What do you eat when you're really hungry?

Options

Replies

• jenjustintime
    Options
    You don't go into starvation mode in one day.

Your body goes into starvation mode at any point if you are not consuming enough energy (food) in the day such as if you are going too long between meals ie over 3 hrs. or more. You're metabolism starts to slow down and your body will be quicker to store your next meal as fat. When your body is in starvation mode it actually holds onto fat and starts to waste muscle tissue instead. Every time you lose muscle your metabolism slows down even more.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Woman trolls should only be seen not heard but you probably dont see them cause they should be in the kitchen making a ManTroll his Sammich

This woman troll is gonna b*tch slap you with her club. Now go make ME a sammich.

Again seen not heard. Try to pay attention
  • tannjam
    tannjam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've heard eating protein helps with hunger. I am following Body For Life which I did 2 years ago and lost 80lbs. I went off this for a year and h ave gained 30 back due to going back to bad eating habits. I eat 5-6 small meals a day and it really helps with not being hungry all the time.
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    if i'm really hungry and i dont have a lot of calories left for the day i make myself a smoothie: usually 1/3 to 1/2 cup of skim milk, 1/8 cup of non fat plain yogurt , some fruit, one apple, and 2 ice cubes. it usually comes out to 100 or less calories a serving - and i share mine w/ my mom or bro @ home.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options

Your body goes into starvation mode at any point if you are not consuming enough energy (food) in the day such as if you are going too long between meals ie over 3 hrs. or more. You're metabolism starts to slow down and your body will be quicker to store your next meal as fat. When your body is in starvation mode it actually holds onto fat and starts to waste muscle tissue instead. Every time you lose muscle your metabolism slows down even more.

Wrong.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390234-does-starvation-mode-exist-and-what-is-it
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

This is not true.
  • robinreed10
    Options
    Wow, a lot of mean answers to this questions! Maybe she doesnt understand...I know I dont understand "starvation mode" There are LOTS of days when I complete my food journal it tells me I have not consumed enough calories and my body may enter starvation mode. This is very hard for me to understand! I am FAR from starving! I eat close to 1200 calories, butI am hitting the gym two times a day and it tell me to replenish the calories I burn! I am NOT going to do that...maybe I should eat more, but im satisfied.

As far as what do I reach for when I really hungry?....I drink some water and eat which ever meal I am suppose to. I am trying very hard to make healthy choices. If I am in the car and not able to eat a small meal I grab an apple or a grapefruit! If im very hungry it doesnt take much to satisfy me. Hope that helps :) After all we are all here for the same general reason. SUPPORT!

Feel free to add me if you want, I like to think of myself as a positive person :)
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

Wrong.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390234-does-starvation-mode-exist-and-what-is-it

That WomanTroll ^^ Is right
  • jules77az
    Options
    My go to snacks are cream of wheat with 1/2c of soy milk for around 140 calories (I can't remember exactly). I drink it so that it takes longer to consume and I end up feeling full until lunch time. I also have found 1-2 hard boiled eggs is a PERFECT lay over snack that doesn't lead me into the munchies and lastly popcorn. I have to admit fruit or vegi's leave me with the munchies. So I eat them with my meals instead. The trick is to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • skaupanger
    Options
    6 or 7 nuts? Seriously? If I'm really hungry, 6 or 7 nuts are only going to make me angry. Really hungry? How about 2lbs of chicken breast, pounded flat, packed with bacon and cheese, rolled up, floured, crisped in some EVOO and then baked. On top of that, let's put an entire 2 heads of broccoli and a glass of whole milk. That's satisfaction!

That. Sounds. Amazing.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    idhqpi.jpg
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Woman trolls should only be seen not heard but you probably dont see them cause they should be in the kitchen making a ManTroll his Sammich

This woman troll is gonna b*tch slap you with her club. Now go make ME a sammich.
    NoGirlsOnInternet.jpg
  • jennajava
    Options
    Again seen not heard. Try to pay attention
    He can't see me anymore.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQH-2Kfg3aHII3e8lTp8zKnITh3B0XD9hhoSI-C72XNA13bL1YD9ymzffek
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    Wow, a lot of mean answers to this questions! Maybe she doesnt understand...I know I dont understand "starvation mode" There are LOTS of days when I complete my food journal it tells me I have not consumed enough calories and my body may enter starvation mode. This is very hard for me to understand! I am FAR from starving! I eat close to 1200 calories, butI am hitting the gym two times a day and it tell me to replenish the calories I burn! I am NOT going to do that...maybe I should eat more, but im satisfied.

As far as what do I reach for when I really hungry?....I drink some water and eat which ever meal I am suppose to. I am trying very hard to make healthy choices. If I am in the car and not able to eat a small meal I grab an apple or a grapefruit! If im very hungry it doesnt take much to satisfy me. Hope that helps :) After all we are all here for the same general reason. SUPPORT!

Feel free to add me if you want, I like to think of myself as a positive person :)

Robin even though I dont do this exactly you definitely need to eat most of those calories you burn back.
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • Michael_Unsell
    Michael_Unsell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to eat fresh baby carrots, yogurt, or nutri- grain bar with a cup of skim milk. I usually gets me through to the next meal.
  • jennajava
    Options

So...you're getting what, 5 or 6 hundred cals a day?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    because I think my body will store the food I'm putting in it.

That's not really something to worry about if you consume less calories (a deficit) than your body needs to maintain itself (maintenance calories / TDEE) over the course of the day / week.

It's true that your body will store any excess energy (calories) you provide through food intake that you do not immediately need in a number of places including fat cells. However, this is offset if you remain in a calorie deficit as your body will pull that energy back out (oxidation) to fuel your daily functions in the absence of enough calories. Essentially it balances out. That is why the number of times you eat a day, when you eat and so on aren't something to be overly worried about.

In essence eat what you want, preferably something that keeps you fuller for longer (satiety) though as that will prevent over eating during the remainder of the day.
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If I want something savory: A VERY toasted slice of ezekiel bread with 30g of avocado, salt and lemon.

Something sweet: Quaker caramel rice cake with 16g of Peanut Butter & Company White Chocolate peanut butter and 30g of banana.

Both under 200 calories. Takes the "edge" off my hunger and allows me make better food decisions later.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have heard on Dr Oz to eat about 6 or 7 nuts.. or some type of healthy fat and 20 minutes later you won't feel as hungry. The fat sends a message of satisfaction to your brain telling you that you are full.

I haven't tried it yet... I tend to grab anything I can find if I'm starving... and then work it off later... lol.

I watched one of Dr. Oz's show (where he suggested carrying one serving of raw almonds, about 24 pieces, just to have on hand should hunger pains develop). I now purchase bulk raw almonds and divide them into single servings. I always have one in my purse -- just in case. Note: At first I was automatically eating them after my workouts, but then I started to pay attention to see if I really "needed" them (vs. "wanted" them). Now I only eat them if I am truly hungry. It does work, especially if I have to go to the grocery store. That plus water.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I'm really hungry, I eat a protein bar. But, I try and avoid letting myself get REALLY hungry - I do better to keep my blood sugar stable.

I would like to mention that starvation mode doesn't occur because you are "very hungry". It happens after a very long period of time with a severely reduced caloric intake.