How Do you Read?

Options

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I own a ton of "real" books, and am reading a Stephen King novel right now, however I do own a nook color, and I have a pretty cool library on it as well. The beauty of a real book is you can throw it in your purse, and if it falls on the floor it doesn't break, a coworker spilled a cup of coffee on one of my books the other day, it dried out and I am still reading. I only read my nook when I know it will not get damaged, and the battery usually dies before I have finished reading! Lol.

Maybe its the nook then,I have not charged my kindle in over a week and I read on it for atleast an hour everyday,and droped it more times than i can count.I keep it in my purse all the time. I dont know what I would do without it lol
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I download them on PDF file and read them at work.
    It's kind of hard to pretend you are working if you've got your nose stuck in a book! :tongue:

OOooooo how do you do that?!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I love books!! But I read magazines and online as well. So I guess I'm nondiscriminatory reader. :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Never thought I would but I love my kindle. I too love the feel and smell of a new book but I read so much I never know what to do with them once I'm done. I love that I don't have to store or lug tons of books around trying to fing someone to take them. I will not throw them out. Now I don't have that problem.

I was the same. Before I got my Nook, I thought I'd hate it. I love deciding I want a book and BAM, it's in my hands instantly. I do check the prices online, often I can get a used version for less than the Nook price and I will do that, I still shop Half Price books and there are certain books I prefer to have a hard copy. I'll never give up "real" books entirely, but the Nook serves a great purpose.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I don't own any electronic reading devices. All my books are the paper kind.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I almost always listen to audiobooks. I'm a busy working mom so my "free" time is for exercise. lol. So I listen to audiobooks while I get ready in the morning, clean up, and drive. :D
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Usually in the tub. And I read a chapter in bed before going to sleep.

You have my restraint than me.

I can never read just ONE chapter.....

Unless its a boring book....
  • rashooy
    rashooy Posts: 55
    Options
    I looooove looove reading. I read both a real book and on iPad. To be honest I'll go back to reading from books and not the iPad it's just a different experience:wink:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Gotta have the real thing. Besides... I like the look of a bookcase full of books, I like being able to lend books to friends...
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    And I always get them from the library. :)
    And they're on my iPod Touch.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I download them on PDF file and read them at work.
    It's kind of hard to pretend you are working if you've got your nose stuck in a book! :tongue:

OOooooo how do you do that?!

Open them with a PDF reader on phone/tab/PC, and scroll down with your mouse.
  • metroins
    metroins Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use FBReader on my HTC Evo (Android cell phone) and download ebooks.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Okay, so there have been threads on what your reading and threads on the Kindle and such but I wanna know how you read a book.

Me, I love to buy books. I love the way the pages feel and I like turning them. I like flipping the tops to save my spot and being able to write or highlight in them if there a part i dont want to forget.

Lots of people are buying Kindles and Nooks but are they really worth it? I have a book of Grimm Fairy tales and a poetry book that my grandmother wrote in. I love to see her handwritting it makes all more special to me....if she would have given me an ebook would it have felt the same? I dont think so.

But I have been thinking about getting a kindle for daily reading. I just down loaded a book on to my phone and find it harder to read.....

So how do you read a book?

Although I do not own a Kindle, they are excellent for taking away on vacation. On the plane and by the pool or beach, instead of carrying books you have one little gadget that weighs next-to-nothing and contains loads and loads of books within it.

I don't tend to read books very much anymore, but if I did I would purchase a Kindle for sure.
  • neddoh
    neddoh Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle for daily reading (novels/PDFs for class, etc) because it's the easiest thing to carry around and getting ebooks is cheaper for me than paperbacks. Kindle has e-ink which makes it look like the page of a book (making it easier to read than on a phone or an iPad). If I REALLY love a book, I'll buy it in paperback to keep and I still keep all of my paperbacks that have been passed down :)
  • JustLena75
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Nook...but I still check out books from the library too!! I'm usually reading 2-3 'real' books at any given time, but I flop back and forth.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be one or the other! I love real books and buy them often, i love reading them and I love the look of them on my shelf, I always buy the books from my favorite author. BUT I also have a kobo and I borrow books from the library on that, I ca do it instantly from home, for free )
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Between the lines
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I do both....I love the feel of a real book, but I also love the convenience of downloading books on my Ipad....I just love reading in general, so it doesn't really make a difference to me!! :smile:
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I use FBReader on my HTC Evo (Android cell phone) and download ebooks.

Do you find it hard to read on your phone?
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Have 100's and 100's of books in the house.. I love love a book - the feel of it, everything.

But, I only have so much room.. And I hate parting with my books..

So I got a Kindle during the summer. I love it as it means I always have a new book to read. I don't have to stress about ordering my next few books in time before I finish the last batch..

While I love my Kindle, I do miss the feel of books. And I also miss not being able to lend books out. If I've read a fantastic book, I can't give anyone a lend of it unless I give them my kindle??

Prefer real books, but still like the Kindle!! :happy: