"Are you really enjoying that crap???"

Options
1235»

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for some really great turkey burgers if you want it!

but of course!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    There is nothing in the world wrong with liking salad!

If I have two bowls in front of me, one filled with salad/veg and the other with chocolate and chips, I know which one I'm going to eat. Not because I dont like the flavour of the 'junk food' but because I know how it will make me feel.

For me, taking a second to consciously think about the after effects of my food choices makes a huge difference. What might be a slightly less tasty option in terms of flavour becomes a whole lot more fulfilling and satisfying because you know you have made a good choice and arent going to sit around feeling like a beached whale afterwards!

i agree.......sometimes we "want" the not-so-good for us stuff, but the way i feel afterwards (YUCKY) makes choosing things that are better for me a lot easier!!!!!!! i have learned to have a different relationship with food and am very happy i made the change. i can have the "junk" once in a while, but prefer to put things in my body that make me feel good and energized instead of lethargic and wanting to sleep!!!!! : )
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    When you ditch the processed crap your taste changes. I honestly love a salad, with a little home prepared dressing, or vegies with butter on them... Real food is delicious. You will be laughing at her one day. That nasty food she eats will eventually catch up with her....
  • kirstysnan
    kirstysnan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I really feel like I have learned to like the healthier stuff. I find that when I eat "junk" that I used to eat, I literally feel sick. Not to say I don't still do it from time to time!

I agree.
    For a while I did a lot of juicing and really love the veg juices, with spinach a favourite. I was looking really energised with clear skin etc and people were asking me what I was doing. I couldn't believe it when a woman I know who is a mother of teenagers pulled a 'yuk' face and said 'how awful'. In her place I would have said 'What a way to get kids to eat vegetables' and given it a try.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I still eat all the same things i used to! Just in smaller amounts, or i exercise a hell of a lot more to get the extra cals i need! :D
  • xprincessxjanetx
    Options
    Absolutely! I have always ADORED fruit and vegetables but was too lazy to ever do anything with them. I NEVER used to have my 5 a day but now I have at least that amount, mostly more. Today I have had 10 fruit and veg (mostly in soup I made) and it was absolutely delicious!
  • kirstysnan
    kirstysnan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    And I think freshly ground black pepper is one of the most underrated spices on the planet.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Skinny ≠ healthy. She'll die first.
  • perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love healthy food. It does not have to be bland or tasteless just because it is low cal. Slim people may scoff at healthy food but they don't realize that just because they are physically thinner doesn't mean their arteries are any less clogged than ours. Everyone needs to eat healthy. I wasn't ever this big. I became like this because I ate all that fast food and high calorie "crap".Am loving the way my mind and body are feeling right now!! Thanks MFP and all my wonderful friends for inspiring me!!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    And I think freshly ground black pepper is one of the most underrated spices on the planet.

I am not a fan of black pepper, but I think I'll give it another shot and see if it helps add some variety
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    The other day I had 6 ounces of organic spring mix and two chopped roma tomatoes tossed in 2 tablespoons of dressing and I loved every minute of it. I enjoy every sliced tomato, every bag of steamed broccoli, every braeburn apple, and every zero calorie sparkling water I consume. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't eat it.
  • emberlatrella
    emberlatrella Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating healthy and just found mfp yesterday but have had a hart time losing we9ight , im hopeing that this will help if i keep track of what im eating anf how many calories food actually has in it instead of under guessing like always . I have noticed that the healthier i eat the more hungry i am , i did really well until late last night and had cereal and a blt as i seemd starved . Has this happened to anyone else and how do you guys deal with that ? Im afarid if i dont get that spurt of the moment craving under control i wont lose any weight at all
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I would put a smug, satisfied look on my face and say "Why, yes. Yes I am!" and then keep on eating. To deal with passive-aggressive people sometimes you have to play a little bit of their game....and besides, once she hits 40 or so, her metabolism will probably change and she'll have to count calories and eat like the rest of us.

Yep, I was that skinny girl. Except I would never have said something that snotty to anyone. And I don't have a sister, just skinny brothers. Then I got old, and it is really hard to go from eat whatever you want all your life to having to be careful and watch what you eat.
  • TerynAshley
    TerynAshley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In all honestymiss a lot of the foods I used to enjoy. I just think about how crappy I feel after I eat junk or overeat and it has kept me focused!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    When you ditch the processed crap your taste changes. I honestly love a salad, with a little home prepared dressing, or vegies with butter on them... Real food is delicious. You will be laughing at her one day. That nasty food she eats will eventually catch up with her....

It does. And when I'm off the crap and eating healthy, then I can actually smell this unappealing smell when I go through the cookie/snack aisle or the cereal aisle at the store. And it makes me hurry on through and not linger to buy anything. Has anybody else noticed that?
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    To add extra "punch" to food I have bought myself treats that add a lot of pizzazz to my food. They may be a little more expensive but you don't have to use very much to have a TON of flavor and you can really savor your food.

Goat Feta- sprinkle it on salad, put it in roasted peppers, bruschetta etc. Otherwise I eat way too much cheese just to "taste it".

Mango/Chipolte Rub - I use this on shrimp, fish, and chicken don't need too much and it's fantastic make a mango salsa or chutney and you are laughing. SO GOOD.

Fresh Rosemary, thyme, mint, chives, - roast potatoes, roasts, veggies anything with fresh herbs tastes soo much better then dried. Also use fresh herbs for all my dressing with olive oil, kefir, and fresh squeezed lemon juice. YUM.

I also put low sodium broth instead in with my h20 when making my brown rice, quinoa, millet, or amaranth. Dice some veggies in your golden.

Last thing. Buying dried mushrooms. At costco they have a container of mushrooms for like $16ish bucks and it's portobells, cremini,....a couple other kinds, not your average button mushrooms. You just soak them and then you can use them in your cooking but I also like to take the water from when I soak them and use them for a broth base for soups or cooking my rice etc.

JUST BE CREATIVE. You will surprise yourself.
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a brother and friends who were like that also but now that they are in their late 20's and early 30's they are gaining weight and watch what they eat! Going to your question, I enjoy my food but it is not lower in flavor at all. I like using spices (fresh ground pepper, paprika, etc) in all of my meals.

Also, I wouldn't call what you described as "crap." I think i'm going to have somehting like that for dinner tonight!! Keep up the good work!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my crap.

I don't think about calories as much as I think about a healthy balanced meal. I eat whole grains, vegetables fats, lean meats, fish and plenty of vegetables, cooked with a variety of herbs and spices. I've eaten this way for decades and I think my meals are usually delicious (I'll admit to a few horrible experimental dishes). I often get asked for recipes so I think others like them too.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    WIth the way I eat I do enjoy the stuff I eat :) I have given up a lot of my "old friends" or have them very very rarely such as donuts, bacon egg and cheese croissants, etc. but generally I am good with my diet. Now, I am not nearly as strict as a lot of others I have seen on here. I eat out and have things I just pick different things if I do that than I used to. For example the other day I went out and got something and instead of getting fries, I didn't and honestly I didn't miss them! Where I am now, if I don't eat the right mix of carbs, proteins and fats.. I feel like crap so I just try to balance it all out :)

If I were eating a lot of veggies and other stuff though I wouldn't be full probably. They never fill me up :( I wish they did :(