So I went to the lady doctor yesterday

Options
So went to the doctor yesterday for the yearly lady appointment and weighed in at 217, fully clothed with these beautiful Bandolino boots I bought myself for my birthday. Last year at the lady appointment I weighed 281, just shy of my highest. My doctor really didn't comment on my weight at either appointment. That kind of pisses me off. Anyone's lady doctor do this? Or the reverse? He's been the only doctor I've seen in the last 5+ years as I don't have a GP.

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to the doctor (GP) I didnt get to see my normal lady doctor which I prefer and it was a young, cute, guy doctor and he mentioned my large weight gain since the last time after looking at my charts. I was so embarrassed! He was very professional about it and not judgemental at all! But I have been wanting to go back so he can see that I have lost the excess plus a few more! lol...but not wanting to get sick lol
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My doctor sometimes will comment, sometimes not. I don't take it personally.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why doctors don't mention weight issues. It doesn't make sense to me that something that could cause such dangerous health issues is not even mentioned.

I just assume it is
    1.) They aren't supposed to. ....sicker people mean more $$$
    2.) They have taken enough abuse from patients to just stop saying anything, assuming people KNOW they have a weight problem, and wanting to keep patients - again with the $$$
    3.) They are so pressed for time, that they simply deal with the problems that are the most pressing or that the patient is concerned about.

It makes no sense, no matter what the reason. I have cured all my health issues by cleaning up my diet, exercising, and losing 50 pounds. So the $$$ should follow prevention, in my book.
  • tonialeem
    Options
    I find it funny how they'll ask you all kind of random questions, like do I wake in the night to urinate? really you beleive that is important but losing weight isn't?
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What makes me angry is when I was at my highest weight (181) my doctor didn't even TALK to me about it. I was in partial denial, but I think it should be discussed.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    My lady doctor (she) never comments on my weight - ever. Even after I lost 100 lbs. BUT my primary care doctor always comments on my weight. Even if I'm 5 lbs higher than he wants me to be at! He notices, she doesn't say anything.
  • LazyDaise
    LazyDaise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I went to the Uni Dr about my weight and he said I could carry it off due to my height. He was pretty old and it felt as if he was basically saying that he thought i was still attractive enough!
  • joyfulnoise27870
    joyfulnoise27870 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My OBGYN was very encouraging. Although he did make me a little ill at first. When he came in the room he said- Wow, you've lost almost 100 lbs since last year- how long ago did you have gastric bypass surgery?....I looked at him kinda funny and said- I haven't had bypass surgery. He then apolozied and said usually patients with that much weight loss have had surgery. He congratulated me on my will power and determination. I told him my husband had also lost 65 lbs and we were exercising and eating healthier. I had to go back a few months later and he apolozied again and told me how proud he was of me. My regular dr has also been supportive and encouraging.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Screw your doctor. Way to go on the loss!!!!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My doctor didn't mention my weight until I went to him because I was worried that the edema in my lower legs was due to congestive heart failure or kidney disease. He ruled out both of those problems and advised me to quit eating doughnuts.
  • xjackie83
    xjackie83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've never had a lady doctor comment on my weight even though I'm in the "extremely overweight" range. Even when I visit a GP, unless I'm going for a yearly physical, the doctor won't comment on it.
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I never go visit my GP any more. She watched me balloon up after quitting smoking and didn't help me at all.

I think she was afraid I'd go back to cigarettes.

One time I nurse noticed that I'd lost 8 pounds and she was really wonderful about it!

I do visit my OBGYN annually and sadly, my weight hasn't changed much over the last several years. I am really looking forward to my visit next summer though.
    Even though my weight loss has been slow, surely by then it will be noticeable.

I am focusing very hard on building up muscle, which will increase my metabolism and should eventually make me smaller and weigh less!
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on the awesome weight loss. While my "lady doctor" never comments on my weight, I'd be a little miffed if I were you...

I have rheumatoid arthritis and my rheumatologist couldn't say enough about me losing 20 lbs! She kept telling all her assistants/nurses to look at me, what a great job I did. I wish more doctors were like that!
  • klb620
    klb620 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I was seen for knee pain, we talked about my weight and how losing it would probably cure a lot of my knee pain........ I'm hoping. Its too bad that I moved and won't see that Dr again, when I DO lose this extra baggage, I would have loved for him to have asked me about my weight loss/ knee pain. LOL
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was at the doctor a week ago and both she and her nurse commented on my weight loss and how great I've been doing. (My doctor also commented on my awesome arm definition.)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm going in April and am actually looking forward to seeing what my weight was last year and comparing.

As for my doctor, I honestly don't expect him to remember exactly how I looked a year ago, since he's usually focused on one or two areas (and sees a whole lot of patients from one year to the next)....but if he doesn't notice the change on the chart, I'll be happy to tell him.....LOL!
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i always bring it up at annual exams but usually say something like..."are you happy with your weight?'. that usually leads to a discussion and i get a feeling if a person really wants advice or not. i try to be sensitive and always bring it up if there is a large loss or a large gain...many times there are other emotional issues involved then.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My GP always notices and comments and probably will again when I see her this afternoon. I think she sees it as a personal achievement by her because she wrote my referral to my gastric band surgeon even though I have done all the actual work!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My doctor never mentioned my weight... then again I am thinner than she is.
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! My obgyn has never said anything, but my normal doctor does. Maybe it doesn't mean as much to the one as the other? I'm not actually sure. I know it must mean something because they weigh you :laugh: