Calories burned in a Saunas

Options

Replies

• Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    A few comments on the bikram yoga:

1. No, I was not being sarcastic. I've searched high and low for calorie burn approximations online, and all the sources I've found claim a 90-minute session burns at least 750 calories (for someone of my size). 90 minutes of hatha yoga only burns 200. Even if the calorie counts for bikram are wildly exaggerated you can't deny that it still burns more. Furthermore, I can't say I've ever seen an overwieght person in my bikram classes-- most of the students are as skinny as a rail. Sure, it's possible that only skinny people are interested in bikram yoga, but I still maintain that being in a hot room leads to greater calorie burn.

2. Yes, you gain muscle strength from any kind of yoga, but the poses we do in bikram would not be very challenging if they were done at room temperature.

3. I don't own a HRM but my heart rate DEFINITELY gets up there when I do bikram. In that respect it's probably equivalent to aerobics or running.

1. I am far from skinny and LOVE Bikram Yoga ;) The MAJOR sweat and increase in HR makes me feel like I am doing something right! I have seen MAJOR athletes not even able to complete an entire class!

2. I find ALL the poses quite challenging...Can you please explain to me how you find toe to knee easy? lol!

3. I agree about a 90 minute class being as challenging as an other workout...The Bikram sit-ups alone are killer!!

• Twins2007
    Options
    GUYS PLEASE CHILL OUT! this place is supposed to be a helping community! if you don't like a question or it's beneath you or you take offense to it, then DO NOT TAKE THE TIME TO REPLY. And there is no law against posting a question twice and wanting more responses to make a judgement. If we were all smart and had all the answers, we wouldnt need a site like this!!! I remember many years they said Carbs, then no carbs, then cardio, then no cardio, the run then don;t run it's bad for your knees, then have sweet and low, then dont have sweet and low, so all you very smart people who want to take the time to answer a question and help, please leave the degrading comments to yourself and be happy for yourself that you are so advanced that you are above asking such questions...BUT KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. I am disgusted by this thread. GEEZ.

SAME HERE...WELL SAID!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    An increase in heart rate that occurs during thermal stress is not associated with an increased calorie burn.
    So does this also mean that my system of driving like a lunatic, thus keeping the heart rate of myself and any unfortunate passengers elevated for hours at a stretch, isn't going to make us all thin? :sad:
  • Twins2007
    Options
    It's ridiculous the denial and justification that lazy people will utilize to continue being lazy. I would have to RUN 7-8 miles to burn 900 calories. You REALLY think you could burn that SITTING in a sauna? C'mon...get real. You could maybe burn that much if you sat in a sauna for a full day and didn't ingest ANY calories. Have fun with that.

REALLY? WOW.
  • Twins2007
    Options
    A sauna heats the body, forcing it to work to cool itself. This engages the metabolism, increasing heart rate and circulation in much the same way as physical exercise.That much I know. I does burn calories just setting there,I just don't know how much.That info came from my doctor.

Oh come on. You're just being lazy and want to earn calories to eat based on sitting in a hot room. It's like the people who log cleaning their house. It's not exercise. Don't log it. Your body burns calories daily, but you need to burn EXTRA to lose weight.

BeinG Called Lazy for asking a question. Wow. Thanks!
  • pollypriday
    Options
    It can assist with fluid retention however anything lost in a sauna tends to come straight back in with a glass of water...great for the skin though.

My old coach used to make us do exercises like sit ups in the sauna...but very gently and slowly and in small amounts.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Twins2007, Stop white knighting and let this topic die.
  • callherbeautyxo
    callherbeautyxo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been told the sauna doesn't burn any calories it's just good for your skin because it opens up your pores and it helps get rid of water weight.
  • Twins2007
    Options
    Oups...Posted twice!

Quit reading the thread and let it die.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    This was the first post I read this morning. Guess I should have gotten popcorn ~ I never thought it would still be going.
  • Twins2007
    Options
    Twins2007, Stop white knighting and let this topic die.

Quit reading the thread and let it die.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I just went to Bikram Yoga yesterday and wore my heart rate monitor. I burned on 571 calories in the 90 minute session. I have been doing bikram for about two months and trust me when I say that its one hell of a workout. I don't do it by itself for weight loss, but it has helped to tone my muscles and increase my flexibility.

I have to keep bringing this up because too many people see this information and think it is correct.

HRMs CANNOT be used to estimate calorie burn in a thermal stress environment. (HRMs are only rough estimates to begin with --even during aerobic exercise, but that is a different topic). In this type of situation, they are useless and the numbers are meaningless.

HRMs do not measure calories burned. They measure heart rate. HRMs are programmed so that, under a limited set of conditions (steady-state aerobic exercise in a normal environment of heat/humidity), their algorithms can use heart rate to estimate calorie expenditure to within about 80% accuracy.

That's it.

During other conditions -- e.g. like during Bikram Yoga -- the HRM senses the elevated heart rate that occurs due to thermal stress. It reflexively spits out a "calorie" number, as it is programmed to do. However, the HRM does not know that you are exercising under a set of conditions that render its calculations meaningless. Just because an HRM displays a calorie number, that does not mean you are actually burning that many calories. An increase in heart rate that occurs during thermal stress is not associated with an increased calorie burn.

I could strap an HRM to a fence post, use a pulse-signal simulator, and would tell me that the fence post was burning 800 calories in an hour. That would be just as accurate as the number one gets wearing a heart rate monitor during something like a bikram yoga class.

For some reason, people insist on treating this information as though it was an attack on Bikram Yoga --or saunas, or weight training, or whatever.

