Saying 'I love you' for the first time

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I said it first to my fiancee. We had been seeing each other for about six months or so, and we had just recently had the discussion to officially call ourselves a couple. We were hanging out and I said, "I need to tell you something, and you don't have to reply or comment at all, no pressure." ... and then I got all scared and embarrassed and I whispered to him "I love you." he literally stopped breathing for a second, I thought he was going to freak out!! lol .. he said, "I knew you were going to say that ..." and got a little teary. We had a really nice time the rest of the evening, and I didn't really expect him to say anything back, but when he was leaving he said, "I've wanted to say it for a little while now. I'm nervous." and I told him he didn't have to say it if he didn't feel like it, but he did, and then it made ME stop breathing ... and it was right then that I knew we were totally meant for each other.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    ............."That's a big matzah ball!" -Seinfeld
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've only said it to one guy ever... my now ex-husband :)

And I said it first... When you know, you know.

Sadly - that's never happened again *LOL*
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I've said it to only person genuinely. He said it first, though. We were going to the tattoo/piercing parlor and wanted to do something different. So what do you when you've been dating for a good month? That's right, you get nip piercings together. It was so romantic how the piercer grabbed my girl and my guy looked lovingly upon the exchange. Well - later that night he was telling me how he got them pierced before with his ex-gf. So of course being a woman and owning the equipment I mention "so, is this some right of passage all the girls get to experience?" He told me that "you're not just some other girl - I love you" and yada yada so the story goes, together for 7+ years, married for over 3. Still laugh maniacally about how the "i love you's" came about :bigsmile:
  • KatrineJohansen
    KatrineJohansen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've said it to two people I've been romantically involved with - of course the ones that I was actually serious about. The first one was my first boyfriend, A. It was a weird and extreme relationship, I was 14 when he was 20, but we were together for a year even though my parents were downright against it, so we met in secret. That’s hard when you live two hundred miles apart, haha. But that’s a whole other story:
    We started out by just writing each other on IM, and I think that a month into our relationship, when we weren’t really considering us as a couple, he began just bursting out “Omg, I love you!” whenever I said something cute/silly/sweet/whatever – but it was never anything awkward or weird, and I didn’t feel like it was pushed onto me that I should say the same thing back, because it didn’t seem that serious. So when we finally got to the face-to-face declarations of love, it really wasn’t “a big thing” – he’d said it ten thousand times and I was head over heal in love (and 14, so I guess I wasn’t really taking my time to consider whether I TRULY meant the words coming out of my mouth when I said them the first time). Actually I don’t remember the first time I told him I love you very clearly, though.
    The second one was my current boyfriend, P. We’ve been together for two years and three months now.
    This was a much more normal relationship, thus everything was a lot easier, even though this guy also lives 150-or-so miles away. Our first “I love you”’s are imprinted in my memory. You may have to get a little background first: At the beginning of our relationship, I actually thought that it would be a three month fling and then he would pass on to the next one – I’d been friends with him for a long time, but he never seemed like the ‘going solid’ type of guy, so I did not expect me to become the exception. In the beginning I was constantly feeling self-concious, afraid that I would scare the good thing we had away if I became too cheesy with him, and telling him “I love you” was REALLY off the table for the six months of our relationship. Don’t get me wrong – as time passed we (mostly, he) became better at giving each other striking compliments and expressing love in actions rather than words. We worshipped each other, truly. It goes cheesier.
    We’d been together for almost exactly six months when we decided to have sex – I wasn’t a virgin, but very inexperienced, and it was his first time. We made it this super special, super romantic thing – and we failed horribly, never getting the penetration right because we (mostly me) were so nervous. But he was like “oh well, no big deal! We’ll just give it another try tomorrow!” and afterwards we lay together, spooning in my dark room, talking about nothing and everything at the same time. You know that feeling when you can feel someone smiling into your neck when you’re spooning? I felt that. And then my stomach just burst with joy, as I said: “...P?.. Would this be a horribly cheesy moment to tell you I love you?” I must have been mumbling horribly, because he had to ask me to repeat it – which I did, blushing, as I turned around to face him, and the GORGEOUS smile that met my lips. When we let go of the kiss again, he said: “No it’s not, silly. I’ve been meaning to tell you that I love you for ages, but I was just so afraid that YOU weren’t there yet. I do love you. More than anything”. And there was much rejoicing.

Haha, that was some ramble, but yeah..
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend saying it to anyone, ever. It always ends bad.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    can't answer this one...too hard and too personal.

Then why post anything?
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Actually I wouldn't even recommend thinking it either.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Actually I wouldn't even recommend thinking it either.

It's obvious you've been fried by someone recently. Take time off to heal yourself. Despite the bitterness, one can find it again but one must always be careful with whom they decide to give themselves to.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Uber personal but I enjoyed reading the other responses. So here goes.

Really quick into our relationship.. maybe 1 month.. I felt it. I was blown away from the start, but I really felt this strong love. Not lust, not sexual; but this I-would-take-a-bullet-for-you love. We connected on so many levels. He was my male counterpart, laughed at my jokes, totally gets me and my quirks.

