SO Depresssssssed

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have alot of experience in this department... In 2009 I was homebound and had not left the house in 2 years was eating myself to death and had severe depression and social phobia issues. Fast forward to today and with alot of hard work and therapy I am regaining control of my life. I still have days when I just don't want to participate in life and would rather hide out in our house and ignore the world but those are the days when I push back the hardest. Exercise has become a stress reliever for me and the endorphins released from working out are so much more of a satisfaction than any amount of depression I have went through. You really have to push yourself through those feelings and find an outlet that allows you to work through those times. Good luck to you
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I'm posting this again due to the importance of it...

It took a death in the famlily (Meagan Kandis - 15 yrs old BEAUTIFUL cousin). She would have celebrated her sweet 16 on Jan 12 but she will be clebrating it in Heaven. It opened my eyes and let me know what was really important to me - my 3 girls! I thank God each day for my great health, WONDERFUL children and a family who loves me. I focus on that - and not 'me'. Also, running 30-35 miles a week and setting goals helps me keep my eyes on the ball. If I have too much time on my hands - I will start to feel depressed. I just dont have time to get depressed anymore.

Also, you may not see it - but you are a shining star in many people's eyes! They love you, check up on you, smile when they hear your voice or see you or even think of you. If you were gone from this Earth (like our precious little Megs), MANY MANY MANY people would be devistated. You would have weeping parents, siblings, friends, relatives and others. Dont be afraid to talk to someone when you feel depressed. It killed Meagan! Dont let it kill anyone else! This is for anyone thinking/contemplating suicide! I can tell you this, its left my family in turmoil. She wrote in her notes that 'we would cry a little but we would get over it' - BULL$HIT! Its a LIFE SENANCE for her mother, grand parents, my children and me, friends, relatives, and a slew of other people she touched daily.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Try pushing yourself to work out anyway to release those endorphins or as someone else mentioned, do something that makes you feel good about you. Make a list of all the small and wonderful accomplishments you've made in your life.

I suffered from severe depression from the age of 8 (now 23). I was on medication, which made me feel nothing which made me feel worse and I self medicated with drugs and alcohol in high school. After awhile, enough was enough and I had to take measures to love myself no matter what. The biggest thing that helped me move on during my down days was putting up a post it on my bedroom mirror telling myself all the reasons why I am good and should be happy (and not stuff like how my family and friends are, but things that are just about me). It became like a mantra and now I've been medication free for 7 years. I still have low days, but just reminding myself of the good in my life helps me get out of bed and push through the day.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    light and movement help that .. if you can get yourself to a gym then go..if not then get outside and walk. you can also ramp up your energy level by listening to high energied music. above all dont sit there and stew because it can get worse and harder to get out.. just force yourself to walk or go to the gym so you are moving..
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Get up. Sitting and not doing anything is going to make you feel worse. Pick a section of music that motivates you or releases emotion and go for a walk. Start slow, you dont have to start every day running. Understand some days are harder than others and ease your way into it. Good Luck
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression. I no longer take meds for it. As my doctor says I am very self aware, the side effects are way harder for me to cope with. I am suffering bad today too.

I am trying to "talk myself down" which is something I always have to do. I just repeat over and over again that I will not go down. I will keep trying and I will not eat to self medicate. Being aware that you have these issues helps me a lot. And I am far too stubborn to ever give up. I turn on some music that hits my mood and surf MFP for good vibes. I still keep on keeping on.

so I guess my best advice is to kick yourself in the pants. It is what I do every day. Even though it is so hard, you can do it. Believe that you are in control. And maybe you will be.
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i so hear you. I'm in a depressive episode right now and getting up to do anything is a fight, nevermind trying to get up to work out. Do you have a friend around that can come watch a movie with you? It's something that's pretty minimal effort but you'll be able to be social.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Oh,,,, been there.

