Tingling toes on the elliptical???

Options
124»

Replies

• dcute1
    dcute1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. After 1 hour on the elliptical my one foot was completely dead. So annoying. Try the Arc Trainer. I haven't had any problems with that and it burns tons of calories.
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    it happens to me a lot to and i always question whether im doing the machine right like i life my feet up a little bit but yeah i have seen this topic twice on here and never get an answer
  • RL100less
    RL100less Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You should'nt wait to see a neurologist. That goes from a small pinched nerve or all the way to multiple sclerosis. A qualified Doctor is the only person you should listen to in this case.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Since i'm new....what does it mean when someone writes bump on here?
  • beckie4442
    Options
    The reason it happens is because of the CONSISTENT pressure on the ball of your foot. Since you don't get much of a chance to actually lift your feet off and your whole body weight is mostly on that point, it compresses the nerves in that area and causes your foot to feel like it fell asleep.
    You can try occasionally shifting your weight to your heels for a few minutes and lift your toes up off the pedals, then switch back again.

Perfect answer, I get this too, my whole foot goes dead ( both of them ) so I was thinking it might be because my feet aren't moving as they should and I also suffer with bad circulation.

So thanks for that!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The reason it happens is because of the CONSISTENT pressure on the ball of your foot. Since you don't get much of a chance to actually lift your feet off and your whole body weight is mostly on that point, it compresses the nerves in that area and causes your foot to feel like it fell asleep.
    You can try occasionally shifting your weight to your heels for a few minutes and lift your toes up off the pedals, then switch back again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This!! I had this happen in the very beginning when I first started using the elliptical. But I learned to shift my feet every 10 minutes from all the way with my heal against the back on the foot pedal and then move my foot so that my toes is all the way to the front of the pedal. It made a huge difference, as did curling my toes up inside my shoe for just a few seconds every once in awhile. I am a elliptical junkie (because of my bad knee's) and do atleast an hour at a time and have had no numbness since I started doing this...... Good luck........................
  • erinrose07
    Options
    I believe I saw this on Dr. Oz. You may need to up your resistance if you're at a very low level.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Not saying this is what it is but might give you more info. Try Googling neuroma. I have the same issue. When I walk long distances also, more than 2 miles, I get that and also on the elliptical and recumbent bike. I try to move my foot from front to back on the pedal putting it in different spots. Seems to help some.

Kidzz4x - thanks for posting that! I've had that sensation in my right foot, 3rd and 4th toes, off and on for years. I will look into this!
  • TiasF
    TiasF Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    wow! yess, i just got off the elliptical just now & still have the sensation. I thought it was just me lol. it's not my shoes, they're a good fit. but i do try to shift my feet on the pedal & that helps some..
  • marina_j
    Options
    it use to happen to me all the time, but not anymore. loosen your shoes a little and place a mirror or something to your side to make sure you aren't leaning - it happened for an entire year until i found the solution - loose shoes and NOT leaning forward. now i can go an hour and no tingling/asleep foot. good luck
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Happens to me every single time I've ever used the elliptical. Doesn't matter the brand (have tried different ones), doesn't matter the level or the resistance. I've tightened my shoes, loosened my shoes, tried different shoes. Doesn't matter what I do - it ALWAYS happens.

Switched to the treadmill or incline trainer and don't have any issues.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time, idk why :S
  • judsimm
    judsimm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I asked people that work at the athletic shoe places.. They told me this is a common complaint. They said not to worry as long as it goes away.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I get it, too. Mine actually I feel at the beginning, not after a long time. I just lift up and wiggle my toes. I also found that if I have the elliptical at a higher incline it is better, probably because it forces more weight to the heel of the shoe. It helps to periodically "kick" back so that your heel is against the back of the shoe and the show is in the back of the foot pedal. I also loosen the toe part of my sock so it doesn't add pressure on my toes.
  • amanda6262005
    Options
    So glad u asked! Happens to me every time but love the burn! Glad to know I'm normal ll