Why you should eat your exercise calories

Options

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Makes sense to me and why would you complain about eating more if you've burned it off.
    I guess it's the fear we all have about gaining.

Have you read any of his books? It looks like he knows what he's talking about.

I have read 3 of them :D Constantly reading his articles and case study reviews too
    Options
    Eating back you kcals is great for the under 50lbs to go crowd, but if you are like me needing to loose 175lbs every calorie burned up is a step closer and faster. That said, i eat at slightly under my daily goal and only eat exercise if i am really hungry and normally only half of my exercise kcals.

I agree with you there. There are always different situations where it may not apply.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    this is all really interesting, and could be my problem. I've been doing an hour exercise a day and only eating 1200 kcals a day on average and seen no progress; i even came off the pill in case that was having an effect.

I'm still not entirely sure how many kcals i should aim for, sorry i'm a bit of a thicko with technical stuff like this. So we're saying eat BACK what you've exercised, on top of what? The recommended amount i should be eating or...? (5 ft1 and 132lbs)

I am 5'4", down to 132 lbs now, my calorie goal is set at 1390 per day for a 1/2 lb loss per week, and I eat my exercise calories. I have eaten them pretty consistently throughout my weightloss, and I have pretty consistently lost weight at at least the rate I requested from MFP - sometimes slightly faster. I also have not stalled in weightloss for longer than 1 week, which I attributed to water retention from starting a new workout and not taking breaks. So the whole 'eat your exercise calories' thing has worked very well for me. I will also say that I have a HRM that estimates my calories burned during exercise, they are not perfect but I feel they are probably more accurate than MFP estimates so I go ahead and eat those cal's if I want them (which is most of the time LOL). I routinely burn anywhere from 200-700 per day in exercise, just depending on how long I want to workout that day, it seems most days I end up eating around 1800-ish but I do try to go higher on the days that I burn significantly more. I was scared of bumping up from my original 1200 goal, too, but it has worked beautifully for me. Just my personal experience, but thought it might help. :-)

Also - the *reason* that I mainly eat them back is that I had read on here multiple times that losing weight at a rate faster than is ideal for the amount of weight you have left to lose can cause you to lose a larger amount of muscle mass than if you lose at a more moderate pace, so I eat my calories so I can stick to the rate I set here on MFP (currently 1/2 lb per week, previously 1 lb per week, and before that 2 lb per week) b/c I don't want to sacrifice more muscle than necessary. So it also does depend on your goals and whether that is a consideration for you.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gregthegroove
    Options
    I posted this a while ago, but I have been seeing more and more new members asking whether or not they should be eating them back.

Short answer: YES!

Here is why: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

MFP has already created a deficit for you. When you don't eat your exercise calories back you are creating an even larger deficit which can cause you to stop losing. I strongly suggest you to read the link I provided for details!

There is some truth to this, however the MOST that MFP will deficit you for is 2lbs per week. So if someone wants to lose more than that, eating back all of your excersie calories is not applicable to them. I personally don't eat any of them back. If I would have to, I would maybe eat 300 or so calories back if I were hungrier than normal. If a person isnt hungry to begin with, there is no need for them to eat anything back. Just my two cents.
  • Jenniriggins
    Jenniriggins Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I never specified whether I wanted MFP to give me a deficit or not. I was wondering if it automatically does? I'm at 1200 calories and I do eat some of the extra "exercise calories".
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I never specified whether I wanted MFP to give me a deficit or not. I was wondering if it automatically does? I'm at 1200 calories and I do eat some of the extra "exercise calories".

If you tell MFP you want to maintain your weight, it gives you a calorie goal designed to help you stay where you are. If you tell it you want to gain weight, it gives you a calorie goal higher than your maintenance requirement to help you gain. If you tell it you want to lose weight, it subtracts a certain amount of calories from your calculated maintenance requirement to put your goal at an automatic deficit. If you told it you want to lose 1/2 lb per week, it automatically subtracted 250 from your maintenance. If you said 1 lb per week, it subtracted 500. If you said 2 lbs per week, it tried to subtract 1000 but if you maintenance calorie needs are 2200 or lower, you would automatically get the 1200 calorie goal even if it means you'd lose LESS than 2 lbs per week, b/c MFP's system will not suggest a number lower than 1200 no matter how much weight you want to lose or how fast you want to lose it - reason being they believe it to be difficult to get in adequate nutrition on a level lower than 1200.

Anyway YES, the deficit is already built in based on the information you gave MFP when you created your profile. If you want to see what you exact deficit really is, click on 'my home' and then click on 'goals' right under that - that'll bring you to a screen that gives a quick rundown of what MFP calculates that your body burns just from normal daily activities, plus it will tell you what your deficit is if you stick to 1200 calories per day and it will tell you an estimate of how much weight you might expect to lose per week if you stick to that number. Just keep in mind that while it would SEEM like this weightloss thing is strict math, it doesn't actually work that way in real life for everyone, and many find that 1200 calories works great in the beginning but in the longrun may turn out to be too little to keep your body happily losing weight for a long period of time. Especially if you are exercising intensely.
  • cmodde
    cmodde Posts: 6
    Options
    it has set a goal of 1200 calories a day for me. when speaking to someone i know they said with my age i should not be eating anything less than 1400 a day. the first week i lost 2lbs and the second week i gained .5lbs on the 1200 cal

any suggestions
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Its a good article but there's also a lot of self admitted speculation in the article. Like anything else..it works for some and not for others and no one size fits all.

