17-day diet support

Options

Replies

• ImaLadyBiker
    Options
    I started the 17 Day Diet, based on the book by Dr Michael Moreno of the same name, on 1/16/11. In September, I reached my goal weight of 150#. I thought my starting weight was 231, but my doctor informed me it was significantly more and actually 242. So, I have lost 92#.

I recommend buying the book, because it has all the details in it, and face it, the Doc came up with it and he should benefit by the book sales. I did loan out my book a couple of different times, but I try to keep it close by for reference.

It's a whole-body approach to eating, so it's more of a life plan than a diet. Simple carbs convert quickly to sugar, and many of us have sensitivity to sugars. Sugarless things often have chemicals added for sweetness, and studies show that diet soda causes inflammation of the intestinal tract. 17 Day Diet touts real foods, healthy fats, and recommends stopping the unhealthy habits (late night eating, for one) that got us here to begin with. Dr. Moreno recommends not getting too hungry, because it causes us to make poor food choices. He covers shift workers' needs, ethnic food concerns, PMS issues....

I love this plan, and so does my doctor. It brought my LDL from off the chart high to off the chart low (that's the bad cholesterol.) My HDL is off the chart high. My triglycerides are down. If you're on Facebook, there is a support group (look for the one "feet on a scale" avatar.) They have recipes and support, started by someone who went on the show, The Doctors, to do this diet on TV. She has Dr Moreno's blessing and only makes money if you buy something, which isn't required.

I'm just a regular person. I'm not affiliated with this book, other than I saw Dr. Moreno on Dr. Phil and decided to buy the book. My weight loss has changed my life.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Any diet that puts weird restrictions on when you can eat food is probably not a good idea. Carbs do not get stored as fat if they are eaten after a specific time, they are stored as fat if you eat over your total maintenance calories for the day. All diets work for the same reason, they cause you to eat less calories than you burn, it's that simple.

Your body burns carbs. for energy before it will burn stored fat; that is the logic/science behind the initial restriction. After your optimal burn (for the first 34 days), there is absolutely no time restriction for carbs. I have eaten 1,200 calories for the last two weeks. I was stuck at 143. I ate one day of the recommended foods for Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet and lost 1.8 lbs. Natural foods are far easier for your body to breakdown than something that is made in a labratory. This is why drinking Diet soda is ultimately just as bad for you as having the calorie-laden regular soda.
    Check out the 17 Day Diet. It's not really a diet; it's like a lesson plan for learning how to eat foods that are good for all of you, not just your taste buds.
    I was very skeptical until I read the book. It's actually the first "diet" I've ever read that makes sense. : )

Just because you restrict carbs doesn't mean you burn fat automatically. In the absence of carbs, your body starts gluconeogenesis, which converts protein into glucose, basically turning protein and fat that you eat into carbs, and then burning them just like you ate carbs. Now when you eat carbs, they are stored in your muscles as glycogen, and glycogen needs a lot of water for storage. When the body converts protein and fat you eat into glucose through gluconeogenesis, it doesn't store as much glycogen, hence, when you restrict carbs, you lose water weight.

Like I said, losing fat is all about calorie deficit, when you eat fewer calories than your body needs to function, it burns fat to make up the difference. As long as you have food being digested in your system, of any type, you aren't burning fat.
  • alleeeey
    alleeeey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 7 of cycle 1 and I could really use some recipes and tips as well. I've lost like 7 pounds already:)
  • TracieDS
    Options
    It is a book.
  • TracieDS
    Options
    I have found recipes on The Doctors TV show's website, Facebook, and I have made some of my own (they are on my blog betterversionofme-tracie.blogspot.com/search/label/The%2017%20Day%20Diet
  • perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What is this 17 day diet all about? Please send me the link!!:happy:
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I am C2 D1. In the first cycle I lost nearly 10lbs. Thats in 17 days. I love 17 day diet and given the book as a christmas gift. I had been working on my weight before this diet and had platued. This diet helped me break this and I love the recipes and options.
    I recommend it highly.:heart:
  • perpetuallyfit
    Options
    ld like to know what the 17 day diet is like, if you dont mind sharing some info??

Thanks

Melissa
  • perpetuallyfit
    Options
    That's what I'd like to know..Peeps could you tell us more about this diet??
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    That's what I'd like to know..Peeps could you tell us more about this diet??

There are you tube videos on this diet. I have never done it but watched videos where people explain the steps and their progress.
  • Anewmein2014
    Anewmein2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I first tried the 17 day diet a few months ago, I didnt realize that I could eat more than what I was eating, with veggies. I did lose like 4-5 lbs during the first few days. But since I was getting headaches and shakes I stopped. I was talking with a co-worker and she told me that I could eat way more than what I was eating at that time. I started back on it this week and I actually ate more, like between 1300-1550 calories a day. It hasn't been a full week and I kind of cheated a little since it was my bday so I am going to weigh myself. But I can say that I felt better this time around, fuller, more satisfied, not one headache or shakes. I will start this week off ot a great start and hopefully not too many distractions, only a family brunch on sunday, but then to I can really be strict with what I want to eat and all! I am happy with the 17 day diet plan!

