No,I'm definitely not starving myself. I eat when I'm hungry and I stop eating when I'm satisfied.
  • samilynn005
    Options
    i could live on muscle milk alone ........ mmmmmmmmmmmmm protein

I've been wanting to try muscle milk. Is it good for when you're dieting or no?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

No,I'm definitely not starving myself. I eat when I'm hungry and I stop eating when I'm satisfied.

There's a difference between you feeling full and your body not being adequately nourished. You are not receiving adequate energy and nutrition for your body to function optimally.

In reference to your Muscle Milk question, any nutrition-filled food can be good for you when losing weight. As long as you have a HEALTHY caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Eating all the way up to your calorie goal will give you a HEALTHY deficit, rather than the unhealthy one you are currently creating for yourself.
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel free to correct me but I'm trying to loose weight (more reduce my overall fat %) while building muscle, strength and endurance. In order to build muscle you need protein (and carbs), estimated at 1 gram per body weight which will help your muscles build and grow.

So back to the orignal question will proteint make someone gain weight? Depending on your excercise level, isn't the answer, yes? While 5-6 grams over isn't a lot of extra putting in 100's extra grams while following a strength program would.

There were many other good and valid points about protein posted in this thread that people should consider as well. Protein calories do have a different level (same level as carbs 9 I think) while fat is 15. Your body has reserves of calories in different forms fat, carb and protein but protein does get absorbed through eating and digestion better. Also valid points about eating too little calories, you will shock your metabolism and hurt yourself. Then again if anyone has researched warrior diets and eating 75% of your daily calories in 1 meal at night, you can get conflicting information.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If the additional protein puts you over your calorie count allotment, yes. If it doesn't, then no it won't
  • samilynn005
    Options

There's a difference between you feeling full and your body not being adequately nourished. You are not receiving adequate energy and nutrition for your body to function optimally.

In reference to your Muscle Milk question, any nutrition-filled food can be good for you when losing weight. As long as you have a HEALTHY caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Eating all the way up to your calorie goal will give you a HEALTHY deficit, rather than the unhealthy one you are currently creating for yourself.

I understand that I'm not eating enough calories but that does not at all mean that I am starving myself. If I was starving myself I would not be eating anything. I am eating three meals a day. Maybe I am not eating enough but I am still eating.