17-day diet support

kmp327
kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
Hey (potential) friends! I've been a member for quite awhile but I got frustrated with being obsessed over calorie counting and strayed. I'm back and now trying the 17-day diet since a few friends of mine have had great success with it.

So I'm not going to be counting calories, and I also don't weigh myself (again, trying to get away from the being obsessed with numbers thing), but I would love some friends who are on the 17-day diet who would like to share tips, recipes, and generally lend support when times get rough and I'm feeling like closing the blinds and curling up with a bag of Dove promises.

I'm on Day 1 of Cycle 1 and I'd welcome anyone who is anywhere on the program!

Replies

• Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    I'm on day 3 of cycle one. I have also had several friends who have had great success with it and it seems like it will be a perfect fit for me.

I don't have much advice, since I'm also new....
  • kb119
    kb119 Posts: 18 Member
    Hi!!! I just got the ibook for my phone… turns out it's hard to use it on a book since you can't print out or make copies of the diet plans. Anyway, I'm still going to start tomorrow or the next day. Will take a bit of prep work. Want to motivate each other? If so, add me! :)

Also, the first phase seems a bit confusing. The sample diet lists fruits as snacks, but you can only eat the yogurts and fruits before 2pm, right? I didn't think it was explained that well. Let me know your thoughts!

Have a good one! And hopefully losing some weight in the next 17 days and 17 days after that.
  • ffza
    ffza Posts: 3
    hey im on day 1 cycle 1 as well. i hope i keep up to this plan. the key for me is to push myself harder. we're in this together. :)
  • I did the diet last year and lost 22lbs. Gained 10 back over the holiday so back to this week. C1D3 :)
  • You can only eat carbs and fruit before 2:00pm. Yogurt you can have whenever.
  • My advice would be to plan, plan, plan. It helps so much. I also have a blog with a lot of recipes. betterversionofme-tracie.blogspot.com/search/label/The%2017%20Day%20Diet

The television show The Doctors also has a forum with a lot of recipes and there is a Facebook page. I have numerous family members that have lost weight on it.
  • skeletoncrew
    skeletoncrew Posts: 3 Member
    Hello ladies,

I started 17 day diet on the 3 January and after a week I lost 4 lb. First week was really difficult especially since I started PMS'ing over the weekend. :frown: However, I did not want to move to modified PMS diet that's in the book as there's no way in hell that I could stop at one square of dark chocolate. :laugh: So, that weekend I did cheat. My sin was munching on almonds (I counted 25, twice, so 50). Way better than moving on to oatmeal and chocolate. :smile: I"m half way through the 2nd week and I'm doing great. Planning your meals in advance is crucial and I bookmarked recipes page from The Doctors forum for easy access. My goal is to lose this extra weight permanently as I'm hitting 40 this year. I want to turn this dieting into my way of eating as limiting the carbs is the only thing that works for me. Good luck!
  • themrsbriggs
    themrsbriggs Posts: 151 Member
    what is the 17 day diet??
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    That's what I want to know!
  • rjlock29
    rjlock29 Posts: 29 Member
    I started the 17 Day Diet in April 2011. I have lost 44 pounds and love this diet. Finally I have found a way that I can eat for life. The 1st cycle is the hardest. You are basically breaking a carb addiction. All I can say is stick to it, it will be worth it! And remember, you can eat as many vegetable and as much protein from the list as you want/need. Sometimes I would eat 2 chicken breasts at dinner!
    It gets so much better in the other cycles. In Cycle 2 make Mikes Power cookies. They are very yummy.
    Planning is key and ALWAYS have your fruit and yogurt handy. When I started I could not eat plain greek yogurt, so I ate the fruit flavored greek yogurt. I am now eating the plain too and I actually love it. GOOD LUCK!
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Probiotics contain carbohydrates; they should be eaten before 2 p.m. (on the 17DD) to provide you with enough energy for the day (and to also burn off before rest so that they are not stored as fat).

SW: 153. GW: 130. CW: 137.
    2944810.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Any diet that puts weird restrictions on when you can eat food is probably not a good idea. Carbs do not get stored as fat if they are eaten after a specific time, they are stored as fat if you eat over your total maintenance calories for the day. All diets work for the same reason, they cause you to eat less calories than you burn, it's that simple.
  • aash28
    Any diet that puts weird restrictions on when you can eat food is probably not a good idea. Carbs do not get stored as fat if they are eaten after a specific time, they are stored as fat if you eat over your total maintenance calories for the day. All diets work for the same reason, they cause you to eat less calories than you burn, it's that simple.

Your body burns carbs. for energy before it will burn stored fat; that is the logic/science behind the initial restriction. After your optimal burn (for the first 34 days), there is absolutely no time restriction for carbs. I have eaten 1,200 calories for the last two weeks. I was stuck at 143. I ate one day of the recommended foods for Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet and lost 1.8 lbs. Natural foods are far easier for your body to breakdown than something that is made in a labratory. This is why drinking Diet soda is ultimately just as bad for you as having the calorie-laden regular soda.
    Check out the 17 Day Diet. It's not really a diet; it's like a lesson plan for learning how to eat foods that are good for all of you, not just your taste buds.
    I was very skeptical until I read the book. It's actually the first "diet" I've ever read that makes sense. : )
  • leannderstm
    leannderstm Posts: 1 Member
    i have been doing the 17 day diet off and on for the last year. i never advanced to the second cycle, but i lost 50 pounds. i figured i have a lot to lose, so i'll stay on cycle one until i lose another 50. i would do the diet, but then if i had big plans for a weekend, i would eat what i wanted, and just go back on the diet when the activity was done. seemed to work ok. also, i eat the yogurt and fruit whenever i want and have no problems.

i fell off the wagon when i had my gallbladder removed, and then with vacations and holidays. but i'm back on it for the new year since i am now only down 40 pounds.

for ease of shopping and preperation, i eat the same thing everyday. the repetition doesn't bother me, and it makes life a lot easier.
  • ld like to know what the 17 day diet is like, if you dont mind sharing some info??

Thanks

Melissa
  • aash28
    i have been doing the 17 day diet off and on for the last year. i never advanced to the second cycle, but i lost 50 pounds. i figured i have a lot to lose, so i'll stay on cycle one until i lose another 50. i would do the diet, but then if i had big plans for a weekend, i would eat what i wanted, and just go back on the diet when the activity was done. seemed to work ok. also, i eat the yogurt and fruit whenever i want and have no problems.

i fell off the wagon when i had my gallbladder removed, and then with vacations and holidays. but i'm back on it for the new year since i am now only down 40 pounds.

for ease of shopping and preperation, i eat the same thing everyday. the repetition doesn't bother me, and it makes life a lot easier.

Congratulations on your success. Yes, to each their own about the timing of the carbs. I'm just doing mine before two because that's what Dr. Moreno said to do in the book. I'm trying to follow it perfectly, because I want to see just how well this whole thing works!
    I also eat basically the same thing every day. Everyone handles that differently, but for me, I crave foods less when I don't have a variety. I'm sure that would make some people miserable but hey, we have to find what works for us as individuals so that we stay committed! Again, congratulations on your loss! Keep up the great work! : )

P.S. I'm editing this to tell @Melissa that I will send her a message with an overview of this eating plan!
    P.P.S. I'm editing this again to let anyone know that they can message me and I can send them a detailed and verbose message about the plan! I love it!
  • I agree what is the 17 day diet?????
  • Missy63
    Missy63 Posts: 14
    Me too, any one interested in sharing with us?
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Bump
  • Missy63
    Missy63 Posts: 14
    Can you send me the same info, please?