your birth control PILL experiences

Options
Did you gain/lose weight?

Headaches?

breast swelling?

period changes?

appetite changes?

nausea?

WHAT PILL ARE YOU TAKING? HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON IT?

Replies

• wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 10 years. I don't think my weight gain is because of the pill. No headaches, breast swelling before my period, my period is SO LIGHT (which is awesome), no changes in appetite, no nausea, lack of sex drive :(:(:(
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Been taking it on and off for 12 Years an been on my current one (Marvelon) for 5.

I think it made my proportions a bit bigger- but I don't think the pill made me gain weight- eating too much did that!

My current pill is amazing tbh I've had no side effects at all whereas other types have made me a bit moody or have bad skin.

I generally take 3 packs back to back then have a break in between. Never done me any harm- touchwood!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I actually take them to REDUCE headaches -- by reducing the hormonal variations. I take microgestin continuously, no withdrawal weeks.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Ortho-Tricyclin, took it for 4 years, tried depo provera shots for a year (they sucked) and I've been back on the ortho for the last 7.5 years and counting. I think they tried me on Ortho-tricyclin low for a year but I didn't like that either so I take the full strength version.

No weight issues that I can pinpoint from the pill (definitely gained a ton of weight on the depo shots though, which I mostly lost when I stopped getting the shots). No headaches/nausea/changes in appetite. I do get breast tenderness...most of the time it's not too bad, I usually just make sure to wear a sports bra to bed and occasionally need to put a heating pad on my chest for a while. My periods went from 12-13 days before the pill (I didn't know until I was 18 that that was unusually lengthy) to about 3 days now.
  • xonicolette
    xonicolette Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used to be on the Nuva ring and it made me gain weight and had breast swelling. When I decided to stop using it, my period went out of control and I ended up having to go back onto the pill. I currently am taking the depo provera shots, I'm not sure how it's going since I just got it about a month ago. And so far, everything has been normal for me.
  • Spruillie03
    Spruillie03 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Been on various pills for 13 years. These days I get VERY bloated, headaches for 3 days and slight cramps. But over all, it's better than when I'm OFF the pill.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 13.5 years. I started with Ortho-novum. I've been on Ortho-tricyclen, Yasmin and now Yaz. I started taking it to combat the cramps. It was horrible. Those are now gone. Actually on Yaz, I don't have a period at all because it's only a 4 day sugar pill. To be honest, I don't know how much of a role the pill played into my weight gain or if it did at all. I was on it for about 5 years before I started gaining weight. The only one I had an issue with was the Ortho-novum and it just made me crazy. I didn't feel like myself at all. When I switched to the Tricyclen it was a huge difference. My doctor switched me over to Yasmin because it has lower hormones and a diuretic and then to Yaz for the same reason to try and help with my weight loss. Hasn't helped yet.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I've been off the pill for the first time (without trying to get pregnant) since I was 16, and it's wreaking havoc on my skin! I didn't even break out this much when I was a teenager! And my periods are super crazy heavy now. But I'm reluctant to go back on it for fear of gaining weight. The only other issue I had is that if I ever forgot to take it one night and had to "double-up" the next day, it would make me excrutiatingly nauseous. I was on Ortho Novum 777 and one other one (the name escapes me), and I don't recall any difference in side effects.
  • ElenaElliottx3
    Options
    Did you gain/lose weight? gained but it wasn't from the pills but from poor eating and no exercise but the pills prob helped make the pounds stick.

