World of Warcraft ruined my life!

Options

Replies

• cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Im a gamer chick. Games do not make you fat, you make you fat. Take responsibility for yourself and get your *kitten* off the seat.
    You can't blame a game for your lack of self control. What are you going to do, sue Blizzard for for the cost of your medical bills? Really... Take personal responsibility and get your butt on a treadmill like I did...

^^^:laugh: THIS!!!:laugh: ^^^

Of course he should take responsibility... which is what the OP already mentioned in his post!!

So i decided to get up off my butt and start dieting.

Another example of someone who judged a thread based on the title alone... read it through next time.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... my husband just started playing WoW... should I be concerned?? Seems like there's a few out there that say the game ruined their marriage and/or their life. What's up with that? Does WoW suck you in so much that you lose passion for your spouse or the ability to turn off the computer and communicate?? Does it brainwash people into getting divorces??

Yup.
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think of computer games like smoking, drugs, etc: They are highly addictive and there is no benefit from them. They just waste your life. I guess that's why I wouldn't even start.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I played WoW for a few years. My advice is to quit. All those hours upon hours you will spend raiding and sitting around playing you could better dedicate to healthier eating and getting out and enjoying exercise.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    FOR THE ALLIANCE!

Nope, I just play with my hubby once in awhile, I have an 82 night elf prot warrior. I get too antsy to sit for too long. Have you ever considered building a little desk on a stationary bike or treadmill so you can play and exercise? I just jerry-rigged one to my stationary bike and I can facebook and exercise. The time FLIES! I guess instead of being addicted to computer games, I'm addicted to social media!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I recently quit WoW because I basically hated Cataclysm...Half *kitten* expansion & I refuse to buy the next one...Pandas....Really...It did make me pretty lazy, when I played. Lol.
  • BlowYourMind
    Options
    Eh, it's all about balance, IMO. :glasses:
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I'm here because MAKING games made me fat, ha. Well, rather, I let myself get fat while making games. Crazy, crazy overtime hours + lots of free junk food + very little sleep = weight gain! Luckily, I'm with a much more chill company now and can focus on myself again (and I'm down 50 lb since my peak in 2007). I've done my time, dammit.
    And also, prepping for Mass Effect 3... but cutting a long story short I migrated my xbox 360 to the elite a while back and lost all game saves... including ME1 & 2... so somewhere in all this I'm going to be pushing through those before ME3's march release :P
    That sucks, but if you want to save time, check out the Bioware community forums for save file editors and you can closely recreate the old ones.
    Hmmm... my husband just started playing WoW... should I be concerned?? Seems like there's a few out there that say the game ruined their marriage and/or their life. What's up with that? Does WoW suck you in so much that you lose passion for your spouse or the ability to turn off the computer and communicate?? Does it brainwash people into getting divorces?? Geez... I might need to throw this game in the trash while hubby's at work!! :noway:

WoW doesn't ruin lives. It is designed to be compelling, and it can suck up a lot of time, but most people who play it will be fine. A small percentage of users do get addicted, but that's more to do with a variety of factors, not the game itself. I was addicted for about six months before and shortly after it launched, because my home life was crap and I was desperately seeking to escape reality. I've since gone back a few times and played it like any other normal videogame without feeling addicted at all. It totally depends on the person.
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    FFXI here. Hubby is addicted, I play occasionally, though not as much since committing myself to MFP back in November. Our relationship has its ups and downs due to his gaming, but we talk it out and get through it. His obesity is definetly due to his gaming though, mine was more overall laziness! lol. Hoping he sees my good results and joins suit, I know from my own experience that I can't make him lose the weight, when he wants it, he'll do it.

Anyway, I think it's doable to be a gamer, and be healthy but you really gotta be in control of your life, just like anything else, it's a balancing act.

Edit: missed some letters lol
  • Ashlea82
    Ashlea82 Posts: 191
    Options
    Lol I'm sorry but World of War craft didn't ruin your life/make you gain weight/ruin your marriage etc etc
    You/your partner did
    you cant blame a game for any of those things
    you can blame your self/your partner for lacking of control
    there's nothing wrong with playing computer games
    as long as you do it within reason.. still getting out there working out and eating properly
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    OK, I have to say, it's the person's choices, not the game, that is the problem.

I am a mother of 4. I am a full time student, with a cumulative GPA of 3.88. I play in a community orchestra. I write for fun. My house is not perfect, but it is tidy - we have clean clothes to wear and clean dishes to eat off of and food to eat. I work out 5-6 days a week. I also play WoW, I have 4 85's and a bunch of other characters. It's just one of my many activities.

Yes, video games present new problems that we hadn't seen in days before. Yes, there are many people who can go way overboard and make a video game their life. But it's still each person's choice of what to do with it.
  • happyhiram
    Options
    Hello.
    I signed up for this site a little under a year ago. I was at 160lbs (i'm 5'1)
    I also joined nutrisystem for a month, and the diet/exercise or lack there of, didn't go anywhere, so i gave up.

I got encouraged by my boss' boss who lost almost 100 lbs, one of my co-workers who originally introduced me to this site, and one of my World of Warcraft friends.

They're all on diets with amazing results.

So i decided to get up off my butt and start dieting.

I've been playing World of Warcraft for years now and it really kept me from physical activities and lack of motivation, and of course..... EATING. I mean who doesn't sit at their computer desk and NOT think about eating!

Anyways, i'm trying to get back on track.

When my mom and i decided to start this diet, i bought some healthy food, and of course.... an evil scale.

I take the scale out of the box, put the battery in, and step on it to only depress myself even more.

I had gained 40 lbs in a year.

Scale reading: 199.6 lbs.

Now i am completely motivated with help from my co-workers and friends and family. I am shooting to lose 1 1/2 lbs per week for a total of 80lbs.

Any other females have problems with computer games or console games?!

I'm sorry but don't blame WoW for the fact that you didn't get exercise. It was your own decision to play--not the games. I'm VERY happy that you've decided to do something but please understand that ultimately it was up to YOU.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    WOW was definitely a catalyst for my last round of weight gain. I was immersed in WOW for what seemed like forever. First it was leveling with my husband and friends, then grinding and playing the auction house, and finally...raiding. Thankfully, Blizzard released Cata and I completely fell out of love with the game.

I'm a recovering addict, hahaha. I've decided to not even consider MoP, SWTOR or GW2, but dammit, if Secret World isn't looking mighty enticing....lmao! Regardless of whether I ever play another MMO, I will definitely not go back to the hermit in the computer room who hasn't seen the sun for days.
  • lolollama
    Options
    I played wow for 4 years and have just recently stopped playing.. I found that I actually lost more weight when I was playing because I was so focussed on the game I didn't want to snack! I am really struggling now with snacking at night! I need to find a new game I think!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I LOVE video games, but I don't let them run my life. I have a lot of workout games on the Wii that I really enjoy (DDR, anyone?), and if I'm playing Zelda, I'll use my desk pedal at the same time. Doesn't burn a lot, but it's something.
  • Nyki80
    Nyki80 Posts: 1
    Options
    My game wasn't WOW though most my friends in Mobsters on myspace did play WOW... After 3 1/2 years I woke up and realized I had gained 35 LB in less then a year.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I played wow for 4 years and have just recently stopped playing.. I found that I actually lost more weight when I was playing because I was so focussed on the game I didn't want to snack! I am really struggling now with snacking at night! I need to find a new game I think!

I really, really dislike you...just kidding! But you are soooo like my husband, lol! He plays and completely forgets to eat. I play and completely mow through everything. The dogs even get scared and leave the room!!
  • slimmerme2012
    Options
    I can relate. My husband played it from 2005 until summer of 2011. He was a stick when we first met and well um..now hes not. Im also a computer game addict (well used to be) and it also made me gain lots of weight...I lost it all thankfully..but yeah WoW is a game that I suggest nobody plays b/c of its addictiveness.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Ok so, I play WoW... maybe not as much as I used to but I do still play. I used to blame wow for my weight gain but I have figured it out... I, ME, MYSELF is the problem.. not World of Warcraft. I am the one that sat down and didn't get up. Now I have learned moderation is with everything!!! Even WoW... remember even the game tells you to get up and go outside!

Oh and hey all you others out there that play still ... feel free to add me! That would be fun!!
  • MrFatLegs
    MrFatLegs Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    lol @ this thread. reminds me of the south park episode