How Do you Read?

Options
Okay, so there have been threads on what your reading and threads on the Kindle and such but I wanna know how you read a book.

Me, I love to buy books. I love the way the pages feel and I like turning them. I like flipping the tops to save my spot and being able to write or highlight in them if there a part i dont want to forget.

Lots of people are buying Kindles and Nooks but are they really worth it? I have a book of Grimm Fairy tales and a poetry book that my grandmother wrote in. I love to see her handwritting it makes all more special to me....if she would have given me an ebook would it have felt the same? I dont think so.

But I have been thinking about getting a kindle for daily reading. I just down loaded a book on to my phone and find it harder to read.....

So how do you read a book?

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Usually in the tub. And I read a chapter in bed before going to sleep.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Kindle, or iPhone, usually. If I find a book spontaneously, though, I will buy it. I'm not an ereader snob.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I have a few books on my tablet and iPhone, but prefer a real book. Easier on the eyes, and I like actual paper.

The regular kindles (not the full-color fire) have awesome screens for reading. I might get one of those eventually.
  • frankie2637
    frankie2637 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love a good old fashioned book, cant see myself snuggling in bed or laying in the bath reading with a kindle in quite the same way. I agree with you about the feel of a book. I have a box set of Roald Dahl books from when I was a child and they have been read by me many times and by my children but I wont part with them as they have sentimental meaning to me. Cant beat a good book and a comfy sofa!!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Old school kindle, android phone, or my asus prime tablet. I always have one of them with me..so I always have a change to read.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Kindle, or iPhone, usually. If I find a book spontaneously, though, I will buy it. I'm not an ereader snob.

^^^ THIS!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I rarely read a book more than once, so I only pay for one if...

1) I cannot get it at the library, or
    2) I'm too anxious to wait until the library gets it.

If I end up buying the book, I resell on Amazon. Hence, I've avoided ebooks.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i'm all about a real book. I love the smell of books and bookstores.

I do prefer to read on my mini-laptop if i'm reading something... dirty. cause no one will know! it's much easier to be discreet!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! The Boyfriend asked me while we were out Christmas shopping why I didn't have an e-reader. I might use one for magazines, but NEVER for books. No way, no how.

I do have the ability on my phone to download books, but haven't used it. I've actually made a pact to buy at least one full proced book from a book store every month to do my part to keep REAL books out there!

Adding -- Without books, I don't know how I'd decorate my house!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    No kindle here! I like to pick up my real book and read. They smell good too! I refuse to switch over.

I do read the bible on my phone though.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Right to left.

Top to bottom.

Try not to move my lips.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I download them on PDF file and read them at work.
    It's kind of hard to pretend you are working if you've got your nose stuck in a book! :tongue:
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm old fashion, I like having a book in my hands and turning the pages as well.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Hard bound, paperback, Kindle and audio books all have a place with me.

For books I'd want to collect, I'd go hard bound. Particularly if I wanted the author's signature.

Paperbacks are good for bath reading or something that I'd want to read and discard (trade in).

I love my Kindle because I now have a bookstore in my hand. I pull down books and have all of them with me. This fulfills my "want it now" cravings.

I drive an hour each way to work. And take road trips often (If it is less than six hours, I'm driving to where I want to go). So, audio books are a great way to pass the time.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Never thought I would but I love my kindle. I too love the feel and smell of a new book but I read so much I never know what to do with them once I'm done. I love that I don't have to store or lug tons of books around trying to fing someone to take them. I will not throw them out. Now I don't have that problem.
  • ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    Right to left.

Top to bottom.

Try not to move my lips.

This was what I was thinking almost verbatim!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Okay, so there have been threads on what your reading and threads on the Kindle and such but I wanna know how you read a book.

Me, I love to buy books. I love the way the pages feel and I like turning them. I like flipping the tops to save my spot and being able to write or highlight in them if there a part i dont want to forget.

Lots of people are buying Kindles and Nooks but are they really worth it? I have a book of Grimm Fairy tales and a poetry book that my grandmother wrote in. I love to see her handwritting it makes all more special to me....if she would have given me an ebook would it have felt the same? I dont think so.

But I have been thinking about getting a kindle for daily reading. I just down loaded a book on to my phone and find it harder to read.....

So how do you read a book?

On my kindle you can highlight things you like. I dont really have any books with sentimental value so it was an easy switch. The books are usually cheaper wich works out for me because I read A LOT. They have a ton of 99cent books that while its hit and miss have introduced me to some new authors I really enjoy.Read a book on the phone is going to suck,but the kindle is perfect it even looks like a real book page to me. I could care less about the smell of books to me thats like knowing a strippers life story,not what im spending my money on. Ive cut what I spend in a month on books in half.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I prefer my Kindle2... I read at night while nursing my little one to sleep. It is so much nicer to read with my kindle than with a DTB (dead tree book). My light is always focused right on the page, it's lighter and easier to read with one hand, and if i finish a book I can start a new one without disturbing my little one. Never could happily nurse and read a DTB at night.
    I still read DTBs, but I prefer my Kindle. I prefer DTB for cookbooks, and kids books. I still have a bunch of ebooks for my kids on my kindle, but that's for travelling or when we are at a drs office or a place where reading would be great but I didn't bring a book along.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Im like you... I like the feel of the paper, the smell, etc..... I have Kindle on my phone and laptop and I do read on them. But it really isnt the same as snuggling into bed with a real book
  • DawnDawn2011
    Options
    I own a ton of "real" books, and am reading a Stephen King novel right now, however I do own a nook color, and I have a pretty cool library on it as well. The beauty of a real book is you can throw it in your purse, and if it falls on the floor it doesn't break, a coworker spilled a cup of coffee on one of my books the other day, it dried out and I am still reading. I only read my nook when I know it will not get damaged, and the battery usually dies before I have finished reading! Lol.