Headaches? none

breast swelling? not swelling..but my breasts did get larger

period changes? my usual 5-6 days on no bc was cut down to 3 !

appetite changes? none

nausea? none

WHAT PILL ARE YOU TAKING? HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON IT? kariva, a year
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I am taking the generic version of Apri. I just started that yesterday. I don't usually get crazy side effecs from birth control actually. Some breast tenderness but that's all. I started depo 10 years ago and it was before puberty has even hit (stupid decision and not due to sexual activity). Then I went on the pill...always low dose. I was on loestrin fe and liked that so I will see what this is like.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i took ortho tri low and it didnt cause weight gain jus cudnt take it off. of course only had a period every 3 months for a couple days. nothing else changed.
    i had an iud(mirena) it caused a terrible weight gain tht wouldnt come off :/ terrible cramping and at first had spotting for 6 months then no more period.
    then switched to novum(something like tht) didnt effect weight at all but made me feel like crap and did give me headaches :/ didnt change anything else though
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    I tried Depo when I was 16 - 17 for a few years and it wa a terrible decision. I attribute it to my weight gain, my mood swings, and my loss of a sex drive. My periods were irregular. I personally think I was too young yet to be messing with my hormonal balance.

From there I went to Yaz and enjoyed it somewhat. I didn't seem to gain any additional weight. My skin was clear and my mood swings went away. My periods were also mild, predictable, and pretty short. Again though, my sex drive went incredibly down hill, and at the age of 20 and being in a serious relationship, it wasn't working.

Since I've decided to just go back to keeping track of my days and ovulation, and using a condom instead of pills. I'd rather not keep messing with my natural hormonal balance.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I was on Tri-ceclin Lo (don't know if that's remotely spelled right), I gained some weight, like 15 lbs, and on 5' 4" , that's a lot of weight. Thankfully a lot of that went to my chest, so not too many complaints. Period and such was extremely regular, could plan it almost to the hour. But I've switched now to the Depo shot, so I don't menstruate any more, haven't noticed a weight gain from this though, probably due to my choosing to loose weight the moment I went on it. It seems to be working fine for me, and I have a friend on it as well who isn't having any issues. Oh, also yes, lower sex drive and dryness, which is horrible.
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My birth control pill experience is a horror story. Bled straight for a month then developed 5 blood clots in my lungs...to be hospitalized nearly dead because one went to my heart. Later to find its because I have factor V lieden mutation and lupus....way to test my blood doc.....
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I gained weight, had a ravenous appetite, and literally had these bizarre mood swings that would make me a RAGING MONSTER and then I would go curl up on the couch crying and shaking because I was convinced the entire world was out to get me.

I have anxiety & PTSD so I'm pretty sure it exacerbated it which is the understatement of the century.

No birth control for me ever. :(
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Did you gain/lose weight?
    Not from the pill. I gained when when I was taking the pill, but that's because I was being lazy and not eating right. I don't blame the pill for that.

Headaches?
    Migraines. But I get that with any pill.

breast swelling?
    Yes.

period changes?
    Regular period. Lighter flow. Less pain.

appetite changes?
    No.

nausea?
    First week of every month I have morning sickness xD

WHAT PILL ARE YOU TAKING? HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON IT?
    Tri-Cyclen Lo and I've been on it for nearly a year.
  • kjones3535
    Options
    I just stopped taking Loseasonique. It was terrible. I had periods for weeks on end, my hair started falling out, I gained several lbs, and I had noooo sex drive. The only good thing is that it helped with my headaches. I would not recommend this to anyone.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've been on the 7/7/7 pill for some years now. As for the weight gain- I would say no, that was my own doing. My periods were regular and I didn't have any complications with it.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill years ago, no weight gain or loss but I had MAJOR PMS. Had to stop before I killed someone.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I started off taking Mercette - worst. experience. ever. Paranoia, anxiety, heavy clotting, bleeding, oily skin and hair, and gained 6 pounds. I was on that for 6 months. Then I switched to LoEstrin 1/20 Fe... and I've been on that ever since. Lost 8lbs (initially), no oily face/hair, no bloating, no PMS, very light periods (when I have them - I used to get menstrual migraines so I was taking pills continuously). Downside - I have no sex drive. I love my husband and am physically attracted to him, but I feel no desire to have sex. I've been considering going off the pill in a few months because I've not had sex in almost two months because of a lack of sex drive.

Also, my menstrual migraines stopped after I lost 20lbs. Go figure...