How much water is too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Clear urine is usually not a problem. If you are peeing too much or too often, then you might want to cut back.

From the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2)
    Generally if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or light yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake or have health issues, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's right for you.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    This is so funny cause I had just asked this question yesterday, I think as long as you don't force your self to dink it your o.k. When I was all healthy and only drank water and milk my pee was clear too, I think that means you are like healthy or cleared out of toxins, but I would check with a doc maybe you have a condition that is making you feel thirsty,

And just to note a couple years back I heard of a girl who tried to win a contest about who can drink the most water, any way she deid cuz she drank to much and like druned herslef so like I said dont force your self if your not thirsty don't drink

10039000.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • NicoleLyn1818
    Options
    A gallon of water a day is too much. It will dehydrate you. Trust me, you will never feel more stupid than when you are sitting in a hospital with an IV rehydrating you because you drank too much water. That said, nearly clear urine is fine. Being extremely well hydrated is a good thing. I've had several doctors coment on how well hydrated I was when I had to leave a sample. Remember when you go in the toilet your urine is being diluted with a fairly large amount of water, which will make nearly clear urine look like plain water. Just be sure to keep it under a gallon a day.

It doesn't necessarily dehydrate you. Dehydration means you do not have enough water or fluids in your body. Drinking TOO MUCH water without replenishing your electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, and calcium), will just deplete your body of those essentials and cause many things to go wrong in your body....which is why they would have to give you an IV--to replenish. Drink some gatorade or electrolyte replacing fluids, or eat a little more sodium and other essentials to replenish the electrolytes.
  • kvhmc
    kvhmc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a medical student so have been revising this relatively recently. Provided you're not taking illegal drugs, which can affect your perception of thirst, you are unlikely to drink too much water. Having clear urine is not a problem, but is an indication that you're drinking plenty of water. The recommended amount of water is meant to be 2 liters, but a lot of that comes from food you eat anyway. There is such a thing called water intoxication where, if vast quantities of water are drank, this causes cells in the brain to swell and increases the pressure within skull. There are a variety of symptoms but headaches and drowsiness are probably the most common. However, that is really rare! Our kidneys are able to excrete about 1 liter per hour if they are in working order.