My Plateau Nutrition Story, Learn from my mistakes.

Options

Replies

• pamelapeldo
    pamelapeldo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks for the post
  • yomommaz
    yomommaz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!

I've been struggling with how to balance growing my LBM while dropping the fat. Not surprisingly, I started out trying to eat under my calorie allotment every day. However, after reading Venuto's blog posts on his site, I've upped my calorie intake and have been seeing the scale move in the right direction. Also, I feel strong in the gym.

Question -- how are you tracking your body fat % / lean body mass? I have a scale that purports to provide body fat % but I question the accuracy.
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    sizzlinoverthefat Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Very good advice for anyone looking to lose weight. I've also experience hitting a plateau with my weight refusing to budge. I was miserable the whole day and had so little energy that I thought I was getting sick or that something was wrong with me. Anyway, I bumped up my calories up from 1,400 to 1,900 and within 3 days I was feeling like my old self again. A few strong attempts at the gym and my weight went down again. Feeding the muscle is really very important!

Ryan Parker
    Rock-Abs.net - How I Lost my Belly

I've been trying to tell this to my daughter too! She's the one who hooked me up with MFP 2 months ago. (5 days befor thankgiving if you can beleive it!) anywhoo I'm attempting to post this on her home page of MFP!
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    Options
    BUMP:flowerforyou:
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    Options
    bump
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    Options
    this needs to be bumped, ok I got bump happy, but seriously this needs to stay on message board!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I agree! I lost another pound this week on my second week of higher calories.. YAY!!! I couldnt wait three weeks I HAD to get on the scale to see what was happening. Plus netting a couple hundred more everyday- FABULOUS!! :o)
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Great post;)
  • NorseMaiden
    NorseMaiden Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Eat more people!!

I think you'll find there are laws against eating people. :noway:

Soylent Green is People! (sorry that was really obscure) I just couldn't help myself.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!!
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post! Thanks for sharing...
  • deblc6836
    Options
    Eat more people!!

I think you'll find there are laws against eating people. :noway:

Was thinking the same thing. :bigsmile:

Punctuation is everything!

I'm hungry. Let's eat Grandma.
    Punctuation saves lives.
  • Manysongs
    Manysongs Posts: 137
    Options
    Thank for posting! It looks like I need to eat more. I generally stay at 1300 or less & I exercise about 6 days a week for 30 - 60 min. burning 300- 400 calories according to my hrm. I have been the same wt. for weeks!!! The scales don't budge. 220 or 221 no more, no less! Very frustrating for me after working so hard. So going to look at increasing my calorie intake. :)
  • lynette111
    lynette111 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have been totally stuck, in fact even gaining some, since I've been on MFP. I've finally concluded that I've probably been undereating for a long time, for years in fact. I'm very active, I run 6 days a week, plus a couple of Pump classes. I had no idea how I could not only not lose while in a deficit, but even gain! I have tried lots of different things, but I don't think I ever tried actually sticking with 'eating my exercise calories back' for long enough to see it start to swing the other way.

I've increased my calories recently and it is so good to not be so distracted by hunger all the time.

But my question is... I've worked out where I should be with the Katch-McCardle calculator, do you think that I should just aim for that number (which for me is 1850) regardless of the exercise I've done for the day? Or should I go for say a reasonably small deficit of about 0.7 lbs a week and eat back all of my exercises? If I do it the second day I am ridiculously hungry on my one rest day a week, especially as it's the day after a long run, which is usually a 'hungry day'.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I was recommended to read "Feed the Muscle, Burn the Fat" by Tom Venuto to learn the basic pillars of diet, muscles, fat, carbohydrates and overall just how our bodies work. BEST THING I EVER DID!

He's my HERO!!! I just finished his 2011 Holiday Burn the Fat Challenge last week and I lost soooo much weight and inches during the time when everyone around me was either gaining or staying the same.

Tom Venuto is awesome and every word of his book rings true in my daily life. I wouldn't be where I'm at now with my health and fitness if it wasn't for Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. I recommend that book to everyone!!!

Edited to add: Ever since following his book and methods and not doing it the MFP way (all that weird "eat back exercise calories stuff) my weight and fat has been dropping off me so fast. I used the calculators to discover my TDEE, and then I eat around 75% of that total for fat loss. I'm NOT saying the MFP method doesn't work, all I am saying is that my body composition started to change for the better...not just pounds dropped on the scale...when I started doing Tom Venuto's methods.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have to come back when I have more time to read thru and ask some of my own questions!
  • robbiefreeland
    robbiefreeland Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Absolutely GREAT post! I think MFP should take some of your info and add it to a FAQ section so it can be retained permanently for others to refer to when they get stuck on a plateau!! Very good advice and information. Thanks a TON for posting this.
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Lyadeia- I have that book, but I know that it's really aimed more at the strength training side of things. Do you think I could still benefit from it even though I'm heavily a cardio girl? I need to have a look through it again.
  • divinesoul
    divinesoul Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou: