1200 Calories?!

Options

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Understood. Good luck with your journey.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Understood. Good luck with your journey.

And good luck to you, looks like you are almost there! :happy:
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Hi. I too am doing 1200 calories a day and I've just been doing this a week. I will find out what I've lost (if any) on Saturday. I'm only going to weigh myself once a week.

What i have decided to do is to try my best to stick at the 1200 but know that if I go over it's ok because I know that 1500 calories is a really good base for a diet, as long as I don't go over the 1500 I'll be happy. so far I've gone over at the most 83 cals. 1 week in and feeling pretty positive so far. Good luck. Add me if you like my diary is open to friends. You need to open your food diary as well so people can see where your going right/wrong. x
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking all your water? That is the key for me
  • tenax
    tenax Posts: 97
    Options
    i'm at 1500 average right now, burning 3200 on average day..but i'm a big framed guy, 6ft, currently about 260 lb. working to get to 200. it would be interesting to see how my calorie needs drop as i get closer to my target weight (some say that a guy my size shouldn't eat only 1300 calories a day)
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have been eating between 1200-1500 per day since January 2011 and have lost 100 lbs. I only eat back my exercise calories if I am really hungry
  • monty_williams
    Options
    I'm 6' 1", started out at 268 and lost 70 in 3.5 months on ~1200/day. I didn't eat my exercise calories either, on most days I averaged 1800-2200 calorie deficit.

It's a manageable low-calorie target that works well, especially at first when you have alot to lose. With a high ratio of protein it seemed that muscle loss was minimized as my strength remained steady, and my energy level increased substantially due to increased fitness and not carry along so much excess fat. It seemed like I lost 10 lbs the first week and 5lb weeks weren't uncommon the first 2 months but as I got closer to my target it slowed to 2-3 lbs per week.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1,970 right now.

Is MFP going to adjust my goal automatically once I lose more weight? Or will I have to change it manually if I feel I could do with less calories?

It ask you do you want to adjust after a certain amount of weight loss

Thank you! :)
  • monty_williams
    Options
    I didn't eat back my exercise calories, I ended most days with a 1800+ caloric deficit. I met my goal and now eat a comfortable 2500+/- maintenance and have stayed there for a year.

Everyone is different, but I didn't have much trouble with "starvation" mode, or frustrating plateau's. There were some day's or a week where the scale didn't decrease as much as usual or as expected (digital scale with 10th lb increments), but it was typically water weight fluctuations and a day or two later it would drop more significantly. I weighed myself every morning and most nights, and kept a log- it kept me motivated seeing the results. I still weigh myself everyday in the mornings just out of habit.

Question: Do you stick to your 1200 or do you eat back whatever you burn off exercising? Like I burn approx 400-600 cals a day, so If I didn't eat those back my net would only be 800 calories in a day..would that send my body into starvation mode?

I averaged 1200 cals per day, and along with 30-45 minutes of elliptical 1-2 x per day, 5 days per week, lost almost 70 lbs. I averaged about 3 lbs per week, some weeks 5 lbs. I'm at a comfortable 2500 cal maintenance and have kept the same weight for a year, even with reduced exercise. I lift weights 3-4x per week but rarely do cardio - although I need to start for general cardiovascular fitness.

With limited calories, ensure that the food you eat is nutrient dense. Lean protein and fiber with every meal to keep you full. It's amazing how much vegetables you can eat for so few calories. I used to go through a 9oz bag of spinich a day. Egg whites, tuna/salmon, chicken breast, greek yogurt, fruits, peppers, quinoa, almond milk, whey protein isolate, etc. Very little cheese, bread, potato, white rice, pasta. Lot's of water and 3-4 cups of green tea a day, plus vitamins.
  • melcarroll
    melcarroll Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started a week and two days ago. I didnt go over 1200, worked out 4 days, and have drank a ton of water. So far, I have lost 4 pounds.
  • fishbaitkait
    fishbaitkait Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 1200 calorie a day thing for 5 months. As of today I have lost 40lbs. I also work out though and some days I eat a portion of those calories back. My advice is to listen to your body and if it's not enough food then up your intake. Also, give yourself a cheat day once in awhile. :)
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I tried doing 1200 calories, and felt like I was starving most of the time...so I upped it to 1400...plus I eat some of my exercise calories...seems to be working for me :)
  • hoffman1990
    hoffman1990 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am doing 1200 calories too. I have 67lbs to lose. I started on Jan 2 and I'm down almost 7lbs. I walked 5miles 2x and do 100 squats and crunches every day. I don't eat back my calories. I'm going to start working out more next week. I have to get healthy and bathing suit ready for a cruise in July.
  • hsmommyofmany
    Options
    i aim for 1560 according to MFP but generally struggle to get over 1000 with the exercise.
  • lauz329
    lauz329 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm at 1,970 right now.

Is MFP going to adjust my goal automatically once I lose more weight? Or will I have to change it manually if I feel I could do with less calories?

It ask you do you want to adjust after a certain amount of weight loss

Hi Jen, I am 22 years old and at the moment i must admit im not doing loads of exercise just walking about 2 days a week! i need to do more excerise i know!
  • lauz329
    lauz329 Posts: 11
    Options
    wow i wasnt expecting all of these replies!! Thanks so much :) Well it was my 7th day into the 1200 calories yesterday and ive lost 4pound! wasnt expecting that at all! plus i havent done that much exercise!!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1600 calories per day and I've lost 55 lbs in 10.5 months. I started out eating more than that but that's how much I eat on average now. My BMR is about 1500, and I exercise most days.
  • Richdogg38
    Options
    Nothing else helps me drop weight as much as staying in the 1,200 calorie range. As a matter of fact, I pledged to finish out this month at 1,200 every day and drop at least 10 lbs in the next 4 weeks. Based on my past experience 1,200 is the key for me to lose rapidly, 1,500 is gradual and 1,800 I maintain. I have to be honest it has been somewhat difficult but it is doable.
  • emgirl0405
    Options
    How are all not starving??
  • ryansmom33
    ryansmom33 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm suprised at all you 1200 a dayers. I'm 5'7" 128lbs and I'm at 1650 I run and do insanity and p90x. Maintance for me is 2150. But I guess if I wanted to lose 2lbs a week I'd be at 1150. But I think I'd be hungry at that low.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!