1200 Calories?!

Options

Replies

• ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    mines say 1700 calories..i feel like that is a lot? is that normal?

Mine's 1700 as well.....but I'm set to maintain weight not lose. (5'1" , 110) I thought it was alot until i seen what my 6'2 man is allowed on a 2 lb loss a week program! lol
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have been using this site for two years now. For the first year and a half I ate 1200 calories and didn't eat back my exercise calories. In that time I lost 30 lbs, and then gained back 7. For the last 7 months I have been eating about 1350 calories and eating back my exercise calories and have lost 25 pounds. So, in two years I have lost 48 pounds eating between 1200-1350 calories a day. I would suggest that you eat back any exercise calories that you burn though. You have to feed your body to lose weight.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Question: Do you stick to your 1200 or do you eat back whatever you burn off exercising? Like I burn approx 400-600 cals a day, so If I didn't eat those back my net would only be 800 calories in a day..would that send my body into starvation mode?

I averaged 1200 cals per day, and along with 30-45 minutes of elliptical 1-2 x per day, 5 days per week, lost almost 70 lbs. I averaged about 3 lbs per week, some weeks 5 lbs. I'm at a comfortable 2500 cal maintenance and have kept the same weight for a year, even with reduced exercise. I lift weights 3-4x per week but rarely do cardio - although I need to start for general cardiovascular fitness.

With limited calories, ensure that the food you eat is nutrient dense. Lean protein and fiber with every meal to keep you full. It's amazing how much vegetables you can eat for so few calories. I used to go through a 9oz bag of spinich a day. Egg whites, tuna/salmon, chicken breast, greek yogurt, fruits, peppers, quinoa, almond milk, whey protein isolate, etc. Very little cheese, bread, potato, white rice, pasta. Lot's of water and 3-4 cups of green tea a day, plus vitamins.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Is everyone doing 1200 calories like 4'3" and 95lbs?
    Nope 5'0 175

Your bmr is 1,445 calories
  • Sthiara18
    Sthiara18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Nope 5'0 175

Your bmr is 1,445 calories
    I workout 5 days a week and set it to lose about 1.5 to 2 lbs per week. I'm doing fine on 1200 calories and I don't feel hungry at the end of the day. I just started eating 1200 last week I started out at 195 and was eating about 1300 and lost 17 lbs.
  • LatinaButterfly
    LatinaButterfly Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yep, 1200 for me and with low calorie food, ( I'm doing all natural fruits and veggies ) I can eat a good size amount and still lose weight. I do some kind of exercise, walking, dancing, etc., a few times a week and I am currently loosing 3 pounds every four days! I'm LOVING it! :D
  • ras21
    ras21 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've been doing this for 3 1/2 years and it is now just my lifestyle. I've lost 100 pound, gone from a 26 size to a 6. It works but also include lots of water, exercise and a good nights sleep. Sticking to a strict 1200 calories was key for me. I'm now 50 and have 7 5K's under my belt. Say focused and don't be afraid to push yourself. : )
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1,970 right now.

Is MFP going to adjust my goal automatically once I lose more weight? Or will I have to change it manually if I feel I could do with less calories?
  • nikkimoon1382
    nikkimoon1382 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, the more you exercise, the more cals you can eat!! : )
    Been on this a year and down 42lbs!
    It works! Stick to it... (and give yourself a free day once a week, not only will it keep you from feeling deprived, it will help you stay on track the rest of the week).
    Good luck!!
  • glassbully
    glassbully Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    that's great!
  • KellyEdwards85
    KellyEdwards85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i've been at 1200 cal since mid october. I exercise about 6 days a week and try to eat healthy, but if i want something sweet, i eat it. I've lost 14 lbs so far!! good luck
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1,970 right now.

Is MFP going to adjust my goal automatically once I lose more weight? Or will I have to change it manually if I feel I could do with less calories?

It ask you do you want to adjust after a certain amount of weight loss
  • yogajen64
    Options
    Can I ask how old you are and what type of exercise you are doing? I am a yoga teacher and personal trainer and would like to help you out if I can....It isn't all about calories either, so maybe I can give you a bit of food help as well?
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day for me.....most days I am under my goal (by 50-100 cals) but I try to eat close to it.
    I started Oct 17 2011 and I have lost 21 pounds. I have 17 more to go for my first goal. I will reevaluate then. I have some clothes I am trying to get back into and on Low Carb I fit into them at a certain weight. I can actually fit into them now, but can't breathe LOL but I am so much more weight wise so it will be interesting to see when I would be able to wear them and feel comfy.

I am 5'2 and :::mumble mumble 7 pounds:::
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The calorie allowance I've been given 1470, but I tend to try and stick with around 1200 or just over, as this seems to be a healthy amount of calories. I've lost 15lb since 31st October, but that's with at least 3 cheat weeks in there (a weeks holiday, christmas and a week spent with my boyfriend over new year, as we have a long distance relationship and he's an incredible cook!)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I used to eat about 1200 cals a day, when I was actively losing...now I think I"d feel like I was starving if I only ate 1200 a day..I eat about 1500 a day now that Im at maintainance weight! :)
  • tracey_rob83
    tracey_rob83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have 1750. I've still lost 2.8 kg in just over a month. Christmas included! And I'm not doing any exercise.
  • LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I am 5'2" and weight 130lbs (wait, make that 129 now) :P

I am at 1250. My lifestyle is set at lightly active.
  • JaymeLS
    JaymeLS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for 15 days and have lost 7 pounds. I was working out everyday but I will probably be losing it slower now since my heart doctor wants me to rest between days. On those days I'm going to try to stay busy doing things around the house.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 calories since 10.1.2011, have not gone over one single day, and lost 29 pounds so far.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!