Obesity and being beautiful. Same thing or not?

Options

Replies

• GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    quote:
    I think there's a lot of subjectivity involved. Back when I was genuinely happy being obese, obesity was something I found very attractive. If I liked the way someone looked, nine times out of ten they were obese.

As I've changed my lifestyle and started focusing on my health and fitness, that's changed. I still find some obese people attractive, particularly my fiancé of course, but I also see the aesthetic value of a slightly slimmer figure. That's said, I'm still not keen on very thin, nor do I like clear, defined muscle.

quote:
    Tough call. I am a size 16 (U.S. sizes) and I'm told quite often that I'm attractive/beautiful. Though I do have weight to lose and that is an unhealthy consequence to my past actions, I do take very good care of myself. I maintain all my physicals and checkups. I style my hair, clean my skin, and keep myself looking well put together and professional. I have a really sweet and outgoing personality and I think those things are what people see as 'beautiful' about me. Not necessarily that my pants tag says 16 instead of 6.

I agree with these two comments. When I as a size 16, I had a lot of confidence in myself and made sure to take care of myself. I was overweight and for the longest time, didn't have any health problems. I had grown up athletic and never really felt a reason to lose weight--I was able to do everything I wanted to do. It wasn't until I had MENTAL health problems that I started exercising (exercise was "prescribed" by my doctor to help relieve my stress). With the exercise, my diet changed, and I started losing the weight. I started to gain an attraction for wanting to look slimmer and to look toned (I still am not fond of looking rail thin or anything like that). I am very curvy, very stocky body (it's just genes), and probably to other people look like I should still lose another 30-40lbs, but I'm mostly content with my body, consider myself beautiful (because I'm VERY confident in myself), and I continue to do everything to take care of myself (inside and outside).

With that said, I think beauty is REALLY about how you feel about yourself. While some levels of obesity may not be healthy, I don't think it really has anything to do with beauty. I feel the two are separate entities. The only thing I feel they have in common--is your ability to change it (beauty: mental change--more confidence in yourself, learning to love yourself, and obesity: changing your health--knowing if your life is at risk at the size you are at and if your are willing to lose your life to your weight).
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    how rude. its funny that the one person on here that is talking about how not everyone is beautiful....is not the most attractive person either lol
    They say that "beauty comes from within" and "ugliness runs deep".

Your comment has certainly proved that you have an "ugly" personality. :noway:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    But as for the original topic...there are beautiful fat people, and there are ugly fat people.
    Just like there are beautiful skinny people and ugly skinny people.
    Weight has nothing to do with facial beauty.
    However, weight is indicative of health, therefore making a fit person more attractive by human nature as we are wired to seek partners who are healthy and strong, to perpetuate the species.

As a side note....
    I also am one of those people who does NOT believe ALL babies are "so CUTE!!!" and some are just downright funny looking kids. And I will not say "awww so cute!" when I see an ugly kid. I don't lie. I'm not MEAN about it, I just say nothing at all about their appearance, leaning towards "oh, she's so TINY!", or, "wow, what a big healthy boy he is!"
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm over 300 lbs. My goal is not to be "beautiful" because I already have that within. Sure I get insecure and I look in the mirror some days and think "I suck".. but I like who I am, I like the person I am, and believe it or not, I get much more attention at this weight and this size than I did when I was younger and thinner.

That being said, my goal is to get fit. To not just feel good in my own skin, but feel healthy in it. I will never be "thin." I'm a big girl, big boobs, big hips and thighs, so I know I'll never look model thin or picture book "beautiful." But I will be the best I can be, and love myself along the way, thick or thin.
  • jennifer2977
    Options

to tell someone they are ugly just because they are fat is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Please quote the person who said that.

huh? I did. LOL
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I sure know a lot of skinny ugly people. Just saying.

Amen!

Yes, it's so exciting when you see a skinny person that's ugly. Bonus if that skinny person is not fit.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    As a side note....
    I also am one of those people who does NOT believe ALL babies are "so CUTE!!!" and some are just downright funny looking kids. And I will not say "awww so cute!" when I see an ugly kid. I don't lie. I'm not MEAN about it, I just say nothing at all about their appearance, leaning towards "oh, she's so TINY!", or, "wow, what a big healthy boy he is!"

What a bad person you are! How monstrous! WHY DO YOU HATE BABIES!?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    I sure know a lot of skinny ugly people. Just saying.

Ya, and I even know skinny people with diabetes and heart disease. Who'd a thunk it?

What I find really unattractive is people who judge other people because of the way they look.
    We all get that obesity is not healthy, but we all do things that are not healthy. Ever speed in a car, text while driving, smoke
    cigarettes, drink alchohol?
  • jezlightyear
    jezlightyear Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Are you going to tell me the color red is wrong and ugly?

Society and cultures define what is beautiful. People are social creatures that tend to make choices based on what is socially acceptable to earn them social points.

Overweight/obese used to be a positive factor in beauty. In some areas of the world it still is. In western European/American culture, it is ugly, therefore the majority of people will consider it ugly and be miserable if they are fat because they will be penalized socially for it.

If you were born in a part of the world where being overweight was rewarded instead of punished, chances are you would think more highly of being overweight and actually strive to be so, because it would give you social points.

So can one be obese and beautiful? Yes absolutely because they two are not one and the same, despite what commercials, magazines, and websites tell you. Note beauty and healthy are not one and the same either. One can be gorgeous and be grotesquely ill, just like one can be fat and grotesquely ill. There are some fat people who live to be very old and other than being considered western culture eye sores, their longevity would indicate that they were rather healthy.

pretty much nails it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    eye roll.

