Too thin???

Options
13»

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I've just uploaded the picture to my profile. Red top. Tell me if I look ill!

Ill???? No, you bloody don't, you look very healthy actually.

I wonder sometimes you know, people say others look too thin, but it is often because they are so used to knowing that person as large, that they just cannot get their heads around the slimmer person!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you're worrying about BMI you're wasting your time. BMI is not intended to be used on individuals. My ideal weight according to my doctor is about 35 pounds over the "normal" range according to BMI due to my muscle mass and bone density. I'm smaller now, appearance and clothing wise than I was 5 years ago, yet I currently weigh about 30 pounds more than I did then.

The weight on the scale is next to meaningless, body fat is a much better indicator of health.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    140? Okay? I think I would change doctors. No way 140 is healthy for someone that is 5"2'. Your healthy weight should range between 115 and 120 with 110 being the lowest you should go.

Sometimes we look bad in the face and are told we are too thin when we are not getting the right nutrition. It is very important that we eat as well as take supplements.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    140? Okay? I think I would change doctors. No way 140 is healthy for someone that is 5"2'. Your healthy weight should range between 115 and 120 with 110 being the lowest you should go.

You're basing this on ...?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

9112979.jpg

That's my guess. Same person will probably tell me I should weigh 140 pounds, sorry, but I'm not interested in losing 25 pounds of muscle in order to fit into some random arbitrary BMI chart that isn't even designed to gauge individuals.
  • rml_16
    Options

9112979.jpg

That's my guess. Same person will probably tell me I should weigh 140 pounds, sorry, but I'm not interested in losing 25 pounds of muscle in order to fit into some random arbitrary BMI chart that isn't even designed to gauge individuals.

The BMI chart gives a range of about 40 pounds. This wasn't even based on BMI. I'm trying to figure out where in the world those number came from.

Another I've heard is you should weigh 5 pounds above 100 for every inch of height over 5', but that can't be what this person is talking about because that would mean 110 is ideal for 5'2".

I'm terribly confused. I think Sponge Bob is right.
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    There will come a point in your weight loss journey when you will say to yourself:

I am happy with my weight now (+ or - 2-4 lbs)
    I am happy with the way I look now
    I love the way I feel
    I find this weight easy to maintain

That should be your goal.

YOU are the most important person on this journey don't be distracted by other people's comments they are curve balls that we must learn to deal with.

Your red top picture looks great.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am basing this on personal experience. Seriously folks, 140 lbs on that small of a frame hurts the back and knees.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I am basing this on personal experience. Seriously folks, 140 lbs on that small of a frame hurts the back and knees.

Height and frame are two completely different things. And just because 140 on YOU at 5'2" is too much does not mean it's too much on someone else the same height.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

Height and frame are two completely different things. And just because 140 on YOU at 5'2" is too much does not mean it's too much on someone else the same height.
    Again, track Body Fat as well
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

It's not rocket science folks....
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks guys. Just to clarify to those of you who looked at the pic, it was taken in 2006.

I will aim for 140 and see how I feel at that point. And will defo use fat percentage instead now!

Onwards!!