World of Warcraft ruined my life!

Options
Hello.
I signed up for this site a little under a year ago. I was at 160lbs (i'm 5'1)
I also joined nutrisystem for a month, and the diet/exercise or lack there of, didn't go anywhere, so i gave up.

I got encouraged by my boss' boss who lost almost 100 lbs, one of my co-workers who originally introduced me to this site, and one of my World of Warcraft friends.

They're all on diets with amazing results.

So i decided to get up off my butt and start dieting.

I've been playing World of Warcraft for years now and it really kept me from physical activities and lack of motivation, and of course..... EATING. I mean who doesn't sit at their computer desk and NOT think about eating!

Anyways, i'm trying to get back on track.

When my mom and i decided to start this diet, i bought some healthy food, and of course.... an evil scale.

I take the scale out of the box, put the battery in, and step on it to only depress myself even more.

I had gained 40 lbs in a year.

Scale reading: 199.6 lbs.

Now i am completely motivated with help from my co-workers and friends and family. I am shooting to lose 1 1/2 lbs per week for a total of 80lbs.

Any other females have problems with computer games or console games?!

Replies

• vballscriscuolo
    vballscriscuolo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh my god yes!!! Ironically, it started with WOW.......now it's evolved to Zelda and Wii.......not a good mix!!! Add me if you'd like!! I'm always looking for new friends!! We could probably help each other to "shed" the video games haha!!
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My husband plays WOW and it almost ruined our marriage. He still plays but not as much. He literally did nothing but go to work come home and play on that game all the time.... Now he is on My Fitness Pal in prep for our Jamaica vacation in 62 days :smile:
  • athenashavoc
    Options
    Most definitely.

Current games:
    Mass Effect 2 - 3 is coming out soon, so I'm playing again
    Sims 3 - this has been my on and off thing since it came out in 2000
    Skyrim - if you know what it is, I don't need to explain. If you don't know what it is, I can't explain.

But I think giving it up completely would be about as smart as giving up food completely. Gaming makes me happy. It's what my boyfriend and I do for fun. If things go as planned, it will provide us some income.

I think the answer, as it is with nearly everything else in life, is moderation and balance. Of course, it's hardest part. :wink:

Maybe we should have a group here to help encourage us to do some exercise or other physical activity before we head into that next dungeon, or cave, or next level? :laugh:
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a problem, per se... but I have been sucked into many a game. I tend to go with console games that have a definitive ending, but I do also play a browser game called Ikariam (Empire building. The world will be mine!).

I try to view my weight loss as a LARP. It makes it more interesting, but one time I completely freaked myself out by pretending there was a zombie horde chasing me when I was out for a run. Made it back to the house very quickly, but I was way over my max heart rate.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Current games:
    Skyrim - if you know what it is, I don't need to explain. If you don't know what it is, I can't explain.

If you don't know what Skyrim is....Good stay away! It will ruin you haha. Mass effect, Skyrim, Zelda and Battlefield are the bane of my existance when it comes to games!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Haha i love this, 2 lvl 85 druids, and a 85 DK, number 4 raiding guild on my server, raid leader, raid tank, raid healer, etc etc. Gave it up and now I'm addicted to things girls find impressive, turns out girls don't care more many tabbards and mounts you have.

265 bench
    315 squat
    405 dead-lift
    5.11c rock climb
    5.10a lead climb
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Though i did just finish playing ME2 cause i loved the story line and play style of ME1. Just don't tell anyone (:
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Most definitely.

Current games:

OMG - my hubby and I only discovered Skyrim a month or so ago. We rented it (after some friends talked about it) from Redbox and all I can say is thank goodness we have kids! Otherwise, we would have probably played it non-stop for the entire week we had it. SOOOO addictive.

But, to OP, I haven't ever played WOW, but I know how absolutely addictive games can be. I truly have to mentally limit myself and game playing...not just for my own good, but for those around me as well. Cheers to shedding the weight, and at least cutting back on the game addiction!
  • ElizaBethyAnn
    Options
    haha. my husband and i play wow all the time. I actually just got done playing it.... lol
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted by Star Wars The Old Republic, but i've only just got over my WoW addiction :p
  • dwnlynn
    dwnlynn Posts: 47
    Options
    WOW is (was) one of the reason I gained alot of my weight! My hubby and I have played since 2005 and just last summer given it up. So many night coming home from work ordering out dinner and playing WOW.

I finally cancelled our accounts in November. But now I'm sad to say I just bought us SWTOR. Played for a few days like I did with WOW but stopped that really quick. Now if I have time to play I jump on but it is after work, house chores, dinner and my workout is complete.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I know what you mean. I've never been a hardcore player and I still play WoW and Sims 3 pretty much daily but I try not to let it distract me from working out, meeting friends, etc. I don't think that was my main problem, though. The biggest one was that while I was playing, even if that was just for half an hour, I'd get so distracted that I would munch junk food on the side. If I can stop that, I'll be good.

Anyway...I think it's fantastic that you made the decision to change things! Go you!
  • ncaselius
    ncaselius Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wasted 5 years of my life on that game!! I am a former US Marine and used to be very active until my husband introduced me to "gaming".
    I quit WoW in October of 2010 and haven't looked back. (that was also the month I stopped smoking!) Now it's 2012 and I've had over a year to put my financial life and career back on track. This year is for my health.
    I'm sick of being over 250 pounds :(

Good luck to you!
  • christya24
    Options
    Haha i love this, 2 lvl 85 druids, and a 85 DK, number 4 raiding guild on my server, raid leader, raid tank, raid healer, etc etc. Gave it up and now I'm addicted to things girls find impressive, turns out girls don't care more many tabbards and mounts you have.

265 bench
    315 squat
    405 dead-lift
    5.11c rock climb
    5.10a lead climb

LOL. i have 2 accounts at the moment, 10 85's on one account and 3 85's on the second. I have been playing since vanilla and god am i addicted.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    My vice was Aion for about two years. While it didn't cause all of the weight, it definitely added a few more on.

I'm currently waiting for The Secret World and GW2, but until then, it's diet time!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

265 bench
    315 squat
    405 dead-lift
    5.11c rock climb
    5.10a lead climb

hate to break it to you but most girls have no idea what those numbers mean (or heck what a deadlift even is) so that's not gonna get you very far with most of them. Try being rich instead. Very effective.

But I'm impressed if that helps.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I didn't even answer the OPs question:

Nope, I ruined my life. Wow just gave me something to do while I was ruining it.

Don't worry you can still play video games and lose weight. *points to ticker*

you just have to learn to give up some video game time to exercise and stop eating while you play. Eat when its time to eat or you are hungry. Otherwise no sitting there leveling with a bag of trader joes peanut butter preztels all day on Sat.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted by Star Wars The Old Republic, but i've only just got over my WoW addiction :p

Most of my will power is being used up to not buy star wars...
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    World of Warcraft did nothing - YOU did it.
    We all did in one way or another.

If not that, then it would have been something else. So, now you are the author of the next chapter of your life.
    And it's time to write out something wonderful.

You can do this!

All Is Possible.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I played WoW myself, but only kept it to late nights, weekends and a few hours at max. I now play SWTOR and same deal... in moderation.

I work at computer all day long so it's hard for me to come home and dedicate more time to sitting in front of it. At home though, I sit on my stability ball so it's not terrible..