Hi, 10 days in and I'm starving. Any tips please?

Options
13»

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    you definetely need to eat more, 1200 is way too low for a male, especially if you are exercising. what are your weight loss goals set to lose per week for MFP to only give you 1200?

im female, on 1740 and i very rarely feel hungry / like i am on a diet. I exercise 4-5 times a week, and i lose 1-2lbs most weeks (MFP set for 1lb/week).
  • AJB87
    AJB87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Smaller meals throughout the day seem to help me get over my hunger pains. I have found that eating a good breakfast really helps me to stay full for about 2-3 hours. My favorite is Eggo Nutri grain waffles toasted (which are whole grains and low fat :bigsmile:) with 2 tbsp of peanut butter spread on them ( i :heart: Peter Pan crunchy myself) and then topped off with a small sliced banana (all of this for 412 calories and it really does keep me full!). I drink a glass of water first just to be sure i'm actually not thirsty and if i still feel hungry then i eat a snack of some sort - either fruit, cottage cheese or other small meal under 300 calories. Planning your meals and snacks helps a lot! that way you don't break down and eat junk. Hope this helps and keep up the good work!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Brad,

I’m not a professional, but I suggest that you 1) push your calorie goal per day by at least 200. 2) never consume less than 1200 calories per day, period. 3) take a critical look at your diary and adjust your macros. Push lean protein and really look at your diary. Do you eat only when you’re hungry? Do you plan your meals in advance? Do you plan your snacks in advance? Try plain greek yogurt with fresh fruit instead of the premix that’s full of sugar and preservatives. 4) Listen to your body. I get hungry 6 times a day, so I have my diary set into 6 meals per day: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, dinner, snack. What’s your body telling you? Drink water. 5) fill in the gaps with veggies.
  • eccels
    eccels Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi Brad, I know the feeling. I agree with the others and think that maybe you are not eating nearly enough. 1200 cal a day for a male seems to be very little....

What about a good protein drink as a snack - twice a day. I use something called LEANPLEX, which I am sure is available internationally (I am in South Africa). Just be sure that you check the labels and that you are not choosing something that is high in carbs! If you are exercising then you are also allowed more calories. Maybe you need to go back into your goals and re-look at what you entered there.

Good luck going forward
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    You are not eating enough. I'm at 1500 calories and perfectly content (and i burn a nice amount of calories daily). Plus I use my calories wisely (meaning -- I eat high quality foods (veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean protein). 5 mini meals a day. Occasional protein drink.
  • oliviapeacock
    oliviapeacock Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you considered opening your diary for others to see? It might be easier to make good nutrition suggestions if we know what you're eating each day and when. Like others on here have already said, it's likely that you're not eating enough. Try aiming for 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day that are high in protein and fiber. And make sure you're drinking your water. Although many will argue the importance of getting 8+ glasses of water, for me, it helps me stay full longer and helps curb snacking in between meals. Good luck!

Great advice. You are welcome to view my diary. I workout a lot, thus my food intake is higher. I rarely, if ever, get hungry.
  • Luv2Cook
    Luv2Cook Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with Meerkat70. You're calorie intake is too low for a male. I'm 42 year-old, 5'3 female and my calorie intake is 1500! Also, if you're working out regularly, you need to track your exercise because you gain calories to add to your daily caloric total. This will help so you can eat more. Listen to your body......it's hungry.....feed it! If you want to stay full longer, you need to eat protein (eggs, cheese, lean deli meat, greek yogurt, whey protein shakes, etc)! Good luck to you! ;)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As a male you should not be eating less than 1500 Net (1500 cals, plus eat back what you burn). Here is a guide for setting proper weight loss goals. I am assuming your weekly loss goal is far too aggressive for how much you have to lose:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • candy214
    Options
    Try drinking more water. I find that if I get hungry and drink a bottle of water, I feel less so. I have heard that hunger is a type of mild dehydration.
    Hope it helps!
  • skinnyhobbit
    Options
    I agree with the other posts to up your calories and include your bonus workout calories that myfitpal gives you. Also eat every 2 to 3 hours: Almonds, peanut butter & apples, hummus & sprouted bread, protein shake, lots of veggies and plant proteins will help stave off your hunger.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    eat back all or most of your exercise cals.

Eat more protein

eggs, egg whites

almonds 5-10 uasually make me feel better or 100cal pack natural almonds and walnuts

peanut butter with your apple

chicken breast

soup. I make a celery root one with very few cals but it fills me up. PM me for teh recipie if you like.

Good Luck!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    1200 is not nearly enough for almost anyone...its borderline starvation mode. Eating more (whatever MFP may recommend for 1lb a week loss) and you should be satisfied and watch the lbs come off!!!