Critique this advice from the trainer at the gym for me

Options
124»

Replies

• BuildABetterMe
    Options

Your attitude regarding injury is kinda scary. I base that on you saying "blah blah blah" as if you were bored with this person's very realistic concern about serious injury.

I don't say that to be a butthead. I say it because I get the feeling you're excited to get in the gym and get going, and that's GREAT! Just remember that it's a process, just like everything else. Go slow, don't rush, and do it RIGHT.

Uh what? If you think I have a bad attitude toward injury, then you've obviously read my post wrong or I've miscommunicated. It sounded like an EXCUSE to shuffle me away from free weights.

I'm a Trauma Critical Care nurse, I have an extreme respect for safety, ffs.

I'm trying to discern the bull**** from what could be reasonable advice from him. As a newb, I was I was hoping for some endorsement of his recs or if I should be looking elsewhere. Not for you to make assumptions about my attitude.

The doctor shopping comments are inane. But thanks for your helpfulness.

And here I thought I complimented you on your desire to get into the gym quickly and get going :( Certainly was not judging your work ethic... my apologies if you were offended.

I would have the same concern if I boarded a plane and heard the pilot checking off the safety list: "blah blah blah" ;)

The doctor shopping comment wasn't directed toward you in any way. It was directed to the person who said you didn't respect the trainer's opinion, so you should go elsewhere. And it was, again, followed with a compliment that it's great you're eager to get going with weight training.

I read your original post to mean that the trainer only advised against heavy weights during an initial period. If they were dead set against heavy weights at ANY time, and trying to move you away from them at all, then that changes thing all together!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I lifted weights for years in my teens and 20s, although I am not a trainer, I suspect your trainer is at least in part wanting you to learn the moves first. That means starting out on free weights you want to start light. I would bypass the machines as they do nothing to help my establish good form on free weights. However, for the first while do free weight exercises with very light weights while working on making sure your form is correct. Depending on your current strength, you may need to do some exercises with no weight at all as even an empty bar might be too much. However, once you have the form down properly, probably 2-4 weeks, I would increase the weight and go heavy with lower reps. The big key is getting the form right. I would also focus on learning compound lifts, that is lifts that use more than one muscle groups, squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over rows, and overhead press. They will give a good overall workout. The other stuff can come later.
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of doing pump class? They do the exercises mentioned and they're free weighted. You go at your own pace and build up.