After my mom died, I was in rough shape. I used to lay in bed for hours & hours staring at the ceiling. I'd call my loved ones with such a depressive tone in my voice so they got tired of hearing from me. I lost a lot of friends... I did nothing all day every day.

Honestly? How I coped? Not well. I gotta say. But... It does get easier.

I had a counsellor call-in line that I used a lot. They'd have stupid tips & tricks of ways to "decide to feel better" which were absolute bull****. But sometimes just talking it out with someone helped. Or I'd write it down.

What I ended up doing was buying a bunch of books from Dummies.... "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy" was a good one... so was "Neuro-Linguistic Programming", and "Life Coaching". The main theme of all of these was something to the general affect of training your brain to work differently. Things you're afraid of... bad memories... how to make these not impact you as much. Things that bother you... training yourself to think of them differently, to remember things differently. How to change and impact your mind-set to be more positive.

When you don't feel like leaving the house... when you don't feel like exercising... when you don't feel even like watching daytime TV because we all know how *GrEaT* that is.... (lol)... Sometimes you CAN force yourself to pick up a book. And reading that kind of material... it's a mood-perk-up.
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. When it hits me hardest, I don't just feel like I don't want to go anywhere or do anything, I feel like I *can't* go anywhere or do anything. I allow myself to cry a little because it helps (I hate crying), but I find that my healing comes from taking care of myself. Some people find talking to a friend, forcing themselves to go outside, or watching their favorite movie helpful, but for me I consider it a day in with myself.

Here's what I do: I surround myself with some of my favorite things, even if they don't make me feel better immediately - a nice, hot mug of tea; a warm bath with lots and LOTS of bubbles; put on the softest, most comfortable clothes I have; settle under a blanket; and watch a movie or read a book...sometimes I've even folded laundry. I find that doing the simple things, the mundane things, help bring me up from my depression. It takes days sometimes, but it eventually works.

Like I said, everybody's different. For me, talking to somebody only makes it worse because all I can talk about is how miserable and hopeless I feel. Writing does the same, even though I love to write. Caring for myself is the best thing I can do - don't put on makeup, don't do my hair, just be as natural as possible.

I hope you get to feeling better. Take care of yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    When I struggled with depression, the one thing that would help on a bad day, was to push myself to have social interaction. Ask a friend to come over and do some baking, go shopping or feed ducks or whatever there is to do there. That's what worked for me back in the dark times.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Usually my REALLY low days are when I haven't been in or seen the sun in days so I've found going tanning helps quite a bit. Just force yourself to exercise and it would help a ton. I know what you mean, but if you don't think about and just get up and get going there's less time to dwell on having to get up.
  • aewinter18
    aewinter18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water. Take a shower and put on some clothes that make you feel good. Do your hair and makeup -- nothing fancy, just enough to make you like what you see in the mirror. Then leave the house. Basically, do the opposite of whatever you feel like you want to do. Because that's not YOU wanting to sleep all day, that's depression.

I think of depression as a parasite. It needs you to hole up in bed and not take care of yourself because if you get up and pull yourself out of the funk, it has to let you go. It won't have anything to feed on. So it makes you think you want to lie around in your pajamas doing nothing, because that's what depression needs you to do in order for it to stay alive. So depression wants you to mope, tell depression to screw itself and do the opposite of that. Get out there. Exercise, even if it's just taking a walk outside or doing some good stretches and jumping jacks. Eat healthy food. Take your vitamins if you take them (and if you do'nt, I suggest looking into a D supplement -- it's helped me more than I can explain). Turn on some happy music. Do not sit around in your pajamas. If you try to get moving and it really just doesn't take, then sit and read a good book or watch your favorite movie, and don't let yourself feel bad about what you're not getting done today, because that's also the depression talking. Just keep going.

Having also dealt with depression, I 100% agree with this. Do not listen to the depression, it feeds it. Do the opposite of everything you feel you want to do.
    Amazing Advice! It's very tough. Here's to hoping it resolves at some point.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully all will be well as the day goes on. I'm gonna go do my hair, and get out of here and distract myself if nothing else

It's good to know that there are people like you all out there, that care.

