Bananas bad?

Options

Replies

• SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bananas are fantastic! I know several people who are eating 6 or more a day. I don't know anyone who got overweight eating fruit. Eat the banana :smile:
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree with BrettPGH! I would eat them in front of her lol! :) I believe that bananas are very good for you and one a day is not going to hurt your weight loss.
  • phantom363
    Options
    When you eat any food, certain hormones are activated/secreted. One of them is called ghrelin. Ghrelin is one of the ways your body tells your brain your full. From what I understand there are three fruits that don't have much impact on the release of this hormone: Watermelon, Grapes and.... you guessed it Bananas. I believe once your blood sugar equalizes out, this hormone is what gives you a lasting full feeling. In any case, this tends to result in these three fruits being eaten to access and put on the no-no list by some folks. So keep consumption moderate and you can't lose.

My recommendation is to eat something with the bannana, like maybe some light string cheese or peanut butter and it will probably keep you feeling full longer.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    When you eat any food, certain hormones are activated/secreted. One of them is called ghrelin. Ghrelin is one of the ways your body tells your brain your full. From what I understand there are three fruits that don't have much impact on the release of this hormone: Watermelon, Grapes and.... you guessed it Bananas. I believe once your blood sugar equalizes out, this hormone is what gives you a lasting full feeling. In any case, this tends to result in these three fruits being eaten to access and put on the no-no list by some folks. So keep consumption moderate and you can't lose.

My recommendation is to eat something with the bannana, like maybe some light string cheese or peanut butter and it will probably keep you feeling full longer.

source?
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    http://www.30bananasaday.com/

check this site out
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    Bananas are fantastic! I know several people who are eating 6 or more a day. I don't know anyone who got overweight eating fruit. Eat the banana :smile:

yes. love this. you wont get fat eating fruit trust this lady!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This is correct. Ghrelin tells you that you're hungry, leptin and insulin tell you that you're full.
  • TAC2413
    TAC2413 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Your coworker is crazy. Yes Bananas contain a high amount of starch and sugar, but if they keep you from hitting the vending machine at work, you're still being successful. They're much better for you than cookies and chips. :)

I'd even eat them around the coworker and not worry about it at all.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Bananas are of the devil! Eat Little Debbie snack cakes instead.

Seriously, bananas are good for you. I eat one almost every day.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Bananas are fine. You need fruit in your diet, just don't go overboard. And make sure you eat more vegetables than fruits.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    +1 best answer.A medium apple has more grams of sugar than a medium banana. Indeed banana is not a filling fruit. Glycemic index 10 out of 100/day.
    Here is everything you need to know:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

No, they're not bad! As long as they fit into your calorie and macro nutrient goals they can be included as part of you diet (just like everything else, actually).
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    No. They are not bad for you.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    He's right. Bananas is why Americans and Europeans are fat!
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    This site used to run an ad across the top with a picture of a banana and the words.....The 12 foods you should never eat. Made me want one everyday.....and I usually had one. They are so good, higher in calorie than many fruits yea, but I just counted it into my calorie count for the day......I still lost 40lbs.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    love bananas, ditto what others said, perfectly fine ot eat them.

Side note on the leg cramps: a baked potato has 3x (maybe more, i cant remember) potassium than a banana. I also get leg cramps!
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    Bananas are my friend! I eat them daily. However, I do know people that are diabetic that limit their intake. But for me, I count the calories and have fun!
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    LOL.:laugh: I eat a banana right now and I'm both american and european.
    He's right. Bananas is why Americans and Europeans are fat!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    So according to my co-worker, bananas are really bad for weight loss because of all the sugar they contain. This bums me out because I love bananas! I eat them to keep my legs from spazzing out and to help with cramps.

So I want some answer, should I give bananas up while trying to lose weight (I try to limit myself to a small banana every few days).

I'll take all the advice I can get :)

:glasses:

I eat 1 every single day

Sugar in fruits are surrounded by nutrients which do not break down until it gets to the intestines and you pee/poop it out.

Sugar in a candy bar does not have anything around the sugar molecule supporting it so it breaks down in your saliva, and spikes your blood sugar therefore you will crave more, no good.

Go for the Nanna!
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Absolutely not. They have good fats and fruit sugars, and are high calorie for a fruit, but they make a great pre-workout snack that I think is better than having a cereal or granola bar.

Natural over processed is better any day.