I don't agree that "everyone" is beautiful. Also, I don't think body composition is the only thing that impacts your level of beauty, imho, actions have a huge impact on whether you're beautiful.

But c'mon.....physical attractiveness is not present in all humans. It's just a fact. Sorry.

Everyone is beautiful to someone.

if you say so....I disagree. I think that's a snowflake comment.....and I am a realist.

So who's the authority on beauty? Who decides? My best friend thinks her husband is the most incredibly good-looking man who ever walked the earth. I don't think he's ugly, but I don't find him especially attractive, either. So which of us is correct?

Everyone has a mother and father, most people have friends who love them. Usually when you love someone, you find that person beautiful. You're not a realist. You do not decide what's beautiful to me or anyone except yourself.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    how rude. its funny that the one person on here that is talking about how not everyone is beautiful....is not the most attractive person either lol

personality is more indicative of beautiful/ugly...and you just proved yourself the "ugliest" person on this thread.

Just because she does not believe "everyone is beautiful" is NO reason to go and call her unattractive.

At least she does not feel the need to wear an extreme excess of makeup and flaunt a disgusting amount of cleavage therefore making herself appear cheap and sleazy like some people do....

:gigggle:
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Don't really see why people get so nasty about subjects like this. It is a fact that not everyone is beautiful regardless of whether they are fat or thin. Sure "someone" will think they are beautiful but by general normal parameters, alot of people are unattractive. Add in a nasty personality & I would consider even a super model ugly.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

No need for you to be ugly.

We're each entitled to our opinions, if you don't want to hear a variety of opinions then don't ask the question or read the answers.

I've never seen this, but I do think that everyone has the right to feel beautiful and have to opportunity to be respected. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the world would be mighty boring if 1) we all looked the same and 2) we all were attracted to the same type of person. I know when I was playing the field I dated guys with different features, big, small, short tall, fair, dark, and everything in between and I think they were each on sexy.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options

personality is more indicative of beautiful/ugly...and you just proved yourself the "ugliest" person on this thread.

Just because she does not believe "everyone is beautiful" is NO reason to go and call her unattractive.

At least she does not feel the need to wear an extreme excess of makeup and flaunt a disgusting amount of cleavage therefore making herself appear cheap and sleazy like some people do....

^^^this!!!! she is beautiful on the inside and out! you should probably work on your insides....
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    But as for the original topic...there are beautiful fat people, and there are ugly fat people.
    Just like there are beautiful skinny people and ugly skinny people.
    Weight has nothing to do with facial beauty.
    However, weight is indicative of health, therefore making a fit person more attractive by human nature as we are wired to seek partners who are healthy and strong, to perpetuate the species.

As a side note....

I so agree with the baby thing! I really don't like lying, so when someone I know is like 'isn't she just adooooraaable? I have to be like, yeah, she has a cute nose/hair/ears!' Oh I'm going to hell.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read all the responses...someone said they made her cranky.

OP said being morbidly obese wasn't healthy. That doesn't mean not beautiful. One can be obese and beautiful. Another can be healthy and quite ugly.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    eye roll.

I don't agree that "everyone" is beautiful. Also, I don't think body composition is the only thing that impacts your level of beauty, imho, actions have a huge impact on whether you're beautiful.

But c'mon.....physical attractiveness is not present in all humans. It's just a fact. Sorry.

Everyone is beautiful to someone.

if you say so....I disagree. I think that's a snowflake comment.....and I am a realist.

So who's the authority on beauty? Who decides? My best friend thinks her husband is the most incredibly good-looking man who ever walked the earth. I don't think he's ugly, but I don't find him especially attractive, either. So which of us is correct?

Everyone has a mother and father, most people have friends who love them. Usually when you love someone, you find that person beautiful. You're not a realist. You do not decide what's beautiful to me or anyone except yourself.

LOL
    I gave my opinion. I never claimed that I make up my mind for anyone else but me.

I love all of my family members. But some of them ARE ugly. They have lovely personalities, and qualities I hold dear. But that doesn't change their physical appearance, and not everyone is physically attractive. Including the people I love.

Why does that offend anyone? Seriously do not get why there's any issue with this.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read all the responses...someone said they made her cranky.

OP said being morbidly obese wasn't healthy. That doesn't mean not beautiful. One can be obese and beautiful. Another can be healthy and quite ugly.

True but you have to admit, that view would be in the minority. By a pretty big margin
  • ItsHoneyDuhh22
    Options
    Being healthy and being beautiful are two very different things.
    For those who believe being unhealthy is not beautiful, then they obviously believe beauty is all about how you look.

Now if we were talking about appearance alone, then nobody can absolutely say what is beautiful or not because every society views beauty differently.
    One country might believe that people larger figures are beautiful, whereas another might believe a stick figure with two silicone balloons in a bikini is the most beautiful thing in the world.

If we were talking about the inside of someone, i.e. their character or personality, then most agree worldwide what is beautiful vs. ugly.

In the end, we all know what SHOULD be deemed beautiful, but everyone is different, and many people get beauty confused with other things that have absolutely nothing to do with beauty, such as health, but to each their own.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think everyone could be beautiful to somebody... but imo i do not believe that big is beautiful...not saying you have to be stick figure but theres nothing beautiful about being obese

Except, obviously, to people who find large people beautiful. And there are many of them out there.
    Have a look at any BBW site for plenty of evidence.

And realistically, what makes people beautiful really is not just physical. There's a quality beyond the physical that makes some people very beautiful even though they're miles from what received wisdom regards as attractive.