anyone else having this problem?

Options
13»

Replies

• EmmaShorter
    Options
    if you continue you might develop an eating disorder, one way or another.

I think it may already be one.
    It makes quite logical sense when you think about it. If you are starving your body of calories (energy) your body wants to protect itself. In order to do that whenever you do eat anything the body says hang on she is eating, let's convert it all to fat and store it for when we need it (i.e. when you are not eating).
    When you start to eat properly you may initally notice a small gain as your body is not used to the food coming in. Eventually your body will be retrained and will say ok we seem to be getting plenty of energy now let's get rid of some of the junk in the trunk. Then the weight will start to come off.
    You must start eating properly. Maybe a big meal is not a good idea to start with. Do a number of small meals throughout the day and have a glass of water with every meal. Why don't you try slimming world? It is a healthy diet and does not limit the amount of food you eat as long as it is the right foods. It has trained my body to think so much differently about dieting. I used to think in order to lose weight I needed to be starving all the time, eating salads all the time etc. Now I know differently. Are you in the UK or US?
    I ate loads of yummy food this week and I lost 2.5 pounds. It is the best diet honestly. Friend me if you like.
  • monkeypain1984
    monkeypain1984 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you have a way to meet with a nutritionist/dietician? I think they could really help you
    None the dr tried to get a dietician/nutristionist to see me at the hospital but they said they dont deal with people like me any more lol. so im on my own really or at least it feels like it
    What did the dietician/nutritionist mean by "People like you"?
    I hope that they aren't being racist, or anything.
    The NHS apparently in my area no longer deal with people with weight problems or at least that was what the letter said that she showed me that she got back from the hospital.
    Rationing, eh?

either that or post code lottery
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    Do you have a way to meet with a nutritionist/dietician? I think they could really help you
    None the dr tried to get a dietician/nutristionist to see me at the hospital but they said they dont deal with people like me any more lol. so im on my own really or at least it feels like it
    What did the dietician/nutritionist mean by "People like you"?
    I hope that they aren't being racist, or anything.

The NHS apparently in my area no longer deal with people with weight problems or at least that was what the letter said that she showed me that she got back from the hospital.

Well, that explains it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'd recommend finding another doctor - this one sounds kind of clueless. Or go ahead and find a nutritionist on your own if your insurance allows that (I have no idea how NHS works)

This happened to a friend of mine. Luckily she's now doing a program that, while I wouldn't do it myself, is helping her a great deal (Arbonne). One thing she finally figured out is that her metabolism was crap. She's never eaten much as long as I've known her so I sort of assumed the weight was due to drinks and/or desserts she'd have at home or maybe she was a closet binger. Come to find out, it wasn't either of those things - she didn't eat nearly enough!

I'm not sure if she's lost much weight (she doesn't say and I hate to pry) but she's sticking to the program so it must be working, because it's not cheap and she's not one to waste her time and/or money.

Anyway, the point is... Try eating small meals throughout the day. If you don't like breakfast much, at least have a yogurt cup or a piece of fruit or a spoonful of peanut butter. Then have a snack (or two) a couple hours later, then a light lunch, etc etc. Once you get into the habt, I think you'll find things will improve. Give it at least two months though, don't expect immediate results.
    The thing your doctor doesn't know is you'll probably never lose the weight if you keep doing the same thing you've been doing all along. You need a change!
  • EmmaShorter
    Options
    To add to the comment above about Breakfast, ever since I was a baby I never really ate a breakfast. I don't like cereal a whole heap (Certainly now I am dieting I don't like healthy cereal - the only cereals I like are things like cornflakes and rice crispies covered with sugar - obviously not a good idea!)
    When I went to University I often tried to follow weight watchers on my own (i.e. without going to a group/class) and I started forcing myself to have two slices of toast in the morning before my lectures as I felt a bit wierd around my flatmates who all ate breakfast. I never had the urge to eat first thing in the morning. Before long I would wake up starving for something to break my fast over the night which is what breakfast actually means.
    Now I am still not a great breakfast eater but I always make sure to eat at least a piece of fruit before I leave for work in the morning or even in the car on the way to work if I am really strapped for time.