Do you eat your workout calories? If you do are you still lo

Options

Replies

• PWanks
    PWanks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Having those extra calories is what motivates me to work out. I find it really hard to stay within 1200 calories so I rely on my workout to give me some wiggle room. I say to myself, "If you go to the gym, you can have a cookie for dessert or a glass of wine with dinner." Stuff like that. It's worked for me so far! And I don't have to EVER feel hungry or deprived of the stuff I want. I think that's the key to losing weight and maintaining it and that's what MFP is about, I think.
  • mrfritz
    Options
    I think I will start eating back my workout calories, as I have hit a plateau!
    I work out 30 minutes elliptical, 30 minutes walking with my dog most days.
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    not always, I feel that I lose more weight when I don't
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I don't always but if I'm extra hungry & I have the extra calories I will. Obviously I try to aim for stuff that is on the healthy side :smile: although I have been guilty of using it for a chocolate or a 'treat' :blushing:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I eat the HELL out of them and I am still losing quite well thanks. I don't every day as it depends a LOT of what I ate, how much I burned, etc, but some days I go way over and some days I am under. Like yesterday I didn't eat most of them back, but the day before I ate an extra 400 calories regardless of not having burned any calories. It balances out through the week for me.

I eat as much as 2000 -2400 calories some days and I am still losing and YES I have a sedentary office job and NO I am not huge (I am 5'6" 165)
  • xaviersmom130
    Options
    i dont eat my work out calories back. i just started this and ive only lost 4 lbs so far in about 5 days. i want to continue this path and it seems to be working.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    no i dont eat mine backk. i maintain weight i eat back my excercise cals!! and this is something dont want as im only halfway to my goal :laugh:

1400 cals a day, and around 500 calorie burn a day works wounders for me. if im on plateaux then i will up my cals for a few weeks, then drop it back down again and it gets me back to looosing lb's here and there.

its different for everyone tho! this might or might not work for you!! you should try different things and see what works best.
  • tmhenning
    Options
    Totally laughed out loud to this comment while sitting at work! :smile:
  • LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That's the only reason I work out. Just kidding, sorta.

Lol I'm not gonna lie, it is a BIG motivator!! I eat back mine!
  • slolife14
    slolife14 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's the only reason I work out. Just kidding, sorta.

That's the main reason I work out ;)
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    EAT THEM!

I run to eat!

Have been maintaining by eating them for a good few months now, definately eat them back.

(NB Also ate them back when I was losing!)
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat ALLL of my workout calories...just because I can't physically eat that much during the day. But I have pretty high burn numbers that usually stay around 700 cals or more I try and eat back at least 200-300 of my exercise cals if possible. just make WISE decisions on the food you're choosing to eat. so fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts, ect...:wink:
  • bellababey
    Options
    I havent logged for a while now and am trying to get my self back in to it but i used to eat my work out calories most of the time and still lost x
  • greenfuzzywuzzy
    Options
    I also have done a little research...and everything says to eat your excercise calories.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I did not in the beginning, but I was VERY overweight.

I do now, and in fact I workout more so I can eat more ;)
  • greenfuzzywuzzy
    Options
    To the guy who lost over 200 pounds - I so wanna be on your team!! Awesome man!! You inspire me...
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Oh, and yes I still lose weight, in fact it got to the point that I was not losing much. I started eating exercise calories and bam, back on to pretty consistent losses.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I ate mine since I started, and had great progress while I was losing weight.

The best part is that I never trained my body to survive on a minimal amount of calories, so at 39, I have the metabolism of a teenager and can eat pretty much whatever I want. Well, maybe that's the second best part. The real best part is that since I fueled my body properly, the majority of my weight loss has been from fat, and I've kept my lean muscle. So I'm about 130# and wearing clothes I last wore twenty years ago when I was 110#.

There were times that I didn't think it was possible for me to lose weight because when I reduced calories a lot, it was so hard for me to drop the pounds. I thought it was simple matter of "the less you eat, the more you lose." Not so. I now know that I have to eat enough for my body to feel comfortable ditching the excess fat.
  • greenfuzzywuzzy
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories back everyday... I need to fuel my workouts and keep from having a huge caloric deficit. I gauge my calories burned off my FT60 Polar HRM and make sure I eat back what I burn to keep myself around my MFP setting of losing 1 pound a week... Working for me......
    :flowerforyou: