Obesity and being beautiful. Same thing or not?

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Wow. How shallow can all of you be? When did we go from obesity is not healthy to fat and ugly people are ugly as *kitten*. You all have a lot of growing up to do.
    What thread are you reading?
  • tifmarie9
    tifmarie9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't agree with this. You might not find a person beautiful but someone does.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    1_ugly+people.jpg
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've been thinking about this a lot and I have conflicting opinions on this and would like to know what MFP thinks.

I've been browsing tumblr a lot and I've seen people post pictures of beautiful but morbidly obese people, saying how they're lovely and, "It doesn't matter if you're fat, you're beautiful just the way you are!" And while I agree that everyone is beautiful, being morbidly obese is not healthy.

So do you promote being beautiful in your own skin or do you promote losing weight to be healthy? I don't know! I'm so confused. What do you guys think?

People like that are exactly what's wrong w/ America.

No it's not ok that you're obese. Fix it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so what I like might not be what someone else likes. But obese is still obese.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    WOW...and the skinny b*tches come rolling out. Everyone has some type of beauty to them. It might not just be looks, but everyone is beautiful in some way. To be so shallow as to look at someone's physcal looks and judge on their beauty is an ugly thing to do. But to look at someone who may not have super model looks and say they are beautiful because of their bubbly personality is something that can make you beautiful. And just because one person may think someone is "ugly" or unattractive doesn't mean that there's someone out there who thinks they are VERY attractive. It's all about personal preference really.
    Did you actually read the entire post or just the first few words? To quote from it: "actions have a huge impact on whether you're beautiful".
    Not everybody is beautiful. Ugliness starts in somebody's personality, not in how they look.
    She obviously didn't read the comment at all!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Wow. How shallow can all of you be? When did we go from obesity is not healthy to fat and ugly people are ugly as *kitten*. You all have a lot of growing up to do.
    I don't know what thread you have been reading but that is definitely not what is being said. People are saying ugliness starts with a persons attitude to others.

In other words: it is not physical appearance that makes a person beautiful or ugly, it is the way they treat others that makes them beautiful or ugly.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    eye roll.

I don't agree that "everyone" is beautiful. Also, I don't think body composition is the only thing that impacts your level of beauty, imho, actions have a huge impact on whether you're beautiful.

But c'mon.....physical attractiveness is not present in all humans. It's just a fact. Sorry.

WOW...and the skinny b*tches come rolling out. Everyone has some type of beauty to them. It might not just be looks, but everyone is beautiful in some way. To be so shallow as to look at someone's physcal looks and judge on their beauty is an ugly thing to do. But to look at someone who may not have super model looks and say they are beautiful because of their bubbly personality is something that can make you beautiful. And just because one person may think someone is "ugly" or unattractive doesn't mean that there's someone out there who thinks they are VERY attractive. It's all about personal preference really.

Those that live in glass b*tch houses shouldnt throw stones yes its all about preference and opinion so shes not intitled to hers? I also like how the people getting worked up about her opinion that was directed at no one are making personal attacks Thats SUCH an attractive trait (sarcasm)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    1_ugly+people.jpg
    Stop posting pictures of me! :angry:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PandaofDestruction
    Options
    My opinion: I accept myself the way that I am and my husband thinks I am gorgeous at the weight I am now...however I am losing weight to be healthier....to be honest I do not want to be "skinny" my ultimate goal it to be a size 12 to a size 10 and I love being "plus size"......I think society makes those who are obese uncomfortable by the stigma attached..ie: Lazy overeaters. I have always thought that I was beautiful no matter what size I have been, I have been every size from a 9 juniors to now a 24w...and I do not lack self confidence, ambition, education, love or compassion...I do feel that some of my obese friends let the reactions of others really get them down or set them back, especially reactions from the opposite sex, it just ruins them...what I think needs to happen, is that people of all sizes need to be aware how they treat everyone they encounter and don't make such quick judgement calls. So I say be whatever size makes you happy, if you aren't happy with yourself change, and don't judge others or "make fun" of others big or small.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think if obesity and beauty had anything to do with each other websites like myfitnesspal would be nonexistent. 80 pounds prior to how I am now I remember rationalizing it by saying things like "I am just a bigger guy" or "I like how I look, it doesn't matter what other people think"...

