HELP... need to know a lower calorie pasta

Options

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    What helps me out with the pasta issue is actually using a smaller amount of pasta and then adding veggies and chicken to the dish so I get a higher volume of food. The main thing I crave about pasta dishes is not actually the pasta, but the tomato-y cheese-y goodness, so I can sometimes use less pasta and add those extra veggies and be just as satisfied.

I'm sitting here right now with a bowl of tofu shirataki noodles, they've been sitting in my fridge for awhile and I'm just now trying them, and I'm not impressed. I have no sense of smell so that's not the problem, it's the texture. They are rubbery and just odd. Not loving it.
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    Fiber Gourmet. And it tastes great. http://www.fibergourmet.com/Default.aspx also google fiber gourmet cupon codes you usually can find 20% off and free shipping

I second this.

I like the shirataki noodles in Asian soups and stir-fries but they are SO different from pasta noodles! Would you put spaghetti sauce on ramen noodles? *shiver* For Italian recipes, I recommend Fiber Gourmet!
  • Dawna954
    Dawna954 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I use either rice pasta or spelt pasta. Both are good choices but watch the cooking time especially with the rice pasta as it cooks much quicker than wheat pasta. Also, make sure you rinse it well. Bon Appetite!
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    Try spaghetti squash, i love it and it has a kinda sweet taste!

^^^ THIS!!! ^^^ Totally has replaced pasta for me and I was a pastaholic! I cook mine in the microwave and put high fibre pasta sauce on it ... it's 89 calories for a cup and tastes just like spaghetti only has a slight crunch! :)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    shirataki noodles are really low cal but also don't offer much nutrition. You can find them next to the tofu in most grocery large stores. Good if you mix them with regular pasta, though, can eat the same amount for 1/2 the calories. Spaghetti squash is another good substitute. that way you're getting more vitamins too!
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Miracle noodles. tofu noodles, make your own noodles out of vegetables, or spaghetti squash. If I do eat pasta I get a whole wheat variety because your body digests it slower and thus less, and I use a measuring cup or scale to make sure I don't overdo it. Another trick someone else mentioned too was to bulk up the sauce with veggies, spices and lean meat.
  • TAC2413
    TAC2413 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Miracle noodle would be worth a try- 0 calories per serving.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Try spaghetti squash, i love it and it has a kinda sweet taste!

Yep....^^^^ what she said.
  • emily2975
    emily2975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    300 calories isn't overly high if it is your biggest meal of the day and if you're doing exercise as well! If you pair it with a low calorie tomato sauce and/or some steamed veggies, it isn't unreasonable to have a meal that is 350 or so... if you're on 1,200 calories per day, you could have 3 meals that were 350 calories and still have 150 for some light snacks! Chances are your other meals would usually be under 350 so that means even more room for snacks/beverages.

Also, don't forget about exercise!! The 1,200 calories is based on sitting at your desk and doing minimal movement each day...if you are exercising (even walking makes a difference!) you'll have more calories available to eat if you choose to!

If you like pasta, I say find a way to make it work for you and your goals! :)
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    The Shirataki noodles are an idea I've seen a lot. I need to try them. Also the squash idea...I've seen people make fettucine out of zucchini. I've tried the Ronzoni Healthy Harvest (I think that's what its called) and the Barilla Plus which are both pretty good and have a fairly low calorie count.

However...in my mind the squash and zucchini ideas just don't replace pasta (even though I haven't tried them it just doesn't sound appetizing). If you do the Ronzoni or Barilla it's still a fairly high amount of calories compared to the amount you actually get to eat (I can't eat just 1 serving of pasta. No way)

The Shirataki noodles though...I think they are pretty low cal and supposedly fantastic. I may try them this week.
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    RONZONI GARDEN DELIGHT SPAGETTI!!!! Its 190 calories for 3/4 c and only has 1 g of fat. It also has 4 g of fiber :) And the best part is ITS ONLY $1.50!!!
  • kimmerkay
    kimmerkay Posts: 110
    Options
    I use Barilla Plus. It is 210 cal but it has added protein. I make 1 serving with 2 wedges of Laughing Cow cheese, and 1 serving imitation crab and for 360 calories I have a very filling meal... Loaded with protein. My daughter uses chicken, in case you don't like crab...
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I prefer Tofu Shiratake to the miracle shiratake noodles. I think they have a better texture. Just remember. Rinse. the rinse some more. Keep rinsing until you are worried about your water bill. Then you can eat them. My local whole foods has them in multiple styles as well, fettuccine, spaghetti and angel hair. I like the angel hair the least because they are so damned thin they are impossible to rinse without loosing some to the colander.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    The Shirataki noodles are an idea I've seen a lot. I need to try them. Also the squash idea...I've seen people make fettucine out of zucchini. I've tried the Ronzoni Healthy Harvest (I think that's what its called) and the Barilla Plus which are both pretty good and have a fairly low calorie count.

However...in my mind the squash and zucchini ideas just don't replace pasta (even though I haven't tried them it just doesn't sound appetizing). If you do the Ronzoni or Barilla it's still a fairly high amount of calories compared to the amount you actually get to eat (I can't eat just 1 serving of pasta. No way)

The Shirataki noodles though...I think they are pretty low cal and supposedly fantastic. I may try them this week.

For someone like me who had no choice but to eliminate all pasta varieties, spaghetti squash and julienning up some zucchinis was a GREAT way for me to stll have that 'bite' that I needed while I eliminated the need for pasta.

These vegetables replaced pasta for me VERY EASILY... in fact, I julienne summer squash as well for the color and there is a bit of natural sweetness as well.

I purchase shirataki noodles by the case (thanks to working as a chef, I get great prices) and they are WONDERFUL! I can make my bowl of Pho with them and its still just as authentic because of the noodle being tofu...
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have been using Ronzoni Smart Taste Thin Spaghetti. It is 170 per serving.

This is the same pasta I use when I make our favorite chicken parm!!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I would recommend angel hair pasta. You can still get "normal" pasta, but the angel hair variety has less cals overall than a lot of other choices :)
  • life43
    life43 Posts: 1
    Options
    Not that this is the answer you're looking for. My wife is Italian and dieting as well. She refuses to give up pasta but has switched to whole wheat. So, she just continues doing what she did in Italy which is to eat her heavier meal (pasta) at lunch time. 1,200 calories a day is really rough!
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Look up Miracle Noodles....They are tofu or some kind of root. You have to get used to the texture but I use it all the time with my spaghetti and its sooooooooooo LOW in calories and Carbs!!!!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I think I heard of using bagged broccoli slaw (no dressing, just the raw veggie matchsticks) instead of noodles. That sounds like something I may try this weekend.
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Take tofu shirataki noodles (I get them at Whole Foods, and use the whole bag... only 40 calories :))
    I baked them on a pan lined with tinfoil and sprayed with olive oil cooking spray at 350 for 10 minutes topped with no-salt sodium substitute, crushed black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dried basil, cayenne pepper.

Boiled 1/4 cup of dreamfields 5g net carb rotini pasta to taste

For about 5-10 minutes while other things were cooking pan sauteed on medium heat with olive oil cooking spray
    Four asparagus stalks, cut up
    3 medium-large mushrooms cut up
    Along with the above spices

Added 3/4 cups of light prego traditional sauce to the veggies once they cooked for a bit.
    Added dreamfields and shirataki noodles to mix and cooked on low heat for 5 minutes or so.

No guidelines on the seasoning except do it to taste, but it all tasted great if you can get through the texture of the shirataki noodles. :)

Whole meal was about 209 calories and it's a good amount of food.