Couch to 5k Plan? Anyone done it?

Options

Replies

• ALHicks
    ALHicks Posts: 145
    Options
    I am currently doing it right now and if you have a smart phone there is an app to it that I love. it cost me about $3.00 but the nice thing about it is that it plays my playlist from my downloaded songs and then interrupts my music by saying "jog now" or "walk now". I love it and I am finding every day I am running a little easier and I am gaining more confidence. My first 5k is in March so I am hoping to run the whole thing.
  • ALHicks
    ALHicks Posts: 145
    Options
    The app on Blackberry is called "Couck 2 5K"
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 of c25k. It has been really good so far. The intervals make it easy to run cause you only have to do it for a little bit with small increases each week. This week (week 4) is when the pain wasn't as much as my body became adjusted to it. I have been writing a blog about going through c25k if you would like you can read about my experiences there.
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Six weeks into it and I LOVE it. Structured enough to train, loose enough to let you push harder if you want.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    It is a great plan to help with beginner running (I am still a beginner as well). My bit of advice from experience is go AS SLOW as you need to during each running segment. If you try going fast, you will burn out early and not be able to complete each segment, and that is a let down. I have "ran" as slow as 3.8 mph just to keep my heart rate down. GOOD LUCK!!
  • bdaves
    bdaves Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started with it this past July and completed a 1/2 marathon last weekend. The whole experience was one of the best things I have done for myself both mentally and physically!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 of c25k. It has been really good so far. The intervals make it easy to run cause you only have to do it for a little bit with small increases each week. This week (week 4) is when the pain wasn't as much as my body became adjusted to it. I have been writing a blog about going through c25k if you would like you can read about my experiences there.

That would be fantastic. Can you send me the link?
  • momaureen
    momaureen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great program; I just started day one today. Try to do it as planned and not push ahead, in order to prevent injuries and burnout. Also, if you can't keep up, just stay with each stage as long as needed before you move on. For me starting is always the hardest. Good luck.
  • kimray75
    kimray75 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing it. I'm on week three day three. This is actually my second time around doing the program. It's great.
  • Lindseysund8
    Options
    Im doing it now. But one thing id like to point out is that you dont need to be scared to repeat weeks or pause even. I took about 3 weeks off after week 2 and ran 5 minutes today! So just stick with it but go at your own pace. Its really great for endurance. Good luck!
  • bdaves
    bdaves Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is a great plan to help with beginner running (I am still a beginner as well). My bit of advice from experience is go AS SLOW as you need to during each running segment. If you try going fast, you will burn out early and not be able to complete each segment, and that is a let down. I have "ran" as slow as 3.8 mph just to keep my heart rate down. GOOD LUCK!!

Absolutely! Also don't be afraid to repeat certain weeks over if you need to. Instead of 9 weeks I think it took me 12.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's awesome! I finished it in December and have now started the 10K one.. Good times!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did it! I found that I had to repeat week 7 a couple of times but then when I got past that, it was fine.
    I downloaded a podcast, DJ Beatsmith, and they did techno music and a chime when you were to switch back and forth. I like techno so it was good, but I think there are programs that let you listen to your own music and notify you when to switch from walk to run and back.
    After couch to 5k, I did gateway to 8k and then I started a half marathon training plan before I realized I really don't like running that long! 5k is just right:)
  • xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am currently on week 2 :)
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 also -- can't say I love it yet - I am so not a runner. but I will keep going and see if it helps me.
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner but now I am! Thanks C25K
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    last year in march i ran a 8k and then this past thanksgiving i did a 5k.. never really trained for it specifically though .. was middle of the road relative to others my age so i thought i did pretty good ..now im training to beat my time from last year because i got the fever to run in them things ..good luck with your goals!!
  • Calvinator24
    Calvinator24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Started C25K in March 2010. Ran a 5K in May 2010. Did a 20K in September 2010, Half Marathon in November 2010, and a full Marathon in December 2011. Repeated that calendar this year as well as another 5K in February.

When I started, I weighed 257 pounds. Wasn't even aware of MFP until September 2011. Lost 20 pounds during marathon training in 2010 but gained 13 of that back between December and June 2011. Now, with running and MFP, I am down almost 40 pounds.
  • Paxnyokes
    Paxnyokes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nothing to lose but weight. Did the program a couple of years ago and still run. My last race was the Thanksgiving 8K turkey trot. My only problem is that, I'm still a slow runner but I can go the distance.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I went from being a complete non runner when I started it on October 1 and couldn't even run a quarter mile without stopping, to running my first 5K on October 30, nonstop. I love it. I think it works great.