Irritating

Options
2»

Replies

• Beezer322
    Beezer322 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think that some people think weight can be a touchy subject so they just won't say anything at all, so I'm sure people are noticing!! Maybe they just don't know the right words to say?
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Some people are afraid of commenting on other people's bodies, as a compliment or otherwise. I know for myself, I would never comment on how someone looked (unless they were particularly close to me) because it makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable when people make comments on how much weight I've lost and how good I look.

I also don't think pats on the back are necessary for motivating yourself and I find it rather irritating when people look for praise or approval.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Buy something completely new and form fitting to wear. Your co-workers will notice then.:smile:

This is true! After losing weight I was still wearing my big boy pants and came to work one day with better fitting slim pants and people noticed right away.
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It's probably because they see you every day and they aren't paying that close of attention. When i was doing WW for the first time with my mom back in 2004, I didn't notice changes in her, like at all. I knew her weight because we went to weigh-in together, but I didn't know anything else. It took going shopping for new clothes for us to really see the differences in each other. And that was when we went for my size 14 prom dress, and she was able to get a size 12 pair of pants.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I work with almost all guys. The one guy that noticed that I got my hair done (went from blonde to dark brown and cut off 4 inches) was so embarrassed that he noticed that and commented on it that I don't expect anyone to say anything about my weight unless a big hunk of flab physically falls off in front of them! You know you are losing. Don't worry about what people don't say at work.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I work with mostly guys so I'm sure its a combination of them seeing me everyday and not wanting to offend me. I never thought of the legal aspects of it either...hmm...

Anyway,. you are all right, I did this for ME! I notice and thats all that matters (oh, and my husband...lol).
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Ok...here is my question: As of this morning I have lost 22 pounds (although I don't officialy weigh in until Friday..lol). I KNOW my body has changed. I am able to fit into clothes that I haven't worn in ages and some of those clothes are too big. I've gone down 2 pants sizes at least and my face is even different. I see muscles coming back that I haven't seen in years. So why haven't people said anything to me? Oh, I've had one or two friends that tell me how great I look. But the people I work with EVERYDAY haven't said a word. It makes me kind of sad and I get irritated that nobody has noticed my hard work. I know this is seemingly very selfish but I'm proud of what I've done.

I struggle with the same thing... You put in hard work and want others to notice... But at the end of the day, as others have said, it's definitely because they see you all the time and so the daily change is harder to notice. Don't worry about it so much. You have to do it for yourself, or you're going to be measuring your success by pleasing others, and that could be detrimental.

As for me, my own mother hadn't seen me in months, and when she did, I'm down over 40lbs, visibly different, and she said nothing to me. In fact, as she left my house after her visit, she hiked up her own pants and made a comment about how she's "lost so much weight" (though it doesn't really show, in my opinion). And out the door she went... It kinda hurts, but I'm so used to not receiving any praise from my family members that it didn't really affect me much. That's one of the things I've had to realize and deal with in my journey... Though my dad did bring it up at Christmas, so that was something. Of course I hadn't seen him in a full year. Anyhow... I'm rambling.
  • Perseverance10910
    Perseverance10910 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It actually makes me very nervous when people compliment my weight loss, at least until I have really lost enough that I am healthy and happy with my body...makes me feel like they definately acknowledged that I needed to loose the weight in the first place. I tend not to say anything to anyone else either unles it is drastic. I also have trouble when people compliment me because I tend to over reward myself after people start noticing my weight loss and then fall back into the same troubling routines. NOT gonna let that happen this time! No worries, just keep doing what you are doing and people will notice ;)
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It is because they see you every day so they don't notice a difference!

15059117.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    And if you work with all guys, they are not that observant! LOL

15059117.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My guess is that 1: They see you everyday so the change is not dramatic for them. #2: Some people may not have said anything for fear of indicating that you have not always looked good. #3 If you have not made any mention of a lifestyle change to the people who have not mentioned anything. They are probably respecting your privacy.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    22lbs makes you feel great but I don't think it's quite enough for most people who see you daily to notice.

On the one "successfull" loss period I had in the past (successful is in parentheses because I gained it all back) - I lost 39lbs.

I think a few people did start to notice at around the 25lb mark, I could see it in second glances and looks, but they waited to say something until it was much more obvious. I'm not expecting any comments until I'm over the 30lb loss mark again.
  • AtomicLemon
    AtomicLemon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i felt the same way after i lost about 30lbs and no one said anything..it was when i got up past 50 people started to notice.. alot of times people dont want to say anything either because they arent sure and dont want to offend.. just be proud you did this and keep moving forward .. your day of fame is on its way when you walk in to a party with some hot outfit on that really shows off your new bod ..

Exactly this.
  • 1jeaniebeanie
    1jeaniebeanie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I took it hard too... I think it is because this is one of our main focuses in our lives right now! So we are all about losing each and every pound... so we just automatically assume everyone else should notice too..

They are just not paying attention as much as you probably are... ... but if you did dress in tighter clothes they will notice...

I lost 35lbs before anyone in my office said anything... and I had to bring up the conversation about dieting... Then their comments were geared more towards suggestions on how to lose weight... uh... 35lbs lost... I think I was doing something right...

This reminds me of an incident I recently had with a coworker... I'll try to keep it short..lol...

In December, I started the RI 30 by Jillian Michaels... @ the end of December.. a male co worker of mine laughed as he suggested that he could bring me a couple of his P90X dvds for me to try out... I was like... Wow! that would be really cool!! because they are expensive... Then he laughed and kind of rolled his eyes and said "you really have to be good shape for this type of program, it's tough".... It just kind of upset me that he looked at me like a person the still is overweight and probably couldn't hack a real workout....

The conversation gave me a new goal though...

I want to be the one that people ask for weight loss advice from... and don't secretly question if I really work out and can bring it!!!
    I KNOW I CAN BRING IT.... I can't wait till everyone around me can just look at me and know I am an athlete that can BRING IT!

So... there's my rant... sorry... lol. :ohwell:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of an incident I recently had with a coworker... I'll try to keep it short..lol...

In December, I started the RI 30 by Jillian Michaels... @ the end of December.. a male co worker of mine laughed as he suggested that he could bring me a couple of his P90X dvds for me to try out... I was like... Wow! that would be really cool!! because they are expensive... Then he laughed and kind of rolled his eyes and said "you really have to be good shape for this type of program, it's tough".... It just kind of upset me that he looked at me like a person the still is overweight and probably couldn't hack a real workout....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr............. That's makes me want to take him into a boxing ring and kick his butt!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ok...here is my question: As of this morning I have lost 22 pounds (although I don't officialy weigh in until Friday..lol). I KNOW my body has changed. I am able to fit into clothes that I haven't worn in ages and some of those clothes are too big. I've gone down 2 pants sizes at least and my face is even different. I see muscles coming back that I haven't seen in years. So why haven't people said anything to me? Oh, I've had one or two friends that tell me how great I look. But the people I work with EVERYDAY haven't said a word. It makes me kind of sad and I get irritated that nobody has noticed my hard work. I know this is seemingly very selfish but I'm proud of what I've done.

This exact same thing happened to me. I lost around 25 lbs and 2 dress sizes (met my goal) and no one said diddly squat. My husband works for the same company but in a different department. I mentioned how frustrating it was that no one seemed to notice and his reponse was "Really? Several people have mention it to me." He hadn't lost any weight, he meant they mentioned my weight loss to him, but not me. WTF?? After I kept it off for a while people did start to mention it and ask how I lost it, etc. I'm still not sure why it took so long.