It is not. The intention is to make people view their HRM numbers with caution; to understand what they can and cannot do; and to not use HRMs as some type of mythical "gold standard" for estimating calories--which they most certainly are not.

Thank you for this information. What I will ask is if you are arguing the limits of measuring calories burned during workouts... is there something else that can be better used to estimate this? If no... then what else do you suggest we use? Im not trying to give you a hard time.. my military thinking is if you say something doesn't work, or has its faults, then what does the job better? I dont think anyone in here expects the HRM to be some kind of miracle worker or give false hopes....at some point common sense does have to come into play.....

Yes, there are limits. The most reliable way of measuring calories is not practical. That would be spending $10K or so for a metabolic cart that analyzes your expired oxygen during each workout (which I would do it I could, not because I care about calories that much, but because I love data ;-)

Every common method that we use is just an estimate--whether it is an HRM or a BodyBugg device. They are trying to measure other physical responses and then finding patterns in those responses that match changes in oxygen uptake. They detect the patterns, develop mathematical algorithms, and then test those algorithms against a sample of exercisers whose actual effort is measured using a metabolic cart.

If the correlation is high enough, they say, "yay, we have a valid algorithm--go out and sell a million of these". I'm not a mathematician, but if you have ever seen the raw data from a validation test like this, you will see data points scattered all around a mean that is the "line of best fit".

To complicate things even more (in the case of HR vs calories) the relationship between changes in heart rate and rate of calorie burn only exists under certain circumstances -- as I described earlier.

To complicate things even more, the reliability of the algorithms is completely dependent on the accuracy of the setup information provided by the user. So if the HRM assumes your maximum heart rate is "X" but your true maximum HR is "X + 20" then all your numbers will be off. Same thing with oxygen uptake.

HRMs are most useful during exercises where either the scale/calibration of the machine is way off (example: most elliptical cross trainers), or where the exercise involves changing movements/intensities (example: most exercise classes/DVDs), or when there are variable conditions or terrain (example: mountain hiking, outdoor cycling).

They are useless for any activity in which HR is artificially elevated due to some external factor--basically when heart rate increases without a corresponding increase in cardiac output/oxygen uptake. At that point the "scale" is completely thrown off.
    These conditions include: thermal stress, psychological stress, illness, strength training.

What's the solution? Just be cautious with your numbers. Don't look for precision. The "risk" of "starvation mode" has been so overstated that people are worrying too much about "eating back" every exercise calorie. Also, way too many people are using 1200 cal/day eating plans under the mistaken assumption that will promote the fastest rate of weight loss.

People who are starting out, who have a high percentage of body fat, and whose starting weight is 190 or higher would likely do better at first be setting their base intake higher (1400-1600 minimum), eating a "replenishing snack" of 150-200 cals after a 600+ calorie workout and not routinely eating back exercise calories at all.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    People who are starting out, who have a high percentage of body fat, and whose starting weight is 190 or higher would likely do better at first be setting their base intake higher (1400-1600 minimum), eating a "replenishing snack" of 150-200 cals after a 600+ calorie workout and not routinely eating back exercise calories at all.
    Some of us are trying to maintain our weight. (Again - I don't do "hot yoga" but I have to have something to differentiate between a day that I do a moderate yoga class versus a vigorous yoga class versus a day that I run a couple miles. The HRM is accurate enough.) And for me personally, I'd rather slightly over-estimate and have that surplus improve my muscle mass rather than slightly under-estimate and cannibalize muscle mass because I didn't eat back enough.
  • twilighttabby
    twilighttabby Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I never said that you could burn 900 calories. I started this post just because I wanted to see if what I heard was right. I never believed it. I never thought that I would be getting called lazy and stupid for just asking a question!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    this thread is still steaming
  • twilighttabby
    Options
    reading through threads like this just reinforces my decision to not frequent the MFP message boards too often....:noway: thanks for reminding me of that yet again!

I feel the same as you. This was my first post and it will be my last. It is sad that you can't come to this site and post a question without being judge and made fun of. IT WAS JUST A QUESTION. Man,I am sorry I asked.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    reading through threads like this just reinforces my decision to not frequent the MFP message boards too often....:noway: thanks for reminding me of that yet again!

I feel the same as you. This was my first post and it will be my last. It is sad that you can't come to this site and post a question without being judge and made fun of. IT WAS JUST A QUESTION. Man,I am sorry I asked.

But there are several serious and helpful responses to your question. I think overgeneralising like this is just as big a problem as the teasing that sometimes happens on threads.
  • twilighttabby
    Options

But there are several serious and helpful responses to your question. I think overgeneralising like this is just as big a problem as the teasing that sometimes happens on threads.

And I thank everyone for the helpful responses...THANK YOU VERY MUCH :flowerforyou: ... but when someone is down on themself because if their weight or anything else it only takes one bad comment to hide all the good ones. I am done with this post and I wish I know how to delete it.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

And I thank everyone for the helpful responses...THANK YOU VERY MUCH :flowerforyou: ... but when someone is down on themself because if their weight or anything else it only takes one bad comment to hide all the good ones. I am done with this post and I wish I know how to delete it.
    Actually, you received good info.

Glean what you can, and leave the rest. Sauna's are good, but don't count on them for much in the way of weight loss.
    That's golden!
  • MissAzSunBunny
    MissAzSunBunny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out these two articles from livestrong... They are on weightloss and calorie burning in a sauna :-)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/317216-calories-burned-while-in-a-dry-sauna/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/383056-weight-loss-with-a-dry-sauna/
This discussion has been closed.