Too true.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I've always heard it's important to eat your exercise calories, especially for the last 10lbs (which is exactly where I am). I generally do, but I feel my food and exercise diary doesn't always reflect it. I can't get an accurate calorie count on the machines because they default to 150lbs, which is more than I weight. So the machine says I'm burning 300, and it's close to 250. I also account for some small snacks I may not log.

I think eating exercise calories back is important though, and I generally do, or else I starve.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I eat them back, but on days like today when I work out for 4 hours and burn 1800 I feel kinda of fat having to eat 3000 calories in one day... seeing my hubby's small portion of dinner and my huge one when I'm supposed to be the one dieting lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I posted this a while ago, but I have been seeing more and more new members asking whether or not they should be eating them back.

Here is why: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

MFP has already created a deficit for you. When you don't eat your exercise calories back you are creating an even larger deficit which can cause you to stop losing. I strongly suggest you to read the link I provided for details!

The downside to this method is you kill two things, muscle mass and your metabolism. Long term results will definitely suffer for short term gains.

There is some truth to this, however the MOST that MFP will deficit you for is 2lbs per week. So if someone wants to lose more than that, eating back all of your excersie calories is not applicable to them. I personally don't eat any of them back. If I would have to, I would maybe eat 300 or so calories back if I were hungrier than normal. If a person isnt hungry to begin with, there is no need for them to eat anything back. Just my two cents.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is a good chance that your BMR is low because you have been consistently under eating which hurts LBM as noted before. And since your metabolic rate is directly calculated by the amount of LBM, the less you have the slower the metabolism. This is very apparent in long distance runners since they burn so many calories during their runs. If you want to change your metabolism though, then you need to eat more and increase lbm, which actually means eating a surplus. But in the end, it's all about what you care about. Do you care about a metabolism or weight?

My metabolism was at the same level of efficiency when I was overeating as well.

I care more body fat % which right now translates into weight.

Do you know your weight and body fat now? Also, are you trying to increase LBM and decrease BF%?

Yup of course ;) I am 220 lbs, and have 24.43% body fat as of January 1st. I'm trying to decrease BF%. My goal is to get under 20% BF.

If you want to do body recomposition you truly are.better off with a very small deficit and add in some heavy weight training. This way you dont screw your metabolism even more with the loss of lbm.
    Options
    Its a good article but there's also a lot of self admitted speculation in the article. Like anything else..it works for some and not for others and no one size fits all.

Too true.

Which is how it is with most things. It is assumed that not every person is going to be the same here. Which is why it is still good knowledge to have to understand how your body reacts to that. My friend chevy has to eat high calorie or she wont lose so she fits the article
    Options

Hunger plays an interesting role in weight loss. Hunger doesn't always determine when your body actually needs food and fuel. As lemon said, metabolism and muscle mass can suffer
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    There is a good chance that your BMR is low because you have been consistently under eating which hurts LBM as noted before. And since your metabolic rate is directly calculated by the amount of LBM, the less you have the slower the metabolism. This is very apparent in long distance runners since they burn so many calories during their runs. If you want to change your metabolism though, then you need to eat more and increase lbm, which actually means eating a surplus. But in the end, it's all about what you care about. Do you care about a metabolism or weight?

My metabolism was at the same level of efficiency when I was overeating as well.

I care more body fat % which right now translates into weight.

Do you know your weight and body fat now? Also, are you trying to increase LBM and decrease BF%?

Yup of course ;) I am 220 lbs, and have 24.43% body fat as of January 1st. I'm trying to decrease BF%. My goal is to get under 20% BF.

If you want to do body recomposition you truly are.better off with a very small deficit and add in some heavy weight training. This way you dont screw your metabolism even more with the loss of lbm.

My nutritionist and trainer have both kept me on a higher deficit program and have told me to avoid heavy weights until after I am down to about 22%. At 22% I stabilize the weight training to cardio ratio and up my calories. At 20% I do more weight training than cardio.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have a knee injury and can't exercise for the time being. I guess I don't have to worry, as of right now, about the issue in this thread. I do thank you all for the information given so I can plan for what I will need to do when I am able to exercise again.
  • jonm192
    Options
    No!

If you put your activity level into MFP, it calculates based upon that. So, it's already accounted for you going to the gym 3x a week or w/e you put. Now, you start throwing that into MFP, and i counts it double.

i.e. My maintenance while lifting weights is ~2450 calories. Again, that's already counting lifting weights. Now, if I put 45 minutes of weight lifting, and it gives me 250 calories back--and I eat that, then I've reduced my deficit.

Prolonged extreme deficits are bad, 1 day of 900 here and there isn't bad. General rule, you can sustain a deficit of 31 kcal/lb of fat.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. I didnt lose any weight until i stopped eating my exercise calories back.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    No!

If you put your activity level into MFP, it calculates based upon that. So, it's already accounted for you going to the gym 3x a week or w/e you put. Now, you start throwing that into MFP, and i counts it double.

i.e. My maintenance while lifting weights is ~2450 calories. Again, that's already counting lifting weights. Now, if I put 45 minutes of weight lifting, and it gives me 250 calories back--and I eat that, then I've reduced my deficit.

Prolonged extreme deficits are bad, 1 day of 900 here and there isn't bad. General rule, you can sustain a deficit of 31 kcal/lb of fat.
    if you actually include your exercise in your activity level, thats true. but most people dont because thats not really how the site was designed. it really wants your activity level EXCLUDING exercise, so that it can calculate your deficit and allow people to choose to exercise or not - and to eat more if they do