My Plateau Nutrition Story, Learn from my mistakes.

Replies

• i didn't read all the responses, so maybe i missed this. but how do you calculate your percentage of body fat?
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Bump to keep track of!
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    bump
  • I'm VERY new to this & think this is a great topie. I dont have time to read all this at the moment & seen someone wrote "bump" to read later. How do I do this
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Interesting information. There are simpler ways (probably rougher) to calculate how many calories you need.

In any case, I think MFP is on the low end. 1200 a day is not sustainable for me over the long term. I use it as a guideline and do my best. But so far, I haven't been exercising, other than short walks. For me, I build muscle easily (especially for a woman) and I'm not interested in going in that direction again.

That said, I am trying to eat more whole foods, less processed. A majority of people will never need a protein shake, so I don't go there. Eating a balanced diet (pick a pyramid, or Seventh Day Adventist or Mediterranean diet) and you'll do fine.

As for refining my diet, I didn't become fat eating too much fruit, or too much steak. For me it was sweets. And, taming my sweet tooth seems to be the key to any weight loss for me.

When I was in WW years ago, the common wisdom was if you reach a plateau, eat a cheeseburger. It's actually worked for me at different times.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    BUMP!!
  • jodren11
    jodren11 Posts: 18 Member
    Bump
  • jodren11
    I'm new to this too, and was wondering the same thing, so I tried something out. Replying to the post adds it for future reference on your site.
  • jodren11
    I'm VERY new to this & think this is a great topie. I dont have time to read all this at the moment & seen someone wrote "bump" to read later. How do I do this

I'm new to this too, and was wondering the same thing, so I tried something out. Replying to the post adds it for future reference on your site. (also just learned how to do this :)
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Thanks - I'm trying to take your advice and eat my exercise calories... hard to make the switch mentally!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Ive only been doing this for 3 days so am very new to this.

My net for yesterday was -510.

My intake was meant to be 2080 but i cycled to and from work which burnt off 3000 calories...

Should i there for be eating more or as i have just started not worry about it at the mo?
    How do you know your burning 3000 calories cycling? I began cycling over the summer and I wear a heart rate monitor almost everyday and barely ever came close to 1400 after an hour and a half of hard cycling. Not calling you a liar, so don't take offense :) Just saying don't rely of MFP estimates for there stuff. Want to figure it out really? Go buy this and you'll thank me every day :)

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Watch-Silver/dp/B001U0OFDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326397406&sr=8-1
    This will help you keep track of calories burned.

Now if you truly are burning 3000 calories and you end at a net -600 you're body and it's organs are eating themselves for energy. My suggestion if you are burning 3000 calories, which i'm still very leery of, you better start eating a metric ton.

My husband cycles professionally. He uses both a heart rate monitor and a power tap wheel to know the EXACT power output and calories burned. Expensive equipment. Using just one though usually overestimates. He burns 2500-3000 calories during a century of hard riding. His body is very efficient though. WHen he was 100 lbs heavier his power output was different because he heart wasn't as efficient and he had to take his weight into consideration. DEffinitely get the heart rate monitor. I do a fair amount of strength trainig and I haven't figured out how to get my extra calories for it. I think I need to take my own advise and get one too. :flowerforyou:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    He has to eat 4000 a day to keep a live now with his training program.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Great Information & Advice - Thanks for posting !!!
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    bump
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    I am not sure how to do this. I am not able to exercise at the moment due to knee issues. I am being told by MFP to eat 1450. I am 37 years old, female, 5’5, @ 193lbs. I don’t know my fat percentage, but I am sure it is high. I must say, I am very confused on all of this. I have been mainly overweight all my life and would like to go about weight loss the right way for a change. It takes me forever to lose weight and I never seem to maintain weight loss for more than 6 months to a year.