Have a great day and I'll keep ya'll updated
    xoxoxo

great idea!!! i go to tan, get my nails done, pedicure, hair style ..anything to just perk myself up and it always works .. good luck with your day and let us know how it went!
  • Git_er_Dun_Gal
    Git_er_Dun_Gal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel the same and have suffered from depression pretty much all my life. I dont know if having a mid-life crisis right now or just a combination of too much on my plate. I just want to run away and hide but has soo much responsibility that I can't. With it being winter I find a healthy dose of vitamin d helps somewhat and I know its not good but I find a tanning session helps perk me up quite a bit. Hang in there girl! this too shall pass....hugs my friend...i know how it feels!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What I do when I get like that is to push myself to just accomplish ONE task I've been avoiding. Maybe it's doing the dishes or laundry, or scrubbing the toilet and tub. Maybe it's coloring my hair. Maybe it's refilling the bird feeders outside. Maybe it's getting exercise. But I know that I'll feel better once it's done, and it often starts a chain reaction of accomplishing more and more things. If you absolutely can't push yourself and it lasts more than two weeks, talk to your doctor about possibly changes to your medications.

When all else fails, a really hot bubble bath with a good book in the winter is almost as good, sometimes better, than a lounge chair or raft in the pool in the sunshine in the summer.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as clinically depressed about 7 years ago, when I have the really low days (which are few now) I make myself a deal. I will tell myself if I get up and go for a 5 minute walk than I can sit on the couch for 5 minutes, usually when I do the 5 minutes, I feel pretty decent and just kepe going,

Basically just getting up and doing it is the only way I can get out of the funk. Try to get outside, even if it is cold out, I find the fresh air is excellent and makes me feel better, if you can hit a tanning bed for a couple of minutes - it will help with the Vit D (you don't have to actually work for a tan) If you have a happy lamp use that.

Just remember depression is a liar and you will come out on the other end a better stronger person. I hope you get out of the low quickly!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Music, put some music on that you love and is upbeat, nothing depressing and get dancing, do a work out, go take a shower, get dressed put some make up on and call a friend for a catch up.
    I agree i get in some pretty big funks to put it mildly and lately my husband has been thrilled because when he gets home the tv is off the music on and the kids and i are singing and dancing. Pitbull, Lmfao, David Guetta , Anything with a good beat we also have mandatory Marley at 5 pm we play a Bob Marley song. this started because when we lived on an island the radio did it and you know what it helps our whole family!!! I hope this helps you as well as all the other wonderful suggestions that this thread has had.
  • seanmcdh
    Options
    GREAT advice, shiseido_faer!
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I know when I am having a bad day, one thing that really helps brighten it up (no pun intended) is a little heliotherapy! Although outdoor sunscreen is not allowed in tanning beds, put a little on your hands (seeing the sense of smell is the strongest linked to memory, it instantly makes me think of happy, warm summer days at the beach), hit a tanning salon, and just picture the sun, sand, and waves. Plus, the vitamin D is extremely beneficial, and may help lift your spirits a bit.

Hang in there!
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    I have had several friends with family members that have suffered from severe depression. You are not alone---so many people are battling this same problem. The advice from everyone to get up and do something is definitely the best advice. Staying cooped up by yourself just feeds the problem. Being alone is the last thing you need. I think everyone this time of year suffers from some depression and sometimes it is really hard to make yourself get up and be alive. Find a really good gym --- group exercise will at least get you out of the house and help burn calories and stress.

Proper nutrition and diet is also important. Be sure you are getting the right vitamins and overall nutrition--this helps support good mental health as well as physical health.

Don't shut people out and talk to someone. Getting up everyday, taking a shower and getting dressed is always a good way to start the day, even if you don't have an agenda. It just makes you feel better.