Bananas bad?

Options

Replies

• ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to see all these answers! I was really not going to be happy about kicking bananas out of my diet. My co-worker still seems to insist they are not helpful in weight loss, but I'll just eat them when she isn't around ;)

Eat them in front of her! Tell her you'll see which one of you two loses more weight.

We got your back.

she's probably telling you not to eat past 6pm too.... :grumble:

Agreed! I mean it's a banana, not a McDonald's Value meal. If you love it and log it, then make room for what makes you happy!
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to anyone who says fruit are bad for you. :grumble:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Your co-worker's ill-informed.

BANANAS ARE BRILLIANT!!!!

but don't go eating the whole bunch all at once.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Banana=awesomeness
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    I just ate a banana, and it was fantastic.

:drinker:
    I'm eating a tangelo!

Thank you all for posting back, I love bananas and I won't give them up!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    They are not bad they are high in carbs. If you don't mind the carbs go for it. If you find they have too many carbs for you eat 1/2.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    ^ lol.

but i eat at least one banana a day, and a bunch of other fruits too.

a guy at work wanted to eat more fruits, so he'll go threw an entire box of clementines. now, thats too much of a good thing. maybe it wouldn't be so bad if he cut down on the other stuff he eats, but nope, still eats a lot of other crap.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    According to someone on MFP, bananas are the worst possible thing you can eat while dieting.

He also said you should sleep as little as possible to burn more calories.
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    HAHAHA that picture made my morning oh lordy!

rml_16, say what? Sleep as little as possible? That is definitely not going to happen on my part!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as "good" or "bad" food. There's eating a proper number of calories, or not. There's getting the appropriate nutrients, or not. The human body doesn't differentiate between one food versus another, it just sees "glucose, fructose, sugar, aspartate, docosahexaenoic acid, tryptophan, beta carotene, calcium, potassium, etc. It doesn't see, "banana," or "yogurt."
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Bananas aren't bad for you, like others have said just make sure you eat them in moderation but having one a day won't hurt you (actually could be beneficial having one a day depending on your diet needs ) and they are a very nutritious food. They hold lots of vitamins and minerals and are a good source for potassium.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is log it and fit it into your calories for the day. Yes it has some carbs/sugar but that's a fair tradeoff for the potassium benefits, unless you're doing Atkins or something where you can't have any carbs. (Personally I couldn't handle a diet like that...but to each his/her own.)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I love bananas.

Calories in calories out =] and all that business.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA that picture made my morning oh lordy!

rml_16, say what? Sleep as little as possible? That is definitely not going to happen on my part!

Just passin' along the words of wisdom I've come across on this hear message board. ;-)
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    I love bananas.

:glasses:
    I think we need to start a I love Banana's group, any takers? LOL

rjmwx81 -- I agree I love carbs (obviously a little too much).
    rml_16 -- Thanks for passing it along! I'm still going to sleep 8-9 hours haha :)
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Haha...I had someone tell me this the other day too and I almost laughed out loud. It's all relative--are bananas the best fruit to choose for weight loss? No. But is a banana better than a slice of chocolate cake at the end of the night? Of course! Just try to eat a variety of fruits :) (Ironically, as I respond to this there is an ad on the side of the page saying '5 foods to never eat" with a pic of a banana, haha) Good luck in your weight loss journey!
  • ebmea
    ebmea Posts: 2
    Options
    Eat the banana. If it helps to know, the greener the banana the better. Your body has to break down the starch itself, thereby causing your blood sugar to rise more slowly than it would in an ripened (or yellow) banana. Enjoy it!
  • Ceebee37
    Options
    no, I eat one each day and I have lost over 20kilos!!such a great food, as long as you are within your calories
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Eat the banana. If it helps to know, the greener the banana the better. Your body has to break down the starch itself, thereby causing your blood sugar to rise more slowly than it would in an ripened (or yellow) banana. Enjoy it!

I can't *stand* the texture of green bananas. They just seem way too crunchy/crispy to me. If I wanted that I'd eat an apple. lol That's just me though, I know some people love them green. To each their own, I guess. :)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I always heard bananas are the athlete's perfect food because they contain both simple and complex carbs for immediate and lasting energy.... hmmm....