Calories burned in a Saunas

Options

Replies

• pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wow... Maybe you guys could help answering the question WITHOUT being total *kitten*?|

Twilighttabby, there are a lot of sources that differ about this subject. Research as much as you can... But if it comes down to it, maybe getting an HRM and finding out for yourself is the best way to go...? After all, calories burned is unique to the person, their weight, and their level of fitness.

To me, it doesn't seem like a very efficient way to burn, simply because it does nothing to really increase overall fitness... :happy:

Thankyou also for wording it that way...lol..this is what I was thinking. I really wish it could be more postive on this site instead of trying to...gosh i can't even find the right words. Just been ecouraging for goodness sakes.

^^^^ yup, its a question guys, wtf are you replying as if someone sat you in a sauna and force fed you lard *rolls eyes* it is not cool
    Did anyone say that saunas are bad or could cause one to gain weight? No -- we answered the question. Sitting in a sauna will not help one lose weight.

maybe you did, let me clarify that i am not talking about everyone
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Zero. It's just sitting.

This. I wouldn't count any, since it isn't exercise. Unless I was doing sit ups in there.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    3. I don't own a HRM but my heart rate DEFINITELY gets up there when I do bikram. In that respect it's probably equivalent to aerobics or running.

I don't do bikram, but I do wear my heart rate monitor while I do yoga (ashtanga/vinyasa, so similar pose styles as bikram minus the oppressive heat). The problem is that yes, your heart rate does go up when you do a pose, but it will immediately come back down as soon as you exit the pose. So during the class my maximum heart rate will get up to about 150-155, but my average heart rate over the entire class is only about 105-110. I burn about 250-300 cals in a 75 minute class - which is certainly nothing to sneeze at, but if I ran for 75 minutes I'd be burning about 700 cals because I would be *sustaining* that heart rate throughout the entire workout.

Don't forget too that your HRM gives you total calories burned, not just the extra burned from exercise, when you take that into account (you have to back out maintenance cals for that amount of time) the cals to enter into MFP would be even lower. If you burn 1.25 cals/min based on maintenance that would be 94 in 75 minutes so you would take your 300 and minus 94 and enter 206 into MFP as cals burned from exercise as the other 94 you would have burned anyway had you not done yoga, and is already included in your daily caloric allotment on MFP.
    My polar instructions didn't say anything about backing out maintenance calories, and I've been doing fine just far recording the number that the HRM gives me.

Call the manufacturer. Polar I know for sure gives total caloric burn, including BMR (I use polar myself), not on top of. I beleive all HRM's do it this way as the manufacturer has no idea you are using a program such as MFP that already allows for maintenance during the time you workout.

You are probably still doing just fine (just as I am) by not backing out because it is not really a significant amount of calories in the long run for some people.

For instance, maintenance for me is 1,720 calories/day. That is 1,720/24hrs = 72 cals/hour. My workouts are usually 30 minutes max: 72cals*0.5 = 36 calories. I would need to back out 36 calories to be SUPER accurate. However, do those 36 calories matter to me? No, not really. Do they really make a significant difference in my progress? No, not really. Thus, for me it is not worth the extra time wasted doing the math and I just log the entire burn. :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I heard if you are taking HCG you can burn 2,000 calories an hour just by sitting in a sauna!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    3. I don't own a HRM but my heart rate DEFINITELY gets up there when I do bikram. In that respect it's probably equivalent to aerobics or running.

I don't do bikram, but I do wear my heart rate monitor while I do yoga (ashtanga/vinyasa, so similar pose styles as bikram minus the oppressive heat). The problem is that yes, your heart rate does go up when you do a pose, but it will immediately come back down as soon as you exit the pose. So during the class my maximum heart rate will get up to about 150-155, but my average heart rate over the entire class is only about 105-110. I burn about 250-300 cals in a 75 minute class - which is certainly nothing to sneeze at, but if I ran for 75 minutes I'd be burning about 700 cals because I would be *sustaining* that heart rate throughout the entire workout.

Don't forget too that your HRM gives you total calories burned, not just the extra burned from exercise, when you take that into account (you have to back out maintenance cals for that amount of time) the cals to enter into MFP would be even lower. If you burn 1.25 cals/min based on maintenance that would be 94 in 75 minutes so you would take your 300 and minus 94 and enter 206 into MFP as cals burned from exercise as the other 94 you would have burned anyway had you not done yoga, and is already included in your daily caloric allotment on MFP.
    My polar instructions didn't say anything about backing out maintenance calories, and I've been doing fine just far recording the number that the HRM gives me.

Call the manufacturer. Polar I know for sure gives total caloric burn, including BMR (I use polar myself), not on top of. I beleive all HRM's do it this way as the manufacturer has no idea you are using a program such as MFP that already allows for maintenance during the time you workout.