Motivated182
  • mrsjuarez270
    Options
    I am on day 6 and am down 7 lbs. I did this diet before and lost 24 lbs. This time around I seem to be a lot more relaxed with the food list and have became very inventive with the allowed foods. I do however modify the diet some to fit my personal calorie needs and am still losing weight, I just stay away from the carbs and soda. I also substitute the greek yogurt for light/fat free flavored yogurt because I could not get use to the taste of the other. Good luck and much sucess to you all.
  • Yfalcon
    Yfalcon Posts: 20
    Options
    I started the 17 day diet after Thanks Giving last year Im currently in cycle 4..so far I lost 13 pounds. I could of lost more but I cheated once in a while. I reach my goal weight and now want to lose 10 more pounds. So after cycle 4 Im going to start cycle 1 again since thats the cycle you lose more weight. Im so happy I started this diet. I love this diet! Well Im not going to called it a diet is just a different lifestyle. I got used to eating healthy now and driking my 8 cups of water :) Love it!
  • Yfalcon
    Yfalcon Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi! Im currently doing the 17 day diet, Im on cycle 4. You can have yogurt anytime in the day. Now for fruit anytime before 2pm
  • RedHatPatti
    RedHatPatti Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    HERE IS A LINK FROM WEB MD WITH A GOOD EXPLANATION OF WHAT THE 17 DFAY DIET IS ALL ABOUT FOR THOSE WHO ARE ASKING: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/17-day-diet-review -- You can order a book by Dr. Moreno also from Amazon.com.

I have the book and will be starting it this week also. So I will be joining in also!! Thanks for starting this topic.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am 17DD-er!!! :-D C2D7 - I LOVE it!!! Feel free to add me we can all use the support! :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Any diet that puts weird restrictions on when you can eat food is probably not a good idea. Carbs do not get stored as fat if they are eaten after a specific time, they are stored as fat if you eat over your total maintenance calories for the day. All diets work for the same reason, they cause you to eat less calories than you burn, it's that simple.

Your body burns carbs. for energy before it will burn stored fat; that is the logic/science behind the initial restriction. After your optimal burn (for the first 34 days), there is absolutely no time restriction for carbs. I have eaten 1,200 calories for the last two weeks. I was stuck at 143. I ate one day of the recommended foods for Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet and lost 1.8 lbs. Natural foods are far easier for your body to breakdown than something that is made in a labratory. This is why drinking Diet soda is ultimately just as bad for you as having the calorie-laden regular soda.
    Check out the 17 Day Diet. It's not really a diet; it's like a lesson plan for learning how to eat foods that are good for all of you, not just your taste buds.
    I was very skeptical until I read the book. It's actually the first "diet" I've ever read that makes sense. : )

Just because you restrict carbs doesn't mean you burn fat automatically. In the absence of carbs, your body starts gluconeogenesis, which converts protein into glucose, basically turning protein and fat that you eat into carbs, and then burning them just like you ate carbs. Now when you eat carbs, they are stored in your muscles as glycogen, and glycogen needs a lot of water for storage. When the body converts protein and fat you eat into glucose through gluconeogenesis, it doesn't store as much glycogen, hence, when you restrict carbs, you lose water weight.

Like I said, losing fat is all about calorie deficit, when you eat fewer calories than your body needs to function, it burns fat to make up the difference. As long as you have food being digested in your system, of any type, you aren't burning fat.

Ah! Thank you Tigersword!

See, the principles behind the 17 days diet are not bad: you restrict carbs, eat ''clean'' and avoid processed food. It's good for everyone, no need to call it a ''diet''. What I don't like about it is the misinformation spread. Thinking that ''if you eat carbs after 2pm they will be stored as fat'' is the kind of crap to avoid spreading.
    If you follow the ''diet'', at least know the truth behind it.
  • lo89ol
    lo89ol Posts: 59
    Options
    Hi everyone!! i just started the diet today and am wondering if i am really cut out for it...the first breakfast of just 2 egg whites and half a grapefruit has left me feeling deprived lol...would anyone mind sharing their experiences? are you full on this diet or will the starving feeling continue??

i know that this can be successful as i have read so many great stories...but i have committment issues when it comes to sticking to a diet so any advice is welcomed
  • ImaLadyBiker
    Options
    Eat until you are full. Not stuffed, but whatever it takes to get full. Dr Moreno talks about our "fullness meter." Many of us, myself included, had lost touch with what true hunger is. I ate because the clock told me to, or because someone put it in front of me, or because I was bored, but RARELY did I ever allow myself to get to the point where I was truly hungry. Once I got back in touch with that, I realized what Dr Moreno said, and that there is a danger in getting TOO hungry. We'll chew the legs off a table if we get TOO hungry!! LOL!

lo89ol, there is no reason to eat just the egg whites, unless that's what you like. On Cycle 1, the main focus is cleaning up our system. We eat lean proteins, cleansing vegetables, 2 servings of lower-sugar fruits, and two servings of probiotics. I ate two to three whole eggs a day on Cycle 1. The current wisdom is that eggs are almost a perfect source of protein. With the veggies and lean protein, it is NOT portion control, but appetite suppressing.

I did not enter my food into MFP until after I got past Cycle 1. When carbs (oatmeal, some nuts, brown rice) are added back, that's when portion control becomes more critical. I began measuring rice right out of the rice cooker, because I didn't trust myself to correctly ballpark servings.

I love the 17DD, but I realize that not everyone wants something that begins very restrictive. I was almost 100 pounds overweight and very sedentary, so I knew I had to take some drastic measures to get well. It gave me immediate results that gave me HOPE that maybe I didn't have to be trapped in my size 22/24 body anymore.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I'm curious about this "diet". Does each cycle last 17 days, with the exception of the fourth? I understand that it requires keeping a food/exercise diary. Is it beneficial to still monitor caloric intake while following the phases? Right now, I've lost 14 lbs in less than three weeks simply by monitoring calories and exercising 3-4 times a week. I've been eating smaller amounts of food, but eating more frequently. I've been eating three meals and at snacking at least three times a day. I'm all for breaking the addiction to processed foods and sugar, a cleanse, so to speak.