Dizzy while exercising

Options
Didn't know where to post this but I figured here would be a good start.

I've noticed that I get very lightheaded while exercising, especially when coming up from plank, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with my diet. What do you guys eat to help keep your energy going and blood sugar from dropping? (I think that's my problem) Some days I feel very refreshed after a workout while others leave me extremely tired. Any tips?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Didn't know where to post this but I figured here would be a good start.

I've noticed that I get very lightheaded while exercising, especially when coming up from plank, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with my diet. What do you guys eat to help keep your energy going and blood sugar from dropping? (I think that's my problem) Some days I feel very refreshed after a workout while others leave me extremely tired. Any tips?

Tiredness can be caused by a few things, not enough calories or not enough carbs. It's had to tell as I don't see you logging your food. I know with me, I can't have less than 200 g of carbs on a 2800 calorie diet or i can't push myself 100% during workouts.
  • FierceFitBeautiful
    Options
    Definitely make sure you're fueling your body properly before you begin your workout. Try and get a carb and a protein in there.. like oatmeal (complex carb!) and a protein shake, then workout 30min-60min after. Also make sure you're warming up properly to get your heart pumping... I always have to do a solid ten minutes of cardio before I begin circuit training because of my low blood pressure, or else I experience the same dizziness you do.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Be sure to drink lots of water and eat a healthy snack before your workout that should help.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Have some good quality carbs 30-60 minutes before exercising, and keep yourself hydrated.

I workout first thing in the morning, so have oatmeal before I leave for the gym and then get through about 1L of water while working out.

Also, make sure you breathe correctly. I have a tendancy to hold my breath, so when I do breathe all most of the Oxygen get's diverted to my muscles and giving me a headrush. hehehehe
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Are you eating under 1200 calories a day? If so, that could be your key problem. If not, you may want to see a doctor to make sure everything is ok.
  • JenGrape
    JenGrape Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If my blood sugar is too low I have this problem. I had to up my calories and protein intake to get my dizziness to stop! The protein keeps the blood sugar levels more even. When I don't get my calories in that I should I have dizziness with fast or sudden motion. You may have to play with your diet to figure out what eliminates it for you!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You could have low potassium levels, keep track of your potassium. Usually dizziness, nausea, muscle cramps etc. are signs of low potassium. I don't really track my calories on here, but I track my potassium levels. It has been said that people ages 19-50 need about 4700mg per day. The daily recommended value is 3500, but if you're athletic you may need more than that. If you feel like your potassium levels are too low, you need to see a doctor.
    Also, same symptoms can happen if your potassium levels are too high. Usually this happens if you're taking a potassium supplement. Sometimes you could be getting enough potassium, but your body is depleting it faster than it can absorb it. That's when you should see a doc about it.
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Start by logging your food and keep a workout journal for a week or so. In the food journal, try to include water intake and times of your meal. After every workout, write down how you feel. Then you can go back and see what you ate and how it affected your workout.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I know for me, there are times when I get light-headed while exercising, I blame it on to much caffeine
  • vlwallace87
    vlwallace87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    All I drink is water since I cut out soda. (thank goodness) I usually eat oatmeal or a good cereal for breakfast. I do workout DVDs which have a warmup section built in. (don't know if it's enough, it usually lasts 5 mins) I ran out of my protein mix so that could be an issue too. I might not be eating enough even though I eat a lot healthier, but I think it's a combination thing. One friend told me to eat an apple before working out, but I've never thought of that.

I've also noticed my BP is low. Sometimes its in the 80/50 ballpark, but I've been told that's normal.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    All I drink is water since I cut out soda. (thank goodness) I usually eat oatmeal or a good cereal for breakfast. I do workout DVDs which have a warmup section built in. (don't know if it's enough, it usually lasts 5 mins) I ran out of my protein mix so that could be an issue too. I might not be eating enough even though I eat a lot healthier, but I think it's a combination thing. One friend told me to eat an apple before working out, but I've never thought of that.

I've also noticed my BP is low. Sometimes its in the 80/50 ballpark, but I've been told that's normal.

And how many calories are you eating?
  • tiny_tina321
    Options
    I suffer from low blood pressure and had the same symptoms even passed out while exercising. You need to up your salt intake and keep very hydrated. That did wonders for me
  • vlwallace87
    Options

Somewhere in the 1300 calorie ballpark. I'm going to keep a closer track on it. I think some days I let myself slip below.
  • vlwallace87
    Options
    I suffer from low blood pressure and had the same symptoms even passed out while exercising. You need to up your salt intake and keep very hydrated. That did wonders for me

I rarely eat salt and that could be a problem too. I've always avoided sodium because of my family history of high BP, but in my case my blood pressure is too low in my opinion. I've had several people say it's normal which is weird.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options

I rarely eat salt and that could be a problem too. I've always avoided sodium because of my family history of high BP, but in my case my blood pressure is too low in my opinion. I've had several people say it's normal which is weird.

I have low blood pressure, too, and it happens quite frequently going from a laying position to standing like you said it happens when you come up from plank. Does it happen at any other time of your exercise? When you're upright, running or doing whatever other cardio, or only when you come from a laying position to standing?
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Watch to see your head position when you get dizzy. If you are getting dizzy with certain head movements it could be a vestibular problem (inner ear). Your dizziness doesn't sound like its that kind of problem though. Like everyone else has mentioned, fuel your body and keep hydrated. You need carbs for energy to burn! Good luck and you can always message me if you find that you do get dizzy with certain head movements!
  • vlwallace87
    Options

I have low blood pressure, too, and it happens quite frequently going from a laying position to standing like you said it happens when you come up from plank. Does it happen at any other time of your exercise? When you're upright, running or doing whatever other cardio, or only when you come from a laying position to standing?

I just seems to happen when I am coming up from a low position. Like when I do crunches, pushups, dumbbell dead-lifts..... really anything that requires me to go down to the floor then up or has me stooping down.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Somewhere in the 1300 calorie ballpark. I'm going to keep a closer track on it. I think some days I let myself slip below.

Try upping your calories to see if that helps. I would bump it to 1500-1600 as I have a feeling you aren't eating exercise calories back. If that doesn't work, there is a chance you could have hypotension.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The book I was reading says that on exercise days you not only need to eat your breakfast. lunch and dinner but a pre and post-exercise snack. They help fuel you for the coming exercise and help repair muscles after the burn. It recommends, like most people here already have, something high in protein and a starch/fruit or vegetable. When you're exercising you definitely need more calories to keep your energy up. (I don't always get an exact calorie count for my burn but I try to get something so I can replenish what I've lost)
  • helenrs87
    Options
    I used to get this problem very severely until I read an article about over hydrating during exercise. It's estimated that 80-90% of people drink too much during exercise. It's important to stay properly hydrated but this should be done beforehand, if you're dehydrated when you start to exercise, then it's too late to change it. When you drink large quantities during exercise it can go straight to your brain and cause dizziness (amongst more serious things). When I felt dizzy I always felt like I needed more fluid and it always made me worse. Now I make sure I thoroughly hydrate in the mornings at least an hour before I exercise. When I do exercise, I take a small amount of an electrolyte sports drink during and a decent amount when I finish, and I don't tend to get dizzy any more.