Earphones for running? Any advice on good ones?

Options
Hi all,
As there are so many runner enthusiasts around here, I thought I field the problem which is bugging me for a long time now:

I just cannot seem to find the perfect earphones for running.... And believe you me: I tired!

The latest one I bought after days of researching running forums. I ended up buying a Logitech Ultimate Ears 300vi.
And it's crap. Not the sound, but the fit.

My problem is: doesn't matter which earplug size I put on the thing, as soon as I start sweating they just slide out from my ears even though they also hook on my ears, so I end up keep pushing them back every 10 seconds - which is VERY irritating when you are trying to focus and not fell off the treadmill.

So my simple question is:

Can you please suggest an earphone you are happy with while running?

Some specks:
- I'm using my iPhone, so it should be able to handle calls too (having a mic on the lead)
- I like the ones plug into your ears - I cannot see myself with the big, over ear conventional headphones
- maybe it should hook around my ears for more comfort, but I'm open on that one?

Any suggestion would be very-very welcome!

Thanks MFP community!

P.s.: I'll keep you posted on the outcome for future reference.

Replies

• gordon53
    Options
    I had similar problems and through years of trial and error, have, at last, found a set which don't fall out when I'm running, are comfortable, come with adjustable ear pieces and have superb sound quality. I use them with an ipod, although they fit my iphone too. Expensive though....Bose® MIE2i Mobile headset.

I got myself a set about 6 months ago, and my daughter, who runs more than I do, including marathons, has also invested in a set. She also has found them excellent.

Hope this helps.
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I recently bought Sennheiser CX 300-II. And I totally recommend!
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    bump...I'm on this quest too!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_sport-line_504046

I love the band as it holds the buds in my ears - I have problems with normal in-ear headphones not staying in my tiny ear-holes!
  • ksbob
    ksbob Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been there. I also had problems with sweating rubbing skin of my ear. Try ear buds. They seem to work for me, I put my sons on and thought they sounded great. A $20 pair is all you need. They come with different size ear inserts to custom fit you size. I have the $300 Bose and have had the others but a $20 pair of buds seems to work just fine for excersing. If you lose them or they wear out throw them away and get another. It doesn't hurt as bad as you expensive ones going out or losing them.
  • missamielou
    Options
    Hello!

I swear by "JVC Gumy" earphones. Because they are Matt rubber they stay put when you sweat and the sound quality is ok too (I'm not too bothered about sound as long as I can hear my music and it goes loud enough). I just bought a new pair from ebay for less than £5 too! And they do them in lovely colours!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gumy+earphones&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Good luck xxx
  • zippy67
    zippy67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same problems and love these. Been using them on long runs for 2 year now.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PMX-680-Sports-Headphones/dp/B0034L3G8U/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326287815&sr=1-4
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    same issue here...everything is too big for me.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Do you talk on the phone when you run? I use a pair of ear budds by ifrogz i think they are called Ozone seem to work great for me. I do not know if they come with a mic though
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Mine are Skullcandy's and they are not inner ear buds (even those fell out and got sweaty) so mine go over the back of my ear and are very lightweight and comfortable. I got them on eBay for like $15.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Check out Jabra Sport model. They are wireless! I love not having that damn wire bouncing all over me. They sound good, hold charge well and are very comfortable. I use them with my iPhone and won't use anything else.
  • blpoz
    blpoz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I received these for Christmas and I love them (Plantronics Backbeat 903+ Bluetooth Stereo Headphones with Mic ($79.95) apple.com)
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Hello!

I swear by "JVC Gumy" earphones. Because they are Matt rubber they stay put when you sweat and the sound quality is ok too (I'm not too bothered about sound as long as I can hear my music and it goes loud enough). I just bought a new pair from ebay for less than £5 too! And they do them in lovely colours!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gumy+earphones&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Good luck xxx
    I have some JVC Gummy as well they are cheaper but they don't come out as much as some that i have had in the past i also keep a towel with me and wipe my ears out or wipe the buds and that helps as well Good Luck on your quest
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of sony bluetooth head phones and wrap around the back of your head,The quality is brillant and are compatible with the iphone as thats what i use.
    They are a little pricey i paid 60 gbp for mine but i think they are worth it :0)
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm taking notes. I need these too
  • Dean513
    Dean513 Posts: 23
    Options
    Look into yurbuds.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I use Skullcandy ear buds. I have never had them fall out, they kind of create a suction in your ear. They also block out a lot of the background noise. My pair does not have a mic attached, but I believe that there are some pairs that do come with it now.

Good luck on finding the right pair!
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Skullcandy earbuds work perfectly for me. And they're very inexpensive.
  • Momof2_Girls
    Options
    I recently bought my husband the Beats by Dr. Dre in-ear headphones. They're specially made for working out and running, and the hook keeps them in place. He works out everyday and loves them! They're also safe to use in any condition and have amazing sound.
  • Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bose® MIE2i Mobile headset. They are worth the price and if something happens to them within the year warrenty, they pretty much replace them no questions asked.