I feel a million times better about myself now. Obesity is not beautiful, its one of the leading causes of death in this country...
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

WOW wtf are you talking about? Nobody said that
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I think being active and healthy is most important. I've been chubby and I've been super skinny. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd be chubby again in a heartbeat over being super skinny. I was stronger and healthier when I was a little overweight. When I was skinny, I was weak, frail, felt cold and got sick all the time. Granted, I'd rather be where I am now, but being skinny sucked.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    eye roll.

I don't agree that "everyone" is beautiful. Also, I don't think body composition is the only thing that impacts your level of beauty, imho, actions have a huge impact on whether you're beautiful.

But c'mon.....physical attractiveness is not present in all humans. It's just a fact. Sorry.

Did you actually read the entire post or just the first few words? To quote from it: "actions have a huge impact on whether you're beautiful".

Not everybody is beautiful. Ugliness starts in somebody's personality, not in how they look.

OK, I am willing to admit when I am wrong. You are correct, I did not read her entire post, I skimmed it because the minute I saw the eye roll and not every one is beautiful and physical attractiveness is not present in all humans at the end of her post, I got very upset. So many people are so shallow in looking just at the physical and it really upsets me, because when people are like that, it's no wonder there are so many girls that are anorexic. So I apologize for not reading your whole post. I hope ya'll have a wonderful evening :)
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think everyone could be beautiful to somebody... but imo i do not believe that big is beautiful...not saying you have to be stick figure but theres nothing beautiful about being obese

Except, obviously, to people who find large people beautiful. And there are many of them out there.
    Have a look at any BBW site for plenty of evidence.

And realistically, what makes people beautiful really is not just physical. There's a quality beyond the physical that makes some people very beautiful even though they're miles from what received wisdom regards as attractive.

Pretty much sums up my opinion!!

Beauty is definitely not a definition of how skinny someone is, I believe that its how you present yourself to those around you. I know some beautiful overweight women and some pretty ugly skinny ones, and also vice versa.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Stop posting pictures of me! :angry:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I'm sorry :flowerforyou:
  • tarachannel
    Options
    I promote minding your own business if the body doesn't personally belong to you, frankly.
  • PandaofDestruction
    Options
    I'm over 300 lbs. My goal is not to be "beautiful" because I already have that within. Sure I get insecure and I look in the mirror some days and think "I suck".. but I like who I am, I like the person I am, and believe it or not, I get much more attention at this weight and this size than I did when I was younger and thinner.

That being said, my goal is to get fit. To not just feel good in my own skin, but feel healthy in it. I will never be "thin." I'm a big girl, big boobs, big hips and thighs, so I know I'll never look model thin or picture book "beautiful." But I will be the best I can be, and love myself along the way, thick or thin.

Love this!
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    What is going on on this thread?:noway: I just go t on here and made post and I had to go back and start reading because people are so close minded and make topics what they want them to be so that they can have something b*tch about. We all have our own opinions but belittling others and personally attacking people is wrong.

It is kind of funny to read all this though! :laugh:
  • krissybabydoll
    Options
    Obesity isn't beautiful. Obesity causes ill health including high blood pressure, diabetes and eventually death. An Obese person can be beautiful INSIDE, of course, but being obese and unfit is ridiculously unhealthy and anyone who is obese needs to see someone to address the causes of their overeating. They need to work through their issues and learn how eat good foods and learn to nourish their bodies in a healthy way.
    Being Obese isn't just a physical thing its mainly emotional and due to deep personal issues that are being suppressed, the individual eats to cover those feelings, even if they aren't aware of it.
    So if the issues are addressed and the person can find a new way to deal with those feelings, slowly they can change their attitude towards food and not just eat to suppress feelings. It'd take a lot of time and work because these people have been fat their whole lives. But therapy, help and support can get anyone down to a healthier weight.
  • SaToBSaT
    SaToBSaT Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I have beheld myself many times in a mirror and not felt beautiful on any level. While we can agree that being obese does impact our quality of life to say that being "healthy" (i.e. skinny) is more attractive we become what everyone of us has experienced at some point: prejudice. We become what drove us to lose the weight so we no longer feel that pain or guilt. So while being obese is not healthy it does not make a person ugly. Judging them based on how they look and not who they are is.