RANCH DRESSING! HELP

Options

Replies

• Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I like my ranch dressing too, but what I've been doing is using a very little bit of it with some salsa (tastes GREAT on a salad!)
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    What about mixing your own? I sometimes buy the Hidden Valley Ranch mix (the powder) and mix it with 1/4 cup olive oil mayo (half the cals of regular mayo and not super processed) and 3/4 cup skim milk and 1/2 cup water. Sounds weird, but it tastes the same to me. It's thinner than regular ranch, so you actually use less because it coats the salad well. It's only about 45 calories per serving, too. :)
  • rebecca_chess
    rebecca_chess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use the Hidden Valley Ranch Mix pouch, with 1 cup of Fat Free Buttermilk and 1 cup of Hellman's Light Mayo.....I use 2 Tablespoons on a huge salad....as long as each bite has a tiny bit of flavor on it, it works for me! :-) Hope this helps!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yep scale back to 3 Tbsp or less.. I've found Wishbone brand is a bit less calories without being a "fat free" type of dressing.

Alternately you can try this home made Asian oil & vinegar dressing that I find yummy, it's easy. Just take a jar and fill it almost half full of Asian Rice Vinegar and then fill it the rest of the way with Toasted Sesame oil. Add a few cloves of mashed or minced garlic. Shake and serve. I find that works well for salads and it can be stored at room temperature and keeps getting tastier as it sits.

Although when I want to dip carrot sticks or celery or things like that, I want ranch or something else creamy like Japanese Steak House style "yum yum" sauce which is surprisingly low cal but hard to find.

Good luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the calories are but you could plug the recipe into MFP and find out. This recipe is from http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/recipes/evas_raw_vegan_better_than_ranch_dressing/ and I haven't tried it yet but it looks good. Not calorie free but it's at least not wasted calories.

1 cup raw cashews, soaked in filtered water for 2 hours and drained
 (soaking is optional)
    ¼ cup fresh lemon juice

¼ cup apple cider vinegar

2 dates soaked in 1 1/2 cups of filtered water and then pitted

1/2 cup date soak water (disgard the rest of soak water or add it to a smoothie)

2 - 4 large cloves garlic

2 Tbsp red onion

1½ Tbsp Herbamare
    1 Tbsp fresh continental parsley chopped finely

½ tsp fresh dill chopped finely

1 Tbsp green onions chopped finely
    Place all ingredients except the fresh herbs into your blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
    If using as a dip, place mixture in an airtight container and chill for about 2 hours to congeal and thicken before serving.
    If you're like me and can't wait, the "scoff and devour immediately" approach is s'blended too!
    If using as a dressing, add about 1/2 cup - 1 cup of filtered water to thin out.

My husband's favorite way to eat a salad is to dump a bunch of vinegar on it (apple cider, red wine - his favorite, rice wine, balsamic, etc.) If you can make the switch to that there are pretty much no calories in vinegars. I just can't do it though. :)

ETA: Herbamare is a seasoning salt that contains Sea salt, celery, leek, watercress, onion, chives, parsley, lovage, garlic, basil, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, kelp. Just use something similar if you can't find this. They do sell it on Amazon.
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use the Hidden Valley Ranch Mix pouch, with 1 cup of Fat Free Buttermilk and 1 cup of Hellman's Light Mayo.....I use 2 Tablespoons on a huge salad....as long as each bite has a tiny bit of flavor on it, it works for me! :-) Hope this helps!

I do the above, but I use the free mayo in the red bottle. I also LOVE red raspberry dressing i'm not sure who makes it but its some yummy and you don't have to use much. I add dried cranberries and almonds to my salad with it and it's almost like dessert without the calories.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I use Kens light ranch dressing, Kroger light ranch etc. Ive liked most light ranches but like you, hate fat free.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's all about great value light buttermilk ranch.. Mmmm. I used to be a ranch addict, so when I need a fix, this is what I get. You can't tell it's lower in fat. But if you really love salads and need something, kraft fat free zesty italian isn't too bad.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I use Kens light ranch dressing, Kroger light ranch etc. Ive liked most light ranches but like you, hate fat free.

Ken's light is really good.

I, too, loathe fat free ranch.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I use Marie's Yogurt Ranch dressing - it's really good.

I also HATE fat free dressing!
    These are good.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I love the Wishbone Salad Spritzers. It's like 1 or 2 calories per squirt. ( but be aware of the sodium as you squirt)
  • fitnesstanyam
    fitnesstanyam Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is good on salad!
  • lindsayva
    Options
    The Kraft Calorie-Wise ranch is really good. It is still thick and creamy with lots of flavour like regular ranch, not runny or watery at all.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    salt and pepper your salad and dip your fork in your dressing, you will use very little...
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Eat the dressing you like just start cutting back. You will learn to like less. I don't put the dressing on my salad. I dip my fork in the dressing and then my salad, that way I always have dressing on my tongue. It works. Never poor out more then 2 tbls.

Total agreement!
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I agree -- full-fat in moderation! Or, plain greek yogurt with smashed garlic, onion powder, pepper, rice vinegar and sea salt... not quite the same but very good!

I too use yogurt with herbs from my garden mashed with fresh garlic, salt and pepper or other spices to suit my mood. A small dash of your favorite olive oil in there goes a long way.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    in my opinion- ranch is worth every single one of those 140 calories!!!
  • wlgreen379
    Options
    I am a Ranch Addict as well! The best thing I have found is to take cottage cheese, run it through a food processor until it hits the consistency of sour cream, and then add powdered ranch mix. It works good for a veggie dip, and if you add a little light mayo and skim milk, you can hit dressing consistency. 1/2 cup of cottage cheese is around 40 calories, and I never get close to eating a half cup of this.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I really like the Newman's Own Light dressings, especially the Lighten' Up Honey Mustard. Sometimes I just use balsamic vinager - the pure kind, not an actual dressing. It's only 5 calories a tablespoon.