Any advice?
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Wow what a response! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was/is/did suffer from this same problem. I'll gladly answer all of your questions here
    THANK YOU for posting this. This is what I've been going through. I have 9.5 lbs to my goal & have upped my work out intensely (from Tae Bo to Insanity) and kept my calories at what MFP has put me - 1200. Usually, a little lower. Well, I burn close to 1000 calories with Insanity and when you mentioned your Net & that was what your body was running off of, I checked mine. Today it's a big ol' 97. Yes. 97. NO WONDER I have stayed at the same weight within 0.5 lb for the last 5 days. I've lost, in total 228 lbs (97 lbs lost in 2004, then 2 pregnancies - 77 lbs gained & lost with one, 54 lbs with the other) and this is the first time I've been really flummoxed and frustrated about my weight loss & have hit a wall. Now the dilemma: It's 8:26pm, should I be eating something to get my calories up? If so, what?
    I've just joined MFP and I wonder if it's the calorie counting to the extreme that's making me go so low in calories; all the other times I've been roughly adding them in my head & been successful. Interesting.

THANK YOU for sharing this!
    I would say you must figure this out Chevitz. The Katch McArdle way to figure out your calories is wideley regarded as the most accurate way to determine your caloric needs for your body to LOSE weight. I'll give you the formula you fill in the blanks.

I'll use myself as an example:

First your need to figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). This is the amount of calories you burn if you lie in bed all day, comatose.

The equation:
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM(kg)) (Lean Body Mass is calculated by taking your TOTAL WEIGHT x Body Fat %)
    Example - I'm currently 200lbs with 16% BF. 200 x .16 = 32 (I carry 32lbs of fat with me currently)
    LBM = 200lbs - 32lbs BF = 168 Lean Body Mass
    Now we must convert that to Kilograms. Just google "lbs to kg" and you'll get a converter.
    168lbs = 76.20kg
    21.6 * 76.20kg = 1646 + 370 = 2016BMR
    My BMR is 2016 if I were to lay in a bed all day I would burn at least 2000 calories roughly. "But how does that tell me how much I should eat?" Glad you asked :)

We now take BMR * activity level = Maintenance Calories

Average activity variables are:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

Example: My BMR * my activity level 1.55 (I workout 5 days a week for 50 - 70 minutes) = 3125 Maintenance Calories (How many calories I should eat a day to maintain my current body build and weight) My advice is that you are very honest about you're daily schedule, taking into account what you do for a living. I picked 1.55 because I'm walking around all day standing and working out 5 days a week 1.55 felt right.

Maintenance Calories = 3125

Now that we know my maintenance calories it's time to CUT IT for the fat burn. Most people will say "Cut it by 500 calories blah blah blah" Well since some of you have mentioned your eating 1200, you couldn't cut it to 700 or you would literally slowly die inside. Rather, pick a % that you want to shave off. Most choose 20% off your Maintenance I chose 30% because it's working well for me. The most important thing if you pay attention to your body fat %.

My Cut Calories = 2187 I rounded up 2200

It is extremely important that you're eating your 2200 calories everyday. Thinking that you're doing great by eating 1500 or 1700 is really not great, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. You're body will adapt, get use to 1500 calories and you'll get stuck. Eating at your goal will promote weight loss, promote a faster metabolism, coupled with working out you'll be hitting your goals in NO TIME! Be patient!

Quick Blurb about Macros: Macros are your most important nutrients that makeup your calories. I hate that MFP has it set up with % because your body doesn't care if you get 40% Protein 30% Carbs yadda yadda. You really should be able to calculate your own macros P F C

Protein: I would recommend you stick with the bodybuilders recommendations with protein.
    1 - 1.15g total weight (if your body fat is average)
    1 - 1.5g per lb of LEAN BODY MASS (if you know your body fat and calculated your LBM as stated above)
    Each GRAM of Protein is 4 calories. I eat 200g of protein everyday which is = to 800 of my 2200 calories.

