My Plateau Nutrition Story, Learn from my mistakes.

Options

Replies

• johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs four years ago in short order by simply cycling four days a week and restricting total calories to 1,650 daily while paying no attention to carbs, protein, sodium etc. I didn't know about those things then. After losing the weight I bumped my calories to probably 2,200 per day and slowly gained some weight back. Then I joined MFP and went to around 1,600 gross calories daily and added running and strength training to the cycling.

I lost only about a pound a month but that was fine since I was no longer looking to lose a huge amount. After 10 months and losing 11 lbs I read all the posts about eating more to lose more so I bumped my calories to around 1,850 (knowing that I gain if I eat over 2,000.) Over six weeks I gained 4 lbs. While that is not a huge gain, it still represents four months work to lose it previously. I have been told to hang in there and it will drop but folks that is tough advice to follow.

I know that I can lose (slowly) doing what I did before. Losing more by eating more is appealing but highly suspect to me based on my experience. I’m thinking that if I were to continue eating more and continue to gain I can wipe out a years work in a few weeks. My body has demonstrated over time that I gain weight if I eat my exercise calories. I'm inclined to go back to what has worked for me - restrict calories to 1,650 gross, get lots of protein and enough carbs to fuel my activities, and exercise like crazy. Thoughts?

PS: I don't want to hijack the thread, it just seems like a lot of people here have had success doing what the op did and I could use some help along these lines!
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm increasing my calories. 1200 just feels too low for the amount of working out I do. So hoping that this works for me too!
  • MaynardLD50
    MaynardLD50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't think the original poster's following this anymore guys- he hasn't been back in a couple of weeks. So from what I've read and understand it sounds like the calculators and calculations he's posted are giving you what you should be netting (therefore, eat your calories back from exercise beacuse even if you take in say 2000 after exercise you're still having the deficit in your diet so you'd be netting say 1600 or whatever). I saw someone ask why not just shoot for 2000 a day (or whatever your higher maintenence level calories are) instead of exxtering exercise calories and eating them- well to me, that's not how MFP works. So, I suppose if you want to try it that way and not add exercise calories you could but I haven't seen anything explained that way. It doesn't seem like that'd be as exact of a way to do it. Seems like it'd be too easy to exercise too much and be netting too little. This way you're always netting what you should be using the MFP diary. Also from what I've read the closer you get to your goal weight the more your net calorie goal should get closer and closer to your maintenence level calories (for example you lose 10 lbs, maybe recalculate and only do a 25% deficit and so on until you're at maintenence level calories).
    But I just posted a page ago on 14? I'm still here, just crazy busy with real life :)
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great Story. I wish more people realized that your body can't survive on 1200 calories and it definitely can't build muscle and strength.
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs four years ago in short order by simply cycling four days a week and restricting total calories to 1,650 daily while paying no attention to carbs, protein, sodium etc. I didn't know about those things then. After losing the weight I bumped my calories to probably 2,200 per day and slowly gained some weight back. Then I joined MFP and went to around 1,600 gross calories daily and added running and strength training to the cycling.

I lost only about a pound a month but that was fine since I was no longer looking to lose a huge amount. After 10 months and losing 11 lbs I read all the posts about eating more to lose more so I bumped my calories to around 1,850 (knowing that I gain if I eat over 2,000.) Over six weeks I gained 4 lbs. While that is not a huge gain, it still represents four months work to lose it previously. I have been told to hang in there and it will drop but folks that is tough advice to follow.

I know that I can lose (slowly) doing what I did before. Losing more by eating more is appealing but highly suspect to me based on my experience. I’m thinking that if I were to continue eating more and continue to gain I can wipe out a years work in a few weeks. My body has demonstrated over time that I gain weight if I eat my exercise calories. I'm inclined to go back to what has worked for me - restrict calories to 1,650 gross, get lots of protein and enough carbs to fuel my activities, and exercise like crazy. Thoughts?

PS: I don't want to hijack the thread, it just seems like a lot of people here have had success doing what the op did and I could use some help along these lines!

Do you strength train at all? And when I say strength train I don't mean using 5 lbs dumbbells lol. I mean really lift and build muscle? Sounds like you may be helped by building more muscle to increase metabolism and thus burn more fat.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Do you strength train at all? And when I say strength train I don't mean using 5 lbs dumbbells lol. I mean really lift and build muscle? Sounds like you may be helped by building more muscle to increase metabolism and thus burn more fat.

I do P90X 2/3 times a week and use dumbbells from 20 to 35lbs depending on the exercise plus do all the pull ups, push ups, etc. Unfortunately I am an older male and have trouble building muscle due to low testosterone. Aging is lousy, but as they say it’s better than the alternative!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    But I just posted a page ago on 14? I'm still here, just crazy busy with real life :)

haha sorry, missed it! :o)
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    edited to add--I have a thyroid disorder (goiter), which MAY cause decreased resting metabolism. I do zig zag (method I do is 1430 is the average daily net calories, but reviewed as a week. 2 days, I am 300 calories below 1430 and 1 day amd 500 calories over. I don't stress the '2 days low/1 day high/repeat', I just focus on the week being below 1430 and I have highs and lows for the week. I preset my 'high days' when I know that it will be a high calorie day or a day I can't exercise.)

How do you preset your calories for the "high days"? I'm usually 500 over the day after my big exercise day (strength training followed by Zumba) but that's because I'm usually down the 500 on the workout day. I finish too late at night to even think about eating back 700 calories.

What I mean by 'preset' is that I have place holders for my exercise and food diary to help make the zig zag easier. I have 300 calorie zigzag placeholders for the food diary (for my low days) and I have a 500 calorie ZZ placeholder for my exercise diary (for my high days). (They aren't in the MFP lists, so you will have to make a new entry for yourself...my diary is open, so you can look at it for future days to see what I mean by this)

At the beginning of the month, I look at anything that I know is going to be a bad day or a non-exercise day and I plug in the 500 calorie placeholder on those days (to have them reserved as my high calorie days). Then I plug in the rest of the days with the food or the exercise diary placeholders to try to get 5 low days and 2 high days on each week. (typically I have the high day 500 exercise holder on Wednesdays and Saturdays and the low day 300 food holder on the other days...but if there are holidays/camping/birthdays/etc, then it may change for that week).

In case you aren't catching on...putting the 500 exercise placeholder makes the calculator think that you have burned 500 calories, therefore your goal calorie intake is upped by 500 calories to make your net zero, which, in turn, causes this to be your high calorie day. Same for the food...the 300 food placeholder makes the calculator think that you have eaten 300 more calories, therefore you goal calorie intake is decreased by 300 calories to make your net zero.

You don't want your set goal net for the day to be 1200 calories, because this will make your low days be 900. I changed my 'loss per week goal' to 1 pound, instead of 2...this changed my net goal from 1200 to 1430. Because you have 5 low days and 2 high days, this makes my average daily net 1350...so, even though my setup loss goal is set to 1 pound/week, it ends up coming out at 1.5 pound/week. (but I did this to get over my plateau, so I wasn't losing anyways...)

Hope this helps
  • Fergie2154
    Options
    Not to take anything from your story - but get real people...

I stopped reading responses at the first page....

Thanks - no wonder I have stayed the same for the last 5 days; and wow - thats why I plateau'd this week....

You are likely to stay the same for 5 days and a plaueau is not a week.....

But whatever,.....

This was great info, but yes, a lot of the responses had me a bit puzzled. 5 days at the same weight is not a plateau.....

...... So true. ....many will come back and say "I started eating more calories after doing the calculations for my body weight/height/gender and after eating the correct amount of calories for 1 week, the scale still didn't move. So, they go right back to starving themselves. Thinking that this "couldn't" be right.... My body MUST be different from everyone else when it comes to what our body needs to function correctly.
  • nancilu
    nancilu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Options

I do P90X 2/3 times a week and use dumbbells from 20 to 35lbs depending on the exercise plus do all the pull ups, push ups, etc. Unfortunately I am an older male and have trouble building muscle due to low testosterone. Aging is lousy, but as they say it’s better than the alternative!

Haha, very true! Maybe try upping to to 3-4 days a week and see if that works for you? I haven't tried P90x but I have heard good things. My brother is doing it now so I'll probably try it after he finishes.
  • danielleneumann
    danielleneumann Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal calculates your calories lower so you DO eat back your calories. If you use myfitnesspal's recommendations, which I discourage using (Sorry MFP admins) you will eat back those calories you burned. I suggest you use the Katch McCardle method, factor in your HONEST exercise patterns and just stick to the "Fat Loss" recommendation. If you do the math long handed way you stick to the 10% 20% 30% deficit you chose.

I keep asking about this and get conflicting responses. I'm hitting close to my 1430 calorie goal everyday. The only days I really go over are on days after really hard workouts, Mondays make me eat more on Tuesday and Wed makes me eat more on Thursday. Both of those work out days I'm burning over 500 calories. I don't end up eating it all back, but about half. I'm seeing slow and steady loss of 1-2 a week though I'm just starting out really (just over 7 pounds lost toward a 30 pound goal). Also, I'm still hitting my weekly goals dead on. I'm always so unsure of myself.
  • ekim724
    ekim724 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, big help to me.
  • rebeccaboise
    rebeccaboise Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • schmorla
    schmorla Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this and see how it works.

Very nervous though.
  • sparetirebegone
    sparetirebegone Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TinaVanHoecke
    Options
    I have had the book burn the fat feed the muscle for many years. I love it. It is great for building lean body mass and loosing the fat.
    I have the transformation pictures to prove it. I was eating a lot of food and I build fabulous muscle and could fit into a size 4. Definately don't starve yourself.
  • Brynne_Kathryn
    Brynne_Kathryn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've read all million and a half pages in this thread, and I'm still confused.

If you do the long-hand math or the calculator at FreeDieting.com, is the recommended daily calorie intake you end up with your NET or your GROSS caloric intake?

Do I eat back my exercise calories or do I eat only my calculated amount?

Bear with me.
    I used the website, I hate math :P.

My maintenance amount is 2458. Fat loss is 1966. Extreme fat loss is 1475. Let's say I go with Maintenance - 30%. This gives me 1720 cals.

I'm currently on week 5 of TurboFire, and I love it. According to MFP 30 minutes burns 408 cals.

So on days I do my workouts, do I eat 1720 cals or do I eat 2128+?

Please help! My boyfriend and I are both trying to exercise and eat better. We both work in construction and that means long hours and erratic mealtimes. After 2 months of next to zero scale movement, we're both getting frustrated. Coming across this thread was a godsend. On days I didn't exercise, my 1200 calorie goal was terrible, I always felt deprived and hungry or I would over eat and then feel guilty. Even on days I did exercise for those extra calories, I didn't feel great. I've been tired all the time and always on the edge of feeling a cold coming on and this might explain why.

And again in case all my rambling obscured the core question, is the number we get after the calculation NET or GROSS calories?
  • epurucker82
    epurucker82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    AGREE...I bought a HRM and when I'm doing P90X I'm lucky to burn 300 calories...even using Insanity it's maybe 400. I see people saying they burned 1000 calories doing these programs and I don't get it. At my weight of 236 lbs I'm sure I'm burning more then a fit person just because of the weight. I learned that using MFP calorie estimates are a bad idea in general....