Couch to 5k Plan? Anyone done it?

Options
I came across the Couch to 5k Plan online and it intrigued me. I intend on starting to jog this weekend and the more I read about it the more I think it may work well for me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done it and how well they did?

Replies

• jjennings0424
    jjennings0424 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did it and it was awesome! It led me to run my first 5k!!! Awesome APP! :)
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    I did it as well. I loved it. It got me to my first 5K and has led to a pretty fun running addiction.
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started last march and completed it a few months after. I loved it and I still run to this day. I am currently training for a half marathon.
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i'm currently doing it. just started. there are alot of folks on here who have done it.
  • cmh_34
    cmh_34 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try it out.
  • ddd_davis
    Options
    I just started this week. I'm loving it so far.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I also completed it. Running is a *****, but the program is good. There is a whole section on the message boards devoted to it. You might want to look at that and get some ideas as well.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    I did it while losing weight originally, and was able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes when I hit 220.

I loved it!
  • aigo86
    aigo86 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am currently on day 3 of C25K :) I am running a 5K with 6 others on June 3rd and I cannot wait :) It will be 3 days before my 26th Birthday and I am so excited I will be able to run before turning 26! I have always hated running and have began to enjoy it again!

522328.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn't expect so many positive responses! I'm definitely doing it...thanks guys!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Do it! I've 'graduated' and just yesterday I ran 6.3km non stop.
  • tiara_amethyst
    tiara_amethyst Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm at week 3 and signed up for 1st 5k on 4th March. Being new to it I can't really give you a review but usually I go headfirst into exercise and push my self too far too soon only to quit after 3 days, C25K has been achievable and with the programme constantly changing you feel really motivated every time you complete a stage/week.
  • chodgi06
    chodgi06 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i've done it twice through a running shop. i was so far out of shape, that i never ran the full 5k, but it helped, and sped up my completion time significantly. the interval training works, and you build cardio fitness faster than you would think. you will probably have a lot of aches and pains the first few weeks (your body will revolt!), just keep at it. the first bit is the hardest. even when you are later in the program, it takes a while into each "run" to loosen up and feel a rhythm. i recommend, if doing it on your own, to use an app on your phone, or ideally a garmin type watch. helps time intervals and let you know how far you've gone. i found a good app that i really like for iphone for around $2

also look for one of the plans that has you starting with intervals that are like "jog 30 seconds, walk 60 seconds" for twenty minutes, not the ones that ask you to go out and jog for 20 minutes to start off with. that will defeat you pretty quickly.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Im working on it now. I have never ran before but this is actually working! im taking 24 weeks to do it instead of 12. I LOVE IT!!! AWSOME CALORIE BURN!
  • lukeout007
    Options
    I am currently on day 3 of C25K :) I am running a 5K with 6 others on June 3rd and I cannot wait :) It will be 3 days before my 26th Birthday and I am so excited I will be able to run before turning 26! I have always hated running and have began to enjoy it again!

522328.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

That's my problem too. Congratulations on doing it right before your birthday! I want to be able to do it by the time my second child is born in August. Hopefully sooner but I think at the least that gives me a realistic goal.
  • spasso21
    Options
    Great app - ran my first 5k in December and am now preparing for a 10k in July!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Am on Week 7 Day 1. Awesome program!
  • afwood
    afwood Posts: 6
    Options
    I did the couch to 5K. I ran my first 5K in November 2011. I felt so good crossing that finish line! Good luck
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I just "graduated" last weekend! It's great! I have so much more endurance than I expected. There's a really great Group here on MFP for support and information you should also look into: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k.

Good luck and just take it at your pace - don't be disappointed to repeat a day or week! :happy:
  • lukeout007
    Options
    i've done it twice through a running shop. i was so far out of shape, that i never ran the full 5k, but it helped, and sped up my completion time significantly. the interval training works, and you build cardio fitness faster than you would think. you will probably have a lot of aches and pains the first few weeks (your body will revolt!), just keep at it. the first bit is the hardest. even when you are later in the program, it takes a while into each "run" to loosen up and feel a rhythm. i recommend, if doing it on your own, to use an app on your phone, or ideally a garmin type watch. helps time intervals and let you know how far you've gone. i found a good app that i really like for iphone for around $2

also look for one of the plans that has you starting with intervals that are like "jog 30 seconds, walk 60 seconds" for twenty minutes, not the ones that ask you to go out and jog for 20 minutes to start off with. that will defeat you pretty quickly.

What app is it? I downloaded one called iMapMyRun that I haven't tried yet. I got the free version but I saw there was a $2 one as well.