Fat: IS NOT THE DEVIL! STOP! "Fat Free this Fat Free that, OH GOOD I'll load my face with fat free ice cream" Nope. Fat is NECESSARY for the body to maintain health and it even helps burn fat! You need to pick the GOOD fats, Poly and Mono are great fats for the body.
    Average Body Fat - .45 - 1g total body weight (if you don't know your bodyfat)
    High BodyFat - .45 - 1g total LEAN BODY MASS (if you know your bodyfat you'll know your LBM)
    Each GRAM of Fat is 9 calories. I eat 92.4g of fat in my diet which is = to 832 of my 2200 calories.

Now add those two up 832 calories from fat + 800 calories from protein = 1632
    Now take 2200 - 1632 = 568 calories left for Carbs

Carbohydrates: Oh no! You'll get fat if you eat these! Ennnhhhhhh Wrong. If you're active, an althlete, or working out 5 days a week with weights you're going to need these to FEED THAT MUSCLE!

Carbs are my left over calories 568 divided by 4 = 142g
    Considering I'm lifting 5 days a week 142g a day is pathetic so rather then settle for that I choose to take some of my fat down to compensate in the carb department. After all each g of fat is 9 calories so I can get a little over 2g of carbs if I steal it back from fat! Confused?

Example I said 92.4g of fat in my above. I won't eat that much fat, lets cut it to 80g of fat. 92.4 - 80 = 12.4g * 9 calories in each gram = 112 calories (rounded up) available for relocation
    112 / 4 = 28g extra for carbs :) I went from 142g to 170g (thank GOD). Even that is a little low, so don't freak out if you have a lower fat day, workout hard in the gym and you substitute for some HEALTHY carbs.

Ok... I want to get this right. With the calculations... and the body fat % the scales say-47% yikes!- I should be at 1400 calories. So, if I happen to work out 2 days a week or not at all, or if I do 3 days, I should still loose? I shouldn't deviate from those calories when workouts are added in?

Thank for all the information!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    bump!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    bump
  • mskatec22
    mskatec22 Posts: 138 Member
    Wow what a response! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was/is/did suffer from this same problem. I'll gladly answer all of your questions here
    THANK YOU for posting this. This is what I've been going through. I have 9.5 lbs to my goal & have upped my work out intensely (from Tae Bo to Insanity) and kept my calories at what MFP has put me - 1200. Usually, a little lower. Well, I burn close to 1000 calories with Insanity and when you mentioned your Net & that was what your body was running off of, I checked mine. Today it's a big ol' 97. Yes. 97. NO WONDER I have stayed at the same weight within 0.5 lb for the last 5 days. I've lost, in total 228 lbs (97 lbs lost in 2004, then 2 pregnancies - 77 lbs gained & lost with one, 54 lbs with the other) and this is the first time I've been really flummoxed and frustrated about my weight loss & have hit a wall. Now the dilemma: It's 8:26pm, should I be eating something to get my calories up? If so, what?
    I've just joined MFP and I wonder if it's the calorie counting to the extreme that's making me go so low in calories; all the other times I've been roughly adding them in my head & been successful. Interesting.

THANK YOU for sharing this!
    I would say you must figure this out Chevitz. The Katch McArdle way to figure out your calories is wideley regarded as the most accurate way to determine your caloric needs for your body to LOSE weight. I'll give you the formula you fill in the blanks.

I'll use myself as an example:

First your need to figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). This is the amount of calories you burn if you lie in bed all day, comatose.

