HELP... need to know a lower calorie pasta

Options
Hi! I am hoping that someone out there will be able to tell me a lower calorie pasta. I purchased Catelli Healthy Harvest Whole wheat pasta, now I do not mind the taste... but there are over 300 calories in 3/4 of a cup!!! I am on a 1200 cal limit per day & that is way too many calories for me to lose in one little serving.. I am not wanting to give up pasta, but am looking for a better solution!! thanks

Replies

• kristin_mcconkey
    kristin_mcconkey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    personally i think there's no winning with pasta (even thou i love it). When i eat it i either use no yolks pasta which is a cholesterol free egg white pasta, with 200 for 56g. I made this the other night and actually half this serving with a side salad was just enough. I also use tofu noodles which are both low in calories and carbs. Hope this helps!
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Try spaghetti squash, i love it and it has a kinda sweet taste!
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    No Yolks noodle pasta I really like and it seems a decent calorie amount. And you can use it for anything. I've done cheesey, alfredo, you could do a tomatoey type(I don't like tomatoes).
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Linguini. 180 calories for 2 oz. (uncooked), not gritty, yummy!
  • Laf300
    Laf300 Posts: 3
    Options
    try tofu shirataki noodles - they aren't pasta.. but close. Hungrygirl.com has a fake fettucini alfredo recipe with them, that isn't so bad!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

All the way!!! I replaced it for the whole family and they LOVE it!
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live but Meijer brand pasta has 200 per serving but it isn't the wheat .
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Although I haven't tried them yet, I have a package of shirataki noodles in my fridge. Apparently they're a good substitute for pasta. I found this recipe: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/939

ETA: Ohh!! I'm trying this one! Fettucini alfredo-esque, for 80 calories a serving? Yeah!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/249
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We recently found these "Miracle Noodles" (you can google them). They are made from some root in Japan. They are interesting - kind of have a weird smell right out of the bag, but once you rinse them it goes away. They are a little chewy, but otherwise I've found them to be a more than acceptable substitute. Best thing about them: 0 cal and 0 carbs per serving! They do have a little fiber in them as well. Worst thing is that they are a little expensive, but I would think they are worth a try for you!
  • Mommy2boys1girl
    Mommy2boys1girl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been using Ronzoni Smart Taste Thin Spaghetti. It is 170 per serving.
  • sziemba1
    Options
    Try using spaghetti squash. The carbs in pasta is what is killing you.
  • Heididove
    Heididove Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Ronzoni Smart Taste pastas only have 170 calories in one serving (2oz) and it tastes great! I even have half a serving to save on cals and it's enough with a chicken sausage and light sauce to fill me up for a bit.
  • shanahtehya
    shanahtehya Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have not tried them yet but I read that Shirataki noodles can be used instead of pasta, they are 20 cal a serving.
    here is a link for some recipes

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=a64f9ec33c6040e3300e0652039d7974

you can buy them in the Asian section or Asian grocery.
    I plan on trying them this weekend.
  • regthelittleone
    Options
    I use Dreamfields pasta ( low carb too) & taste just like regular pasta :D
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I just use regular pasta and bulk it up with tons of fresh veggies.
  • MistyGo
    MistyGo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fiber Gourmet. And it tastes great. http://www.fibergourmet.com/Default.aspx also google fiber gourmet cupon codes you usually can find 20% off and free shipping
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love Catelli pasta. I cook it up and add lots of frozen veggies and mix with Salsa so you don't need alot of pasta.
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Yes! If you're looking for a great spaghetti squash recipe, try this one for BAKED SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH BEEF AND VEGETABLES from allrecipes.com (I substitute Italian chicken sausage or ground for the beef, and it comes out to under 300 calories per serving.)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-spaghetti-squash-with-beef-and-veggies/detail.aspx
  • meghan_cr
    Options
    Agree with the spaghetti squash recommendation.

I also julienne dice zucchini and mix it in with linguine noodles so you still have the same shape, but less pasta and some added veggies! I also love adding sliced cremini mushrooms because they are filling too.

For me pasta is a calorie killer so I eat is sparingly now!
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Al Dente Carba Nada brand is around 140 cals for 1 1/2 cups and 24 carbs per serving. They come in all different flavors, egg noodles, lemon pepper, roasted garlic, etc.... They are pretty tasty too!!

Try Spaghetti squash as well.....It super yummy!!