Gained weight after starting exercise program

Options
2»

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    MFP recommended me 1200 a day, I am 5 foot 2 and 157 pounds.
  • rose313
    Options
    I'm not sure how tall you are but 1200 calories per day seems a bit low for the amount of weight you have to lose. If your goal is set at 2 pounds per week, I'd change that to 1 pound per week.

If that's not the case, then I'd also suggest increase your water intake a bit more, especially on the days you're consuming a lot of sodium and the days you're active.

Any chance it's your time of the month? Sometimes we forget how much that can alter our weight...
    Actually it will be my time of month next week...I did forget until a lot of people replied with that reason. I also am happy to increase my water intake even more...I LOVE water!
  • FinalOutrage
    Options
    Is that your net amount of calories (after logging exercise)? Your body could be going into survival mode if you aren't eating your exercise calories.

Also please do not believe people that tell you that muscle weighs more than fat. It doesn't. Muscle is only more dense and more packed together than fat so a 250 pound athlete/bodybuilder will look significantly thinner than the average 250 pound man.
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Is that your net amount of calories (after logging exercise)? Your body could be going into survival mode if you aren't eating your exercise calories.

Also please do not believe people that tell you that muscle weighs more than fat. It doesn't. Muscle is only more dense and more packed together than fat so a 250 pound athlete/bodybuilder will look significantly thinner than the average 250 pound man.

Yes muscle does not weigh more ten fat. A pound is still a pound. and as he said muscle is dense and packed together
  • rose313
    Options

Yes, it is my net.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It is definitely muscle gain. I've been doing cardio and some strength training for 3 months, and I gained five pounds at first. It was all muscle since I haven't been active in so long. I lost fat because I dropped two dress sizes. Now, I've lost that five pounds, plus an additional 10 (I worked out two hours a day--four days a week). Don't be discouraged--you will burn more fat the more muscle you have. Eat right and follow a good exercise routine, and if you stick with it, you will lose inches. Weight is just a number on the scale.
  • rose313
    Options
    Thank you for all the great information. I guess I should expect to see a gain at first and I will (try) not to be disappointed.