The equation:
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM(kg)) (Lean Body Mass is calculated by taking your TOTAL WEIGHT x Body Fat %)
    Example - I'm currently 200lbs with 16% BF. 200 x .16 = 32 (I carry 32lbs of fat with me currently)
    LBM = 200lbs - 32lbs BF = 168 Lean Body Mass
    Now we must convert that to Kilograms. Just google "lbs to kg" and you'll get a converter.
    168lbs = 76.20kg
    21.6 * 76.20kg = 1646 + 370 = 2016BMR
    My BMR is 2016 if I were to lay in a bed all day I would burn at least 2000 calories roughly. "But how does that tell me how much I should eat?" Glad you asked :)

We now take BMR * activity level = Maintenance Calories

Average activity variables are:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

Example: My BMR * my activity level 1.55 (I workout 5 days a week for 50 - 70 minutes) = 3125 Maintenance Calories (How many calories I should eat a day to maintain my current body build and weight) My advice is that you are very honest about you're daily schedule, taking into account what you do for a living. I picked 1.55 because I'm walking around all day standing and working out 5 days a week 1.55 felt right.

Maintenance Calories = 3125

Now that we know my maintenance calories it's time to CUT IT for the fat burn. Most people will say "Cut it by 500 calories blah blah blah" Well since some of you have mentioned your eating 1200, you couldn't cut it to 700 or you would literally slowly die inside. Rather, pick a % that you want to shave off. Most choose 20% off your Maintenance I chose 30% because it's working well for me. The most important thing if you pay attention to your body fat %.

My Cut Calories = 2187 I rounded up 2200

It is extremely important that you're eating your 2200 calories everyday. Thinking that you're doing great by eating 1500 or 1700 is really not great, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. You're body will adapt, get use to 1500 calories and you'll get stuck. Eating at your goal will promote weight loss, promote a faster metabolism, coupled with working out you'll be hitting your goals in NO TIME! Be patient!

Quick Blurb about Macros: Macros are your most important nutrients that makeup your calories. I hate that MFP has it set up with % because your body doesn't care if you get 40% Protein 30% Carbs yadda yadda. You really should be able to calculate your own macros P F C

Protein: I would recommend you stick with the bodybuilders recommendations with protein.
    1 - 1.15g total weight (if your body fat is average)
    1 - 1.5g per lb of LEAN BODY MASS (if you know your body fat and calculated your LBM as stated above)
    Each GRAM of Protein is 4 calories. I eat 200g of protein everyday which is = to 800 of my 2200 calories.

Fat: IS NOT THE DEVIL! STOP! "Fat Free this Fat Free that, OH GOOD I'll load my face with fat free ice cream" Nope. Fat is NECESSARY for the body to maintain health and it even helps burn fat! You need to pick the GOOD fats, Poly and Mono are great fats for the body.
    Average Body Fat - .45 - 1g total body weight (if you don't know your bodyfat)
    High BodyFat - .45 - 1g total LEAN BODY MASS (if you know your bodyfat you'll know your LBM)
    Each GRAM of Fat is 9 calories. I eat 92.4g of fat in my diet which is = to 832 of my 2200 calories.

Now add those two up 832 calories from fat + 800 calories from protein = 1632
    Now take 2200 - 1632 = 568 calories left for Carbs

Carbohydrates: Oh no! You'll get fat if you eat these! Ennnhhhhhh Wrong. If you're active, an althlete, or working out 5 days a week with weights you're going to need these to FEED THAT MUSCLE!

Carbs are my left over calories 568 divided by 4 = 142g
    Considering I'm lifting 5 days a week 142g a day is pathetic so rather then settle for that I choose to take some of my fat down to compensate in the carb department. After all each g of fat is 9 calories so I can get a little over 2g of carbs if I steal it back from fat! Confused?

Example I said 92.4g of fat in my above. I won't eat that much fat, lets cut it to 80g of fat. 92.4 - 80 = 12.4g * 9 calories in each gram = 112 calories (rounded up) available for relocation
    112 / 4 = 28g extra for carbs :) I went from 142g to 170g (thank GOD). Even that is a little low, so don't freak out if you have a lower fat day, workout hard in the gym and you substitute for some HEALTHY carbs.

Oh crap. That's a lot of information. Seriously though thanks for posting. I may have to hire you to do my calculations or risk having my head explode. :huh:
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    bump.. but still lost on the whole calculations for how much I really should be eating.