I started it by saying, "I more than like you". I would get this funny look back like Hmm... This went on for about a week or so. Then one night when he asked how I felt, I said, "I have been telling you all along: I more than like you". He says, "I love you too". I cried. A good cry. It is still a running joke. I more than like you. Yeah yeah, I more than like you too.

Love is funny.
    :heart:
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    We said I love you before we were even dating!!!! But that is because he and I were best friends for months before I would date him. Then- about 2 weeks into actual dating (even though we knew each other and had pretty much been together for months, he sat me down and told me he was falling for me, I gave him a hug and said 'I love you too Eric' and then we lived happily ever after. Sort of!!! Haha we are still together and I still love him more than a year later!
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    I said it first.
    A bit over a month after we started dating. We were talking about my childhood over the phone (kinda rough), and she cried for me a little. She said it made her feel horrible to think she complains about her childhood after hearing about mine. I knew then she was the type of soul I wanted to have complete mine. I said, "You know, I love how sweet you are. You are so honest with your emotions, I love that about you. I...love you". The phone went silent, I freaked out. She said she couldn't reply with the same because she wanted to make sure she felt the same way. I agreed, we said good night and that was one of the worst nights (sleep-wise) I've ever had to experience.
    The next day we texted a bit, I was distant, she could tell. Finally she brought-up the topic and I told her I didn't wish to take back what I said because I meant it. I asked her to take her time, and that if she decided that wasn't what she felt for me, that I'd also like to know. A couple of days went by, then, one evening when we were making random small talk over the phone again, I made a joke. She said: "I love your sense of humor, I always wanted to find a tall, dark and handsome man that'd make me laugh and make me feel like the most beautiful girl in the world". "I love everything about you", she said, "I am in love with you".

That was about a bit over three years ago. She is now my fiance. She has been the only person I've said those three words to and knew, without a doubt, I meant them.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Girrrrrrrrrrrrrrl you are so young, and engaged??????????????

Haha, I assume you mean me :) Young for some, sure! I actually usually am in complete agreement with you. 21 (almost 22) does seem VERY young to be engaged. I really am an old soul though. I've known what I've wanted for a long time, months away from starting my career, and never been happier. I have never been more sure of something! But if it eases your mind we have plans of waiting a decent amount of time! Or wedding isn't until spring 2013. I will be 23, not much older I suppose ;)
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    Uber personal but I enjoyed reading the other responses. So here goes.

Really quick into our relationship.. maybe 1 month.. I felt it. I was blown away from the start, but I really felt this strong love. Not lust, not sexual; but this I-would-take-a-bullet-for-you love. We connected on so many levels. He was my male counterpart, laughed at my jokes, totally gets me and my quirks.

I started it by saying, "I more than like you". I would get this funny look back like Hmm... This went on for about a week or so. Then one night when he asked how I felt, I said, "I have been telling you all along: I more than like you". He says, "I love you too". I cried. A good cry. It is still a running joke. I more than like you. Yeah yeah, I more than like you too.

Love is funny.
    :heart:

That is adorable! Thanks for sharing <3
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    You are really pretty and that makes me too intimidated to reply.

LOL, thank you! But you should anyway, I love reading these!
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    said it three days after we met and we have been together for 11yrs now! =)
    wow! love at first site <3
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    To answer my own question:
    I am currently engaged and he said it first, although not long after I was thinking it. I was laying on his chest and he said "You know I love you, right?".

This is NOT saying "I love you"... more of a weaker version. I told my wife (then girlfriend) "I love you" and did not hear it back.. got nothing. I did this for three weeks before I got one back. I know she loves me, been married almost 15 years.

No, it was. You weren't there, nor do you know what exactly we were talking about it the moment. Or the conversation after wards. That wasn't a very nice response to something so personal and intimate I shared. If you don't have something nice to say, maybe you shouldn't say it at all. Just sayin' :ohwell:
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I was going out with my boyfriend for about 6 months and he told me I love u first and all I remember thinking was what do I say? So I told him I liked him too and he just said oh ok then thanks and went home. I was only 17 and were together 10 years now.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I've had it said to me by 3 different guys, they all said it first. I think I felt it first for one of them but was WAY to whimpy to tell him. I didn't have to wait long though, lol. :wink:

One guy told me he loved me after being together for only 2 weeks. It went something like this: "I hope you don't think I'm crazy, but I really need you to know. I am completely in love with you!" I felt the same way and was worried he would figure it out and think I was crazy. LOL That was a good one. :smooched: :love: :heart:

I have only said it back to 2 of the 3 guys though. I would NEVER say that to someone if I didn't feel it. Not a good idea for anyone.
  • briocktj
    briocktj Posts: 128
    Options
    The night I met my hubby for the first time, I went home and told my mom and Granny that I had met the man I was going to marry. A couple weeks into the relationship I told him I loved him and he said dont tell me that. It is too soon. So... we kept dating and he eventually told me he loved me too and we will celebrate 19 years of marriage on January 23rd.