Anybody ever been referred to as "big-boned"??? Then lost we

Options
13»

Replies

• warpedpunk02
    warpedpunk02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, my whole life. And I think I have finally figured out that is people's way of saying you aren't petite or have a little frame. Even at my lowest weight I was never "petite" due to my body structure.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've been called that, and I think I am. When I circle my fingers around my wrist, they don't touch, and most bracelets are too small for me. I'm 5'11 and broad, but I don't think 'big boned' is an excuse for my weight. I have a large frame, but I also have a large amount of fat on it!
  • starscapenatasha
    Options
    I have been told I am big boned...even when I was in shape. They say that if you take your thumb and put it around your wrist then try to touch your thumb to your middle finger it you can touch you are small boned if there is a little gap medium boned and if there is a big gap..big boned...try it. I have about a 1/2 inch to 1 inch gap..but my sister can touch we are the same height and body type but she weighs around 130 to 140 at 5'10 and looks perfect. If I dropped under 150 I would look sick..so my weight should be 150 to 160 hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip! My middle finger and thumb actually overlap. . . that also explains a few things. I'm 5'7" and my goal is 120-125 (the bottom end of a healthy BMI, underweight is 118), and I don't post much about it because whenever others have similar goals they're usually told by people on MFP to reassess their goals. I've been that weight before though, and it honestly looks good on me. Another fun fact, even though I'm 5'7", when I was 20 pounds overweight the highest my ribcage measurement ever was for my bra size was 34. Now I'm a 32; the only thing that sucks about that is that often I have to go to specialty shops to find my bra size. :/ (32D-32DD).
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I have been told I am big boned...even when I was in shape. They say that if you take your thumb and put it around your wrist then try to touch your thumb to your middle finger it you can touch you are small boned if there is a little gap medium boned and if there is a big gap..big boned...try it. I have about a 1/2 inch to 1 inch gap..but my sister can touch we are the same height and body type but she weighs around 130 to 140 at 5'10 and looks perfect. If I dropped under 150 I would look sick..so my weight should be 150 to 160 hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip! My middle finger and thumb actually overlap. . . that also explains a few things. I'm 5'7" and my goal is 120-125 (the bottom end of a healthy BMI, underweight is 118), and I don't post much about it because whenever others have similar goals they're usually told by people on MFP to reassess their goals. I've been that weight before though, and it honestly looks good on me. Another fun fact, even though I'm 5'7", when I was 20 pounds overweight the highest my ribcage measurement ever was for my bra size was 34. Now I'm a 32; the only thing that sucks about that is that often I have to go to specialty shops to find my bra size. :/ (32D-32DD).

I don;t think that makes sense (sorry!). If you are 'big boned' you're going to have big hands - so your thumb and middle finger are still going to be big.
  • SMHZ
    SMHZ Posts: 7
    Options
    I found this on another board....

Place the thumb and middle finger of your right hand around your left wrist. If the finger and thumb just touch you are medium boned, if the finger and thumb over lap you are small boned and if they don't touch but are a half inch or more apart you have big bones. You can look very thin and still be big boned. Lots of super models are big boned, it gives them the longer legs and broader shoulders they need. Examples: Kate Winslet and Sandra Bullock are big boned. Niclole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon are small boned. All thin all beautiful.

But if your wrist is fat, it still would be deceiving.
  • starscapenatasha
    Options

I don;t think that makes sense (sorry!). If you are 'big boned' you're going to have big hands - so your thumb and middle finger are still going to be big.

Well then, either way, I suppose it's a good thing that my doctor agrees with me. :)
  • Quilled
    Quilled Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The fingers around the wrist are not a very good measurement of your bone structure size. A better way is the circumference of your wrist and the width of your elbow, though visiting your doctor is likely your best bet. Things like broad shoulders or broad hips does not make you big boned, thats got to do with body shape, apple shapes have wider shoulders, pears have wider hips. So just because you have wide shoulders does not mean you have a large bone structure. It just means your body shape is an apple. You can definitely tell the difference between bone structures when you see them next to each other. My oldest sister is TINY bone structure wise. No matter how much weight she gains her wrists/fingers/ankles are always small in comparison to mine even at my best weight. She is a significant amount overweight right now, her ring finger has a 5 size ring with a spacer on it to make it fit, I can barely fit the 5 on pinky my finger without the spacer and I am only a few pounds away from ideal for my height. Her wrists and arms are smaller than mine as well, even though she is taller than me. She is a pear shape with a small frame. I am an hourglass with a medium bordering on large frame. She is about 3-4 inches taller than me.

You probably are not large boned. Even if you are its not going to be something overly noticeable to anyone else or make you look any bigger weight wise. When you are in shape and trim you will look it no matter how big or little your bones are. In my experience, people with small bone structures have it harder. I have known a few (including my sister). As soon as they put on a handful of pounds you can see it, where as a person with a bigger bone structure can fluctuate a bit more before its obvious.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I always got referred to as big boned when I was heavier, and honestly I believed it.... But now... 81lbs lighter I know that is not the case. I can wrap my thumb and ring-finger around my wrist and they touch/overlap a bit. That is not a sign of being big boned. I also, have done the circumference of the wrist and elbow. That also points to my not being "big-boned" or at least not as big boned as I would have thought.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!