You are probably still doing just fine (just as I am) by not backing out because it is not really a significant amount of calories in the long run for some people.

For instance, maintenance for me is 1,720 calories/day. That is 1,720/24hrs = 72 cals/hour. My workouts are usually 30 minutes max: 72cals*0.5 = 36 calories. I would need to back out 36 calories to be SUPER accurate. However, do those 36 calories matter to me? No, not really. Do they really make a significant difference in my progress? No, not really. Thus, for me it is not worth the extra time wasted doing the math and I just log the entire burn. :)

I agree, the only time this really makes a difference is if you are doing low intensity over a long period of time i.e. 4 hour hike, bowling, etc.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Saunas smell good.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Saunas smell good.
    I can fix that, in a flash!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options

I agree, the only time this really makes a difference is if you are doing low intensity over a long period of time i.e. 4 hour hike, bowling, etc.

Very true! :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Saunas smell good.

Please don't stink up the sauna.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I sit in the sauna for about 30 minutes after working out. I always wear my Polar HRM, and I burn maybe 10 calories. I too saw websites that claimed 300 calories for 1/2 hour, but no go.

Its great for my skin and relaxation though.

^^This. I've done this too. Still has benefits and sweating is a great way to release toxins.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I heard if you are taking HCG you can burn 2,000 calories an hour just by sitting in a sauna!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself before you go in, weigh yourself when you come out to see that the pounds have been burnt off. Then drink a couple of pints of water, weigh again, and if by magic the pounds are back on!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have actually been meaning to check this out. I recently got a hrm and will wear it into my infrared sauna. I know the infrared are supposed to burn more calories, but it would just be interesting to know. I know it sure gets my heart rate up!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    A sauna will only help "sweat out toxins" if you have a "true toxic exposure".
    LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – A typical sauna uses steam to heat the body, but a new kind of sauna works by infrared light, in which radiant heat is absorbed by the body. Some claim it's better than steam because infrared saunas will make you sweat more. There have been many claims that any sauna can get rid of deadly toxins, but one expert at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital says here's what you need to know about sweat.

"When we sweat a lot, we are releasing some toxins, but that's only if one has a true toxic exposure," said Dr. Daniel Monti, an Integrative Medicine Expert. "For example they have high levels of mercury or lead in their blood, that needs to be assessed in a medical way and addressed in a medical way."

Dr. Monti says there are many claims linked to infrared saunas like burning calories, speeding anti-cellulite programs, relieving arthritis, and even boosting white blood cell counts, but there is no proof of any of that.

Source: http://www.kcbd.com/story/12260474/facts-and-myths-on-using-saunas-to-cleanse-the-body-of-toxins
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn in a sauna???????Different sources (mainly, sauna retailers and manufacturers) make a vast range of claims as to the calorie-burning effectiveness of sauna use, ranging from 50 to 900 calories burned in a half-hour-long session.I love setting in the sauna after working out and would love to know if you do burn calories and if so how many?If anyone knows please tell me.
    One of the reasons people fail is the ability we all have to seek out the softer, easier way.
    Forget the sauna!

Control your food intake, and do cardio and resistance exercise.

That's it.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    The same amount you burn sitting around my uncle Tito's house.

Tito sounds Sicilian and speaking from experience with Sicilian family, you would probably burn quite a lot of calories dodging flying dishes, and cheek pinches from Nona.
  • GemaG
    GemaG Posts: 142
    Options
    i have a friend that loves going in the darn sauna drives me crazy when i go to the gym with her lol, i'm like if i wanna sweat and sit, i can do that in my car any time between May and October :) i always figured it did nothing, losing water that your going to drink anyways?! sorry that was my opinion, and is not backed by any scientific claims lol
    LOL
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Saunas smell good.
    Please don't stink up the sauna.
    (sniff)

Too late! :blushing:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Part of this is pure logic. If sitting a sauna really led to easy weight loss and meaningful calorie burning then guess what? We'd all be thin from sitting in saunas, thus ending the obesity epidemic.

And there'd be no fat people in the tropics.
  • Fashionista012
    Fashionista012 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    GUYS PLEASE CHILL OUT! this place is supposed to be a helping community! if you don't like a question or it's beneath you or you take offense to it, then DO NOT TAKE THE TIME TO REPLY. And there is no law against posting a question twice and wanting more responses to make a judgement. If we were all smart and had all the answers, we wouldnt need a site like this!!! I remember many years they said Carbs, then no carbs, then cardio, then no cardio, the run then don;t run it's bad for your knees, then have sweet and low, then dont have sweet and low, so all you very smart people who want to take the time to answer a question and help, please leave the degrading comments to yourself and be happy for yourself that you are so advanced that you are above asking such questions...BUT KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. I am disgusted by this thread. GEEZ.
This discussion has been closed.