HATE Veggies!!

Options
Anyone have any suggestions on what to eat if you don't like veggies??? I really wish I did, but I can't stand them, except of course for corn and potatoes... lol

Replies

• bethh3
    bethh3 Posts: 3
    Options
    In the same boat here. I can do green beans and peas also, but that's it.
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When you say you hate veggies, are you talking canned veggies? Frozen? Fresh?

My first suggestion would be to go to the store and buy some fresh baby carrots, some fresh salad greens (baby spinach, or mixed greens), a bell pepper (red or yellow) and just to mix it up throw some broccoli into the cart.

Saute the broccoli with a little olive oil, salt and pepper (or if you're really crazy some smoked paprika) until it turns bright green in color (just 1-2 minutes normally)

Take the baby carrots and try them as a snack.

Use the mixed greens as a salad with the bell pepper diced on top.

I live on veggies here, their flavors are so complex. We're vegan, but even before that, I made sure 50% of my food a day was made up of veggies.

You may also want to try green smoothies. Take frozen fruit, a banana, a little milk or water and blend with a cup of spinach. That's my breakfast every day, though I rotate what veggies I use, kale, parsley, collard greens, romaine etc..
  • dosmundos
    Options
    I hate veggies too. However I force myself to eat them just to get it over with.
    Also I started to puree the veggie soup - makes it easier .
  • ajpwillis
    Options
    My problem exactly!! I take a juice plus orchard blend capsule. It is a capsule that has vegetable juice in it...so you just swallow it and you get the nutrients you need! My Mother in law buys them for me so I am not 100% sure where she gets them, but I think Walgreens and health food stores have them.

Also Green giant has some awesome low calorie vegetable steamers about 45 cal a serving. They are covered in an awesome that makes them more bearable. They even have sweet corn for 45 cal and it is the best corn I have ever had! I never liked broccoli but I made myself try there broccoli and cheese sauce...also 45 cal. It is really good!!! I eat it all the time now...you can buy multi packs at Sams to save money :)

Hope that helps!!
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Maybe try sweet potatoes? They are yummy! I tend to like "sweeter" veggies like this or sugar snap peas. Maybe even try different seasonings or dips to help you eat them.
  • cjknighty
    Options
    I don't like veggies either- just peas and carrots, but the recipes they suggest always have veggies in them. Can anyone give any fat burning recipes WITHOUT veggies in???
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    corn and potatoes shouldn't even count as veggies LOL

Just experiment, you WILL find something you like. What do you dislike? The texture? the taste? cook them or season them to alter whatever you're not fond of. You can start small by adding little bits of veggies to things you do like. Chopped carrots, celery and peas mix well with rice or pasta, or you can throw things like chopped onions, peppers, or mushrooms into a you already like. Spinach satueed with garlic and olive oil makes a great side to anything and I LOVE roasted carrots, potatoes and brussels sprouts with a little salt and pepper. Just try different combinations and it will get easier.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    If you Really hate veggies...don't eat them.
    They are great for vitamins and fiber, but take a multi vitamin, eat some whole grain cereals or breads and go on!
    Its recommended to get vitamins and fiber from fresh fruits and vegetables, but not required. Life will go on.....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    mash some in with the ones you like. mash cauliflour, turnip, and or parsnips in with mashed potatoes. Puree carrots and other orange veggies and mix in with pizza and past sauces
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    blend them up and mix them in with things you do like.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You could try crock-pot soups or chills (or on the stovetop if you don't have a crock pot). The flavors of the meat/broth season the veggies just WONDERFULLY!

You could also make a lasagna and hide some veggies in there. There are great recipes out there that add spinach, eggplant, and other veggies that you can barely taste due to the garlic and tomatoes.

This may sound bad to some people, but salting raw vegetables really enhances the flavor. If you start by salting them you can cut the salt when you're enjoying the taste more. I eat raw red bell pepper, carrots, and cucumbers with a dash of salt and it really helps with flavoring. I have issues with low BP so I need added salt in my diet however.

You could make omelets with veggies added too, and especially if you add turkey bacon or ham the meat flavors the eggs more than the veggies. Similarly sandwiches like chicken salad and BLT (with turkey bacon) add veggies but the meat carries the flavor. Tacos/enchiladas/burritos are usually seasoned well and can have many added vegetables, especially if you shred them into the meat.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Corn and Potato?

Ummmmmm

Any doctor will tell you to maintain your health you should the color of the rainbow every day.

The green veggies have a lot of things in it to keep your body going.

I love cucumbers. They dont have a lot of taste so those might work well for you.

Also I cut up bell peppers and munch on those all of the colors are great.

Maybe try a dressing? Or cooking it different?

My veggies always tast better fresh.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them, and stay within your calorie count for the day?
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    mash some in with the ones you like. mash cauliflour, turnip, and or parsnips in with mashed potatoes. Puree carrots and other orange veggies and mix in with pizza and past sauces

OOOooo yeah thats a good idea.
  • mrsbeebs
    Options
    Jessica Seinfeld wrote a cookbook, "Deceptively Delicious." It was designed to hide veggies in kids foods, but you could try for yourself!
  • CoachSid
    Options
    I just don't eat them. Don't tell me how to put them with other things, I just won't. I eat sweet potatoes and sometimes cheat a little with a 1/2 baked potato but I eat more fish, chicken and pork and just let the veggies go. BTW I have lost over 100 pounds in 2011. ONly 53 since I started with MFP but over 100 and my blood sugar, cholesterol and everything else are great
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them, and stay within your calorie count for the day?

that would work for weight loss but not for health.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    It may not be the "veggies" themselves but the particular "preparation" methods you've tried.
    My family "preps" all veggies by boiling them endlessly in a pot of water.... so much for taste... the broth would be better than the veggies (it seems :P)

But once I started steaming some veggies (first done because I was on a well with non potable water, so hauling in 18L jugs meant I restricted water where I could.... steaming allows me to prep veggies with 1 or 2 cups of water to boil rather than the whole pot filled with water which then gets drained) and grilling others... yeah veggies aren't that bad when you find a prep method you like.

Also try some heritage breeds of the veggies from a farmers market if you have one around, the ones sold in the typical grocery store are "bred for shelf stability over taste" because we all know we grab the best looking items and leave the rest behind... stable storage and great taste don't always go hand in hand.
  • kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    there were a lot of veggies that I thought that I didn't like until I actually sat down and tried each one individually and tried them both raw and steamed. Each way brings different flavors and textures. When you try to slowly eat a veggie by itself, you can really tell the flavor of each one and be surprised what you may like.

also, spaghetti squash casserole -
    squash, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes (in the sauce)

add some hot sausage, cheese and garlic and it is amazingly good!
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I drink the light version of the V8 juices. They taste like fruit juice, but you can still get your serving of veggies that way if you absolutely do not want to eat the veggies as they are. Also try making juices at home as well! You can throw in a carrot when you do a strawberry bananna smoothie and barely taste it! I am planning on investing in a juicer soon. I also found a machine that turns any frozen fruit into sorbet without adding anything extra to it! Might get one of those and sneak some veggies into it as well!

Add:

Also, try some veggies you haven't before! I tried yellow carrots, and they are a lot better than orange